2002 Buick Century, M1 0w40 LL01, 5,522 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure about the timing chain sheering oil because GM uused to use plastic type gears for the push rod engines and the gears lasted quite a while before failing being plastic.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't think I've worn out all the lead yet because copper is within normal limits. Most gm engines throw lots more copper than this in healthy condition.
I also noted my silicon dropped because the air filter has been in for over two years now undisturbed. I am thinking this helped wear too.

Though the oil appears normal, there is abnormal and unusual boundary lubrication/physical contact in the bearings, and obvious failures in achieving hydrodynamic lubrication regimes.
Hence, Addyguy's recommendation above of 15W40 makes perfect sense.
I would consider venturing into xW50 in this application.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
I don't think I've worn out all the lead yet because copper is within normal limits. Most gm engines throw lots more copper than this in healthy condition.
I also noted my silicon dropped because the air filter has been in for over two years now undisturbed. I am thinking this helped wear too.

Though the oil appears normal, there is abnormal and unusual boundary lubrication/physical contact in the bearings, and obvious failures in achieving hydrodynamic lubrication regimes.
Hence, Addyguy's recommendation above of 15W40 makes perfect sense.
I would consider venturing into xW50 in this application.
blush.gif

No way I'd run anything thicker than Rotella T6 5w40, it gets pretty cold in the winter

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Unfortunately the lower intake manifold gaskets have been replaced once already but it was right before I took ownership so I don't think they used the problem solver gaskets.

Bar's Leaks liquid copper LIM gasket sealer has fixed a couple of those stupid things for me. Worth a shot.

That would be a temporary fix at best, besides, he shows no evidence of coolant leakage.

Also note that I got a trace rating in insolubles with the Fram Ultra

What filters were you using before?

I am thinking if trying a Fram Ultra after finding visible metal particles using Denso and Toyota branded filters.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
901Memphis said:
What filters were you using before?

I am thinking if trying a Fram Ultra after finding visible metal particles using Denso and Toyota branded filters.

So you were able to determine that the particles you saw were metal? Even if they were, then they were abnormal and not a result of the filter. If those were metal particles they shouldn't have been there regardless of the filter type.

In other words, if there were visible metal particles in your oil then it wasn't a problem with the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back