Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just going to let bitog pick for me here's the choices
1 pennzoil platinum 0w20
2. Synpower 0w20
3. Castrol edge 0w20
4. Mobil 1 0w20
All I ask is you say the one you would use and give me a good reason why
I don't care about price or what's on sale. I just want to know why scientifically you would pick the one you did. I'm buying oil this evening so whichever gets the most votes is what I am getting .
Filter I'll from do a fram tough guard or a mopar filter. Thanks everyone .

How about this? What basis do you have to justify one over the other? Viscosity, NOACK, etc?

I suspect that M1 EP 0w-20 has the most PAO and so the PAO lovers will push that. Similarly the PP will be pushed by those who like GTL base stocks.

Reality is you probably can't go wrong with any...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How about this? What basis do you have to justify one over the other? Viscosity, NOACK, etc?

I suspect that M1 EP 0w-20 has the most PAO and so the PAO lovers will push that. Similarly the PP will be pushed by those who like GTL base stocks.

Reality is you probably can't go wrong with any...

+1.

I would probably go with PP, that's what I'm currently using in my 2015 Caravan.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
1 pennzoil platinum 0w20
2. Synpower 0w20
3. Castrol edge 0w20
4. Mobil 1 0w20
I don't care about price or what's on sale. I just want to know why scientifically you would pick the one you did. I'm buying oil this evening so whichever gets the most votes is what I am getting .

I prefer the oil packages that don't have sodium or magnesium. So that leaves Castrol and Pennzoil. Pennzoil has been consistent with their add packs for the past several years so I suspect they'll stay there. Castrol just moved away from their heavy magnesium pack last year, but could return to it. So for me it's Pennzoil...and by coincidence their pricing is the best right now. And the availability of Pennzoil and their various grades seems excellent. I don't know about the "better cleaning" theory they put out. They probably all clean well.

Price-wise right now Pennzoil is the cheapest at $12+/jug via Walmart rollback + $10 Pennz rebate. And the rebate runs all year long....up to 48 qts.

If your car warranty requires a 0w that's fine. If not, there's probably no need for a 0w down in Southern Mo. based on ambient temps. I've not compared the HTHS values of these four 0w-20 grades, but I suspect that Mobil 1 and Castrol would be the strongest. If a stronger 20 grade is important to you, that might be the deciding factor. The Pennzoils tend to be at the middle to below average end of the viscosity ranges. Fwiw I don't even see a 0w-20 listed on the Castrol web site.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
1 pennzoil platinum 0w20
2. Synpower 0w20
3. Castrol edge 0w20
4. Mobil 1 0w20

I prefer the oil packages that don't have sodium or magnesium. So that leaves Castrol and Pennzoil. Pennzoil has been consistent with their add packs for the past several years so I suspect they'll stay there. Castrol just moved away from their heavy magnesium pack last year, but could return to it. So for me it's Pennzoil...and by coincidence their pricing is the best right now. And the availability of Pennzoil and their various grades seems excellent. I don't know about the "better cleaning" theory they put out. They probably all clean well.

Price-wise right now Pennzoil is the cheapest at $12+/jug via Walmart rollback + $10 Pennz rebate. And the rebate runs all year long....up to 48 qts.

If your car warranty requires a 0w that's fine. If not, there's probably no need for a 0w down in Southern Mo. based on ambient temps. I've not compared the HTHS values of these four 0w-20 grades, but I suspect that Mobil 1 and Castrol would be the strongest. If a stronger 20 grade is important to you, that might be the deciding factor. The Pennzoils tend to be at the middle to below average end of the viscosity ranges. Fwiw I don't even see a 0w-20 listed on the Castrol web site.

Why do you prefer add packs with out sodium or magnesium?

I vote PP 0w20. I just ran PP 5w30 in my Camry for 7,500 miles and it did great, here's the link to the UOA :

LINK

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I vote PP 0w20. I just ran PP 5w30 in my Camry for 7,500 miles and it did great, here's the link to the UOA :

LINK

How come you used M1 in the car? Especially when you can get another free batch of Pennzoil with that promotion.
confused2.gif

PP if it were me. I've ran that a couple times and loved how it performed in my engine. Going back to it next change. It was noticeably quieter and ran a tad smoother over Mobil 1 which I ran for years. Any of them are a great choice, though.

Why do you prefer add packs with out sodium or magnesium?

Out of all the well known major oil companies only Valvoline uses the sodium add pack. The rest that use it are the boutique companies like RP, Lukoil, Schaeffer, etc. Of the majors only M1 is using the heavy magnesium add pack. So I guess I'm staying with the majority of players that use the higher calcium packages, preferably with boron/moly (like PP). M1 0w-40 is an exception from the 20/30 grades as it is a very high calcium, no magnesium oil. I do use that. If everyone started offering magnesium and sodium oils maybe I'd go with that.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

LINK

How come you used M1 in the car? Especially when you can get another free batch of Pennzoil with that promotion.
confused2.gif

Cause I have a bunch of clearance oil in my stash, wanted to change it up. They offered me another kit.

Pennzoil Platinum. I run it in almost all of my vehicles & it's an excellent oil.

I prefer it due to the natural gas basestocks & many UOAs showing it is an excellent oil in pretty much any engine.

The other options are just fine too, but PP is my vote.

So I went to the local Walmart and the only thing 0w20 was valvoline synpower
Or mobil1 advanced fuel economy .
I know a 5w20 is fine I looked at them all and went with castrol because it has acea a1b1 pennzoil didn't at all and neither did the 0w20 Mobil some of them 5w30 did. Why doesn't pennzoil have that ? Also with the engine running it is noticeablly quieter than the synpower was. I'm happy with how smooth the engine is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back