Synthetic blend for a Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it looks like I may inherit a 2011 Hyundai Elantra base model. I have OEM filters, now wondering which synthetic blend oil to use. It probably won't get driven much also. Magnatec blend or Pennzoil "GOLD" blend? Discuss

Either one will be fine ... they are both great. I know that SOPUS oils run smoothly in Hyundai/KIA vehicles. I believe that Castrol Magnatec would also be an excellent choice ... KCJeep would suggest it. He has been using it in his KIA with great results. If you go to Castrol's website, the first oil they recommend in their lineup for the Hyundai Elantra is Magnatec.

^^^ The website actually recommends Magnatec 5W-20 first, but that's just because the manual/cap recommend 5W-20 first. If you click on "More Products", the next recommendation is Magnatec 5W-30.

I'd say whatever is on sale. Hyundai's only real requirement is SM or higher. I stick with full synthetic in my Elantra since it's GDI, but I don't think they were in '11.

SM/GF-4 are only requirement. Any current SN/GF-5 will be an improvement on that recommendation, including Pnzl Gld or Cstrl Mtech. Congrats on the car.

Son, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Magnatec all day and twice on Sunday.
smile.gif

Both of them will be good choices for sure. In reading how many people on here who have been very pleased with Magnatec I would lean that way.

My 2011 gdi Sonata factory fill is plain old qs 5w20.
That is all I need.
You can use most any oil you like.
I think qsud full synthetic has rebates down to about $10.

My wife has the same car. I have used many oils in it so far. I would rate them like this, best to worst, main factors being mpg and smoothness.
1. QSUD
2. Pennzoil plat.
3. Magnatec
4. Edge
5. Super tech synthetic
6. Super tech conventional
7. Royal purple
8. Mobil-1 afe
I was surprised with how noisy the nu motor was with the M1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back