Why did Toyota recommend a winter and summer oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that would depend upon what the manufacturer's confidence level was, given their application. In my personal vehicles, during those times, I was running 5w-30 year round, and before that, too.

You can run a 0w, 5w, or 10w-30 in the summer and you will never be able to tell the difference when it comes to fuel consumption and engine wear. Now in the winter it might be a different story depending on what city you spend most of your time in.

I am currently running 10w-30 Pennzoil Ultra in my truck for the summer but I will switch to a 5w-30 for the winter. I have tried the 0w's a couple times but I don't think the advantages of this weight over a quality synthetic 5w-30 really comes into play until you get down to -15 or -20F or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

But in the end, just get a quality 5w-30 and you will be a happy camper.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Because in 1992 a 10W-30 was more shear stable than a 5W-30.

I would guess that this could still be true depending on application.

An OM for a new car in Australia still use good old viscosity charts.

According to them, 10w30 is better for higher heat.

Would we see this sort of heat in the US? Depending on where you live, of course..

Originally Posted By: Pontual
1990 conventional oils 10w30 having less Viscosity Index Improver, than a 5w30, so the 10w30 wouldn't become at operating temperature, just a 20 after a few thousand of miles, or way later. They feared a less than SAE30 oil, like 20 weight, haha.
grin.gif

Agree with Pontual......... for early 90's.
grin.gif

It may not be the same in 2016's.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianApp
Is there an advantage to 10 vs 5 in the summer?
when I get oil next week the 5 is right next to the 10. For those in the know, which is better with today's oil technology?
MY 99 Camry lists 10W 30 as an alternative oil and suggests that 5W 30 is preferred. My '08 V6 Camry lists 5W 30 as the ONLY oil period. You seem to tbe getting OCD over this and buying a lot of uninformed bleep from the thin oil set.

It still is more shear stable.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Trolling.gif

Not necessary .....typically where a 10W30 SN GF5 vs 5W30 C3 A3B4.

Remember oils from that era had up to 22% NOACK and VII was more shear prone.

Summer - Run the oil that has less volatility and shears less.

Winter - Run the oil with better flow at low temps.

Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: BrianApp
I have a 1992 Toyota Camry and the manual recommends a 5-30 for winter ops and a 10-30 for summer time. ...

Because it is from 1992 and a completely different era of oil formulation and engine design. Prior to that many manufacturers said that "5W-30 is not recommended for sustained, high speed driving"...

What you actually use in it depends on the current condition of the engine and maintenance history. But 5W-30 could be fine year round...

That being said I'd just follow the OEM spec and use a quality HM oil...

My 1988 Mercury Tracer recommended 10W-40 year round but said 15W-40 or 20W-50 would be fine in hotter climates. Again, a completely different era...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Trolling.gif

It is, but not enough to warrant concern in 90% of cars...

Most newer vehicles operated normally doesn't matter which is used 5W30 or 10W30, if xW30 is the recommended grade especially for vehicles in a more moderated climate such as So Cal.

I can use xW30 in 2006 Volvo V70 all year, but I use only 10W30 not 5W30 in S2000. The reason is S2000 is a little hard on oil and 10W30 is much more shear stable than 5W30 of the same type (dino vs dino, syn vs syn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back