PYB vs MC vs Magnatec vs PP Ford 5.4 3v 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would never run 5w20 with towing. My wife just took our Ford (FX2) with the 5.4 to Pennsylvania with a 14' trailer. Running Mobil 0w40. Truck runs much quieter than with 5w20. Gas mileage was excellent. Around 16 mpg. I am happy. I ll never go back to 5w20. 10w30 would be the thinnest. Try it and see what you like, anybody can follow a manual.
What is supposed to happen? I pulled a lot heavier than a 14' trailer with my FX4 for about 71,000 of the 158,000 miles I put on it before I traded it on my PSD. No problems whatsoever. All these fears of xW-20 remain completely unfounded.

I have a lot of info to sift through here and I appreciate all the replies. I'm still not any closer to deciding on what oil to select. I can't believe not one person has recommended PYB. On paper it really looks good especially the low NOACK.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What is supposed to happen? I pulled a lot heavier than a 14' trailer with my FX4 for about 71,000 of the 158,000 miles I put on it before I traded it on my PSD. No problems whatsoever. All these fears of xW-20 remain completely unfounded.

*Ahem* Let me see if I can remember how this goes:

"Your engine will surely be worn out as soon as your warranty is up"

"You must not take care of your vehicles very well"

"You are doing it wrong by following factory recommendations, they want your engine to fail so you continue to buy new cars"

"That stuff is like water"

Am I geting it right?

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I have a lot of info to sift through here and I appreciate all the replies. I'm still not any closer to deciding on what oil to select. I can't believe not one person has recommended PYB. On paper it really looks good especially the low NOACK.

PYB is great oil and you could even try Pennzoil Gold which I like and is a synthetic blend. Both of these are priced below $20 and depending on the oil filter you choose your total oil change cost could be less than $25 heck maybe even $20.

PYB was the BITOG oil of the month, about 9 months ago, when the PQIA tests showed it had a very low Noack volatility, which suggested excess GTL stock was being used in it's manufacture. All conjecture, but it led to a large PYB following.

Now I think Magnatec is the oil of the month due to some great UOA being posted. Very low iron wear numbers.

All good oils. Nothing to worry about with any of them.

If you had an 04 to 08 5.4 3v then I'd suggest a 30 weight or thicker.
D
2009+ 5.4 3v had significantly fewer cam phaser issues from my understanding.

BUT.....I don't think it was ever really tied to a 20 weight causing the initial cam phaser problems and was probably just bad design/quality control on ford's part. So there's that.

Any name brand 0/5w20/30/40 should work just fine. Plenty on the f150 forums run Rotella t 15w40 because the rest of thier fleet trucks with 5.4 3v do.

Last edited:
I would never run 5w20 with towing. My wife just took our Ford (FX2) with the 5.4 to Pennsylvania with a 14' trailer. Running Mobil 0w40. Truck runs much quieter than with 5w20. Gas mileage was excellent. Around 16 mpg. I am happy. I ll never go back to 5w20. 10w30 would be the thinnest. Try it and see what you like, anybody can follow a manual.

I tow 7-8k all the time nothing crazy ever happens in my 5.0 and the 5.4 the claims will stay unfounded lol

Originally Posted By: robo339
I tow 7-8k all the time nothing crazy ever happens in my 5.0 and the 5.4 the claims will stay unfounded lol
01.gif
It was 8-9K for me when I had it and it ran just fine when I traded it.

To throw in another choice I would consider QSUD 5W20 or 5W30. Its essentially a high moly PP. I would lean to 5W20 with an oil cooler and 5W30 without.

Originally Posted By: robo339
01.gif
It was 8-9K for me when I had it and it ran just fine when I traded it.
only thing they need is a better set of leafs in the rear to hold the weight right

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I'm amazed how much quieter my 2016 Escape runs on Magnatec over the original Motorcraft Semi-Syn...and I'm getting 5 qt jugs for $16 shipped to my door!

So that'd be my choice, plus the 5w-20 is Group III instead of the Group II/III blend of the 5w-30.

I've seriously considered Magnatec but I've already seen BP pull it from the US market the first time it was introduced. Where are you getting it for $16 shipped?

Correction, I WAS getting it for $16 shipped from Amazon with a subscription...looks like they jacked up the price so I'll be looking at something else.

Well now it went back down and is $15.20 a jug when subscribing! So it looks like Magnatec is back on the menu!

I'm amazed how much quieter my 2016 Escape runs on Magnatec over the original Motorcraft Semi-Syn...and I'm getting 5 qt jugs for $16 shipped to my door!

So that'd be my choice, plus the 5w-20 is Group III instead of the Group II/III blend of the 5w-30.

I've seriously considered Magnatec but I've already seen BP pull it from the US market the first time it was introduced. Where are you getting it for $16 shipped?

Correction, I WAS getting it for $16 shipped from Amazon with a subscription...looks like they jacked up the price so I'll be looking at something else.

Well now it went back down and is $15.20 a jug when subscribing! So it looks like Magnatec is back on the menu!

Thanks for the info. I could only find the 5w30 that price.

All good oils but I'll be the one to recommend PYB. I was using synthetic oil for about 80,000 miles in my 08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L. Got around to trying PYB and was surprised to get the best UOA wear numbers ever for my engine with 5K oil changes. This is for cold winter starts and summer time use. Use with confidence.

If your from the states your paying to much for oil. 5 quart jugs at walmart are the best deal ive seen.

I put 5w30 Magnatec in my 2005 F150 5.4 for the first time and it's quieter warm for sure. I used to make fun of people that said stuff like that but it is. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Originally Posted By: cb4017
All good oils but I'll be the one to recommend PYB. I was using synthetic oil for about 80,000 miles in my 08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L. Got around to trying PYB and was surprised to get the best UOA wear numbers ever for my engine with 5K oil changes. This is for cold winter starts and summer time use. Use with confidence.

And I'll be the second one to vote for PYB. Got the 2002 F150 Lariat Fx4 5.4 with 13,000 mi and now up to 94k miles with PYB 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back