Oil change recomendations for '11 Ranger 2.3 Liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Looking for a recommendation for the Ranger. I'll be looking at roughly driving 80% highway runs, 20k miles each way.

It'll add up to around 9k miles a year. We live in Alberta, and it gets cold in the winter, although the worst start of the day is in an insulated garage so no issues.

I don't tow or haul anything heavy, and I drive gently.

I'm leaning towards either 2 x gtx/quakerstate oil changes a year at around 4-5k miles.

If I go the synthetic route to squeeze out a few miles on the drain, what would you suggest for timing? At this point, conventional makes more sense, unless I go with a longer drain oil and stretch it to once a year....not sure I have the guts to do that.

Thanks for any suggestions. I want this little truck to last a looooong time.

Last edited:
Any quality 5W-20 will do, like Ford Motorcraft. Most are synthetic blends anyways, even if they don't say it. MaxLife 5W-20 would be a good choice for winter as it's a blend with good cold cranking ratings...

I don't know what they charge for Mobil 1 0W-20 EP, but you could just change that once a year...

Thanks, I love the idea of annual oil changes, I just can't wrap me head around it.

Any issues running high mileage oil in the long run? It doesn't swell seals or anything?

I've been around here for years and am ashamed to admit I don't know much about high mileage oil. Its the only synthetic blend available locally at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks, I love the idea of annual oil changes, I just can't wrap me head around it.

Any issues running high mileage oil in the long run? It doesn't swell seals or anything?

No. Mobil 1 does make a syn HM 5W-20...

Quote:
I've been around here for years and am ashamed to admit I don't know much about high mileage oil. Its the only synthetic blend available locally at a reasonable price.

Not much difference really, maybe slightly better base oils and add pack...

Thanks guys, good to know.

Oil is so bloody expensive up here. Mobil 1 EP is closing in on $60 for 5 quarts, in Canmore near Banff I saw it at over $60!

I just did my yearly OC in my B2300 (same vehicle) @ 11-12K miles yesterday

I use Amsoil ALM, but M1EP 5w-20 or 0W-20 or M1 AFE are good choices too.

Quote:

20k miles each way.

20 miles or km?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Looking for a recommendation for the Ranger. I'll be looking at roughly driving 80% highway runs, 20k miles each way.

It'll add up to around 9k miles a year. We live in Alberta, and it gets cold in the winter, although the worst start of the day is in an insulated garage so no issues.

I don't tow or haul anything heavy, and I drive gently.

I'm leaning towards either 2 x gtx/quakerstate oil changes a year at around 4-5k miles.

If I go the synthetic route to squeeze out a few miles on the drain, what would you suggest for timing? At this point, conventional makes more sense, unless I go with a longer drain oil and stretch it to once a year....not sure I have the guts to do that.

Thanks for any suggestions. I want this little truck to last a looooong time.

Here you are!: MaxLife 0W-20 Syn Blend on sale in Canada!

Thanks guys,

20 miles a day, I always try and convert when I post. Just realized I wrote 20k miles.

That's a good deal on Valvoline!

I'm tempted to try a year long OCI with either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge and a good filter.

I've heard Fram ultra is actually a great filter. Canadian tire is pretty close to my house, so I go with what I have access to.

Last edited:
Didnt I read on here before that Castrol was reasonably priced up your way? How about a 5W20 Castrol full synthetic or there syn blends for OCIs?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

No. Mobil 1 does make a syn HM 5W-20...

Which, unfortunately, he won't get up here unless he crosses the border to pick it up. Mobil Super 2000 up here is our high mileage oil from them, and it's ILSAC rated, so no concerns that way.

The best bet is simply to watch for specials for whatever brand you like and grab a couple or more jugs. I think the entire Castrol line is on sale at CT right now, and as someone else pointed out, Valvoline might be on special at your closest Walmart.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Where i live M1 is at about 71 Canadian dollars for a 5L jug 0w40 that is. The 15w50 Racing 4T is about 100 Canadian dollars with shipping costs included

ABout the same here...

Thanks guys,

I'm leaning towards 6k mile changes with Castrol or quaker state. Both go on sale frequently.

Castrol IS on sale locally right now. I think it's at $32.99 for 5 liters. Not too bad.

I have been using M1 0-20AFE in both Ford 4 cyl engines I own for years at 10K (miles) OCI. Both engines still perform very well and still show no signs of engine wear.

Last edited:
Thanks Tig, I may go that route. With the one year interval, I was thinking about a filter change half way through with a standard Wix or something, otherwise a longer drain filter changed once.

I would go with a 0w20 for one year intervals. Even the cheaper 0w20 full synthetics should be completely happy at 9k miles and one year intervals.

Thanks Tig, I may go that route. With the one year interval, I was thinking about a filter change half way through with a standard Wix or something, otherwise a longer drain filter changed once.

With the 10K OCI I do, I use the MC FL 910 on the Focus and the MC FL 2017B cartridge on the Fusion. Both filters hold up very well for the 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back