STP Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a couple of vague searches here and came up empty...anybody have the scoop on STP Synthetic oil ? Good, bad, indifferent ? I'm guessing roughly equivalent to SuperTech full syn or Napa Syn maybe ?

With other quality oils like PP and M1 easily available at a good price I see no need to try an unknown like STP. If you want a less costly synthetic, pick up NAPA synthetic when its on sale. Or Walmart SuperTech.

Yeah I figured... may just buy some and VOA it, contribute to the group a little.
smile.gif

No VOA yet but found CAS numbers etc. from their SDS on the STP.com website...

Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 // 30 - 70%
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light paraffinic 64742-55-8 // 5 – 30%
Petroleum distillates, solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic 64742-65-0 // 5 - 15%

Well travlnman if it meets Dexos specification then it is a solid performer. If you find an oil that meets Dexos and HTO-06 then even a bit higher on the scale of specifications.
But a Dexos approved oil is a good option except for the European manufactors who have to meet BMW LL-04 or MB 229.5 etc.

My brother works at Autozone and says it sells quite well. The 5w30 and 5w20 are Dexos rated so I would be willing to be there are a good oil, good for at least an 8k oil change. Personally, I don't think STP synthetic and an STP extended life oil filter for $25 is a terrible bad deal. I personally would run it if it wasn't for getting rebates on other oils making for synthetic oil changes under $20. I do like to support my local autozone so for others who want a synthetic oil change that I do changes for, I usually go with this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back