2008 Lexus RX 350 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hypervish

If that's indeed the case... The RX350 has the U151e or U151f transmission depending on FWD or AWD. It is of course made by Aisin Warner.

As far as fluid choices, to each their own.
smile.gif

Thanks - good point E or F take the same fluid.

Originally Posted By: StevenR
I was planning on using some Auto RX in the tranny and the power steering.

Don't. First, it's not needed. Second, there is no PS fluid in it, is it?

Car shipper showed up at my driveway about 1pm today. Unloaded the RX , inspected it, paid him. Took it for a 10 mile drive. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and powerful, just what I've come to expect from a Lexus. Exterior is perfect not a scratch that I could see and the interior in black with the wood accents is just beautiful. I'm very pleased. The 14 day temp license, owners manual and extra key will be overnighted. The shipper picked it up early so the dealer didn't have time for a detail and full tank of gas, so they included $250.00 for a detail and gas in the refund check for my down payment. ( down payment on plastic )

Very happy with this online transaction, good communication, paperwork overnighted, shipper contacted, these guys got it down. Saw the RX online on 1/30, today it's in my garage, pretty sweet. If anyone is looking for a car online check out Mercedes Benz of Omaha, I dealt with Carrie Cleasby.

I did spot a tranny cooler under the bumper on the drivers side, that's good.( towing package ? )

Without the owners manual yet, I was wondering how to engage AWD. Is it the ECT/SNOW button on the gear selector?

I've lived in Minnesota all my life and use synthetics in all my vehicles. This winter is bad, 10-20 below zero much more than normal. Synthetics rule in the cold. Is Toyota WS fluid synthetic ? If not I'd like to add some Amsoil to it. I'll run Mobil 1 5-30 in the engine and Mobll 1 ATF in the power steering. Sound good ?

Not sure what you mean by the PS fluid question friendly jacek.

Maybe tomorrow I can check and see if I have the upgraded oil cooler pipe, and metal VVTi line. What side of the engine is the oil cooler on ?

Thanks for all the responses, appreciate it.

2008 Lexus RX 350 Flint MIca/blk 80,000 miles
1998 Lexus SC 300 DWP/beige 144,000 miles

I did spot a tranny cooler under the bumper on the drivers side, that's good.( towing package ? )

Without the owners manual yet, I was wondering how to engage AWD. Is it the ECT/SNOW button on the gear selector?

Usually OEM external transmission coolers are stacked plate, and bolted to the car with holes that were drilled at the factory. Aftermarket ones are usually tube and fin, and mount by plastic ties up to the radiator, or holes that were drilled using power tools. If you see SAE sized bolts, that probably means you have some aftermarket piece.

However, not all OEM coolers or aftermarket coolers are the same.

As for how the AWD works, read your user manual. Many cars would have a system that detects front wheelspin, then automatically sends power to the rear wheels until things normalize.

Car shipper showed up at my driveway about 1pm today. Unloaded the RX , inspected it, paid him. Took it for a 10 mile drive. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and powerful, just what I've come to expect from a Lexus. Exterior is perfect not a scratch that I could see and the interior in black with the wood accents is just beautiful. I'm very pleased. The 14 day temp license, owners manual and extra key will be overnighted. The shipper picked it up early so the dealer didn't have time for a detail and full tank of gas, so they included $250.00 for a detail and gas in the refund check for my down payment. ( down payment on plastic )

Very happy with this online transaction, good communication, paperwork overnighted, shipper contacted, these guys got it down. Saw the RX online on 1/30, today it's in my garage, pretty sweet. If anyone is looking for a car online check out Mercedes Benz of Omaha, I dealt with Carrie Cleasby.

I've lived in Minnesota all my life and use synthetics in all my vehicles. This winter is bad, 10-20 below zero much more than normal. Synthetics rule in the cold. Is Toyota WS fluid synthetic ? If not I'd like to add some Amsoil to it. I'll run Mobil 1 5-30 in the engine and Mobll 1 ATF in the power steering. Sound good ?

Maybe tomorrow I can check and see if I have the upgraded oil cooler pipe, and metal VVTi line. What side of the engine is the oil cooler on ?

Thanks for all the responses, appreciate it.

2008 Lexus RX 350 Flint MIca/blk 80,000 miles

Glad to hear the RX is in great condition, and just what you expected!

If you have the transmission cooler, then yes you have the towing package!

You can access the manual online for free: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/owners-manual-search.do

You can also have Lexus mail you a new manual for free.

Originally Posted By: Press Release Statement from 2007
The AWD RX 350 model features a viscous limited-slip center differential, which enhances drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system provides a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split. If slippage occurs, the viscous differential directs torque to the wheels with the most traction.

The ECT/SNOW button starts the transmission off in 2nd gear and adjusts throttle response.

Mobil 1 ATF in the power steering is like GOLD! These car's love it!

Location of the Oil Cooler Line:
159344d1260803118-certain-2007-rx350-needs-vvt-i-oil-hose-replacement-1.jpg

159370d1260818225-certain-2007-rx350-needs-vvt-i-oil-hose-replacement-1.jpg

159679d1261160641-certain-2007-rx350-needs-vvt-i-oil-hose-replacement-1.jpg

Hey hypervish thanks for the great info again. One problem I found is the PO installed a bug deflector on the hood which has weakened the strut holding the hood up due to the extra weight, so I have to prop the hood open. Never liked bug deflectors so this ones coming off. It's an AVS. I just hope the pads that contact the paint haven't messed up the paint or have adhesive on them. UUGGHHH !!! Other than that I'm loving it !!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: hypervish

Let's be honest here, I think you know the answer to all of those questions. You just wanted to make a jab at Toyota.

Absolutely I did not. I just know there are better choices than using Toyota WS branded fluid.

So Pablo did you say Amsoil ATL is compatible with Toyota WS. ? Thinking of doing 50/50 ... or ?

2008 Lexus RX 350 Flint Mica/blk 80,000 miles

I seem lexus es with bad transmission, it's so sad that the odo is only 120,000 miles. Don't be cheap. Change transmission fluid.

We all know toyota can go 400k to 500k miles very easy.

Hey hypervish thanks for the great info again. One problem I found is the PO installed a bug deflector on the hood which has weakened the strut holding the hood up due to the extra weight, so I have to prop the hood open. Never liked bug deflectors so this ones coming off. It's an AVS. I just hope the pads that contact the paint haven't messed up the paint or have adhesive on them. UUGGHHH !!! Other than that I'm loving it !!

You're welcome!

Hopefully it cleans up nicely after removing the bug deflector.

Modern Toyotas use electric PS, hence no fluid.

Never mind, EPS came to RX350 only in 2009. Weird, both my 2006 RAV4 and 2007 Yaris have them.

Last edited:
Hpervish, you're quite a resource on the Rx350 and I suspect other "things" too.

Just like StevenR, I have recently bought a 2008 RX350 for my life partner (40years now). She was driving an old 1992 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 281 milesup until a couple weeks ago. The RX is quite a step up....

The RX was lady driven (Korean) but husband mostly in Korea. I believe things only got fixed when things started to go wrong.

An per the TSB's you mention, the oil cooler twin pipe has been replaced by steel ones. However also as you say some people got a new updated rubber VVT-i line which I got. Should I worry about this and try to find a steel replacement. The Lexus dealer has never seen one and wouldn't acknowledge a picture of yours which I showed the mechanic and the parts guy. Could you help with a part number please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back