Dollar General oil Now SN and ILSAC GF-5 rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: jongies3
I wouldn't use any store brand named oil. You just have no idea what's in it. Probably something really cheap and likely the leftovers from the refining process the actual oil company didn't want in their own oil so they sold the leftovers to DG for dirt cheap. No thanks!

Why would you need to know what's in it if it meets the specification required for your vehicle? Are you claiming that if the spec is on the store brand bottle it's likely a lie, and if on their site, PQIA is complicit in the lie?

And tell me, do you know what's in Pennzoil?

You could fool PQIA really easily.

AA only measures elements.

You could put elemental zinc powder in your oil, and it would be detected as an additive.

I wouldn't use any store brand named oil. You just have no idea what's in it...

Every store brand of oil rated SN tested by PQIA is a quality product probably made by two or three large blenders. There's no problem using it though there may be better options, especially at their price point...

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I wouldn't use any store brand named oil. You just have no idea what's in it. Probably something really cheap and likely the leftovers from the refining process the actual oil company didn't want in their own oil so they sold the leftovers to DG for dirt cheap. No thanks!

Why would you need to know what's in it if it meets the specification required for your vehicle? Are you claiming that if the spec is on the store brand bottle it's likely a lie, and if on their site, PQIA is complicit in the lie?

Now you're just making stuff up! Show an engine failure resulting from an oil PQIA has tested and shown to meet spec's...

Local Dollar General here as well just started carrying their brand of SN rated motor oil in a couple of weights in their typical black and yellow quart bottle for $2.75 per quart. Had to do a double take to look for the SN rating. Yes, they still also carry the non SN rated oil in the same color scheme bottle (SA rating). Kind of confusing, especially for the people who do not look closely at motor oil bottle labels and read the fine print on the back.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I wouldn't use any store brand named oil. You just have no idea what's in it...

Every store brand of oil rated SN tested by PQIA is a quality product probably made by two or three large blenders. There's no problem using it though there may be better options, especially at their price point...

Nickdfresh, I agree with you ... there is nothing wrong with PQIA tested SN/GF-5 store brand oil. NAPA motor oil is an example of high quality store brand oil, and I have purchased it at good sale prices, both conventional and synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
Same here, I couldn't find anything, thanks for the search though.

You're welcome .... If I find out anything, I'll post it here.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: Jake54
Same here, I couldn't find anything, thanks for the search though.

You're welcome .... If I find out anything, I'll post it here.

I was just in DG and I looked at the bottom of the SN/GF-5 DG motor oil ... It said WSE on the bottom, which is Warren Distribution (Warren Southeast). You mentioned that where you're located it said "JDS". I have no idea what that stands for. I searched a bit to try to find out, but I came up with nothing. So, I don't know. Sorry Jake.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I see nothing wrong whatsoever with DG selling this oil. The label clearly states what is it intended to be used for. If people are too stupid to READ the label and follow the instructions,then they deserve to suffer the consequences.

+1

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Now you're just making stuff up! Show an engine failure resulting from an oil PQIA has tested and shown to meet spec's...

It's a hypothetical scenario. It could happen.

Also we all know that linking any engine failure to a specific brand of oil is very difficult.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I see nothing wrong whatsoever with DG selling this oil. The label clearly states what is it intended to be used for. If people are too stupid to READ the label and follow the instructions,then they deserve to suffer the consequences.

I have no issues with it being sold. I have issues with the product placement. It's right next to the modern oils.

Walmart sells oil with this rating as well. In the lawn and garden section where it belongs.

well, that went left field quickly, if we're comparing the price of something, I would still rather use supertech conv/syn or Formula shell conventional based on performance and price, ive used formula shell before for a 5k run, my car ran like a top.

AA only measures elements.

You could put elemental zinc powder in your oil, and it would be detected as an additive.

Have you ever run AAs? From my experience, I think I'm safe in saying that you'd spot elemental zinc pretty quickly in the instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back