Corded drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My Milwaukee USA built drill is getting long in the tooth. They've all been moved offshore, and IIRC, they're owned by a Chinese company.

I'm looking at the dewalt dw235G, an 8.5A drill with a decent size and hand feel (though not as good as my Milwaukee Magnum), that is built in the USA at least.

Any thought on dewalt vs Milwaukee vs others for corded drills? I have a multi-speed Swiss made Bosch hammer that is way long, and a 1/4 or 3/8" Japanese made old makita, but it's only single speed.

Thoughts on dewalt corded tools? I don't own any from them yet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My Milwaukee USA built drill is getting long in the tooth. They've all been moved offshore, and IIRC, they're owned by a Chinese company.

I'm looking at the dewalt dw235G, an 8.5A drill with a decent size and hand feel (though not as good as my Milwaukee Magnum), that is built in the USA at least.

Any thought on dewalt vs Milwaukee vs others for corded drills? I have a multi-speed Swiss made Bosch hammer that is way long, and a 1/4 or 3/8" Japanese made old makita, but it's only single speed.

Thoughts on dewalt corded tools? I don't own any from them yet.

What will you be using the corded drill for? I would first look on CL to see if you can find a good used drill for a good price, as well as being USA made.

I bought a corded Dewalt hammer drill with the mid drill grip. like the black and decker from the popular mechanics website,

my must haves were the nice hard case and I bought a keyless chuck to put on it. it is a bit heavy for general use but can do everything I need it to

here

dwd525k_a21.jpg

keyed chuck removal wasnt too difficult, basically put a big hex key in it and smack it with a hammer,, new keyless chuck was a Jacobs

drill-chuck-sleeve-type.jpg

keyless chuck I added had to be a double sleeve in order to tighten it because the drill would still spin by hand when off power

Last edited:
I might do just that - rebuild the Milwaukee. They say you can't have too many drills though, right?

My mikwaukee gets REALLY hot under any use now. I think installed it with big hole saws a few too many times. Stupid me.

I might do just that - rebuild the Milwaukee. They say you can't have too many drills though, right?

My mikwaukee gets REALLY hot under any use now. I think installed it with big hole saws a few too many times. Stupid me.

+1
Rebuild it. They're made to be rebuilt. It's probably due for new brushes as well.

Have you been able to find a rebuild kit?

I always liked the Milwaukee 1/2'' drill with flutes on the drill chuck running horizontal. I always thought that looked bad-[censored].
grin2.gif

They were great drills, I still have my USA made one, its probably the best drill I ever had its certainly one of the strongest.
The problem is when the motors get hot its no always just the brushes that are shot it can be a bad winding, carbon/copper buildup in between the commutator, a worn commutator, etc.
I wouldn't buy a rebuild kit without putting the armature on a growler and checking the fields.
If its wiring is okay rebuild away.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Have you been able to find a rebuild kit?

Not enough hours in the day with everything else going on.

Not enough hours in the day with everything else going on.

Give me the model number of the drill and I'll find the rebuild kit.

I got more hours in the day than you do.
grin2.gif

I loved my DeWalt till I dropped it off a 6 foot ladder and it was toast
Ran down to the DeWalk shop for repair and them crooks wanted almost as much as a new
one to repair it .

I have a Makita 6302H 1/2-Inch Drill I really like.
Bought used off of Ebay. Great Drill.

BUMP !

JHZR2, what is the model number ?!!?

I want to go look at the exploded parts drawing.

I enjoy looking at exploded parts drawings.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back