1987 ford 460 motorhome, which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new here, just picked up a motorhome with a 1987 carbureted ford 460 in it with 45,500 miles on it and I'm getting ready to do my first oil change. All the parts stores here tell me 5w-30 or 10w-30 is recommended, but being this is an older motor that I'm sure has had some severe duty on it such as towing and going over passes, would it be better for it to run a 40 or 50w oil in it? The motor runs fine and idles good, it doesn't seem to smoke at all but it does have some seeping in the usual places. I've read some posts in ford truck enthusiasts of guys using diesel motor oil in there older 460's, what do you think?carbureted

What will be the temperatures that you will be starting the engine? 15W-40 would be fine to about 15*f.

5w30 syn all day long! That engine was not back spec'd for 5w20. The gearing most likely will make the engine scream at highway speed so a xw30 would work great in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What will be the temperatures that you will be starting the engine? 15W-40 would be fine to about 15*f.

I live in western Washington, the motor will not be used all that often in the winter, our average winter temp is around 40 degrees, it will mostly be ran during the summer on flat freeway or going over passes in temps ranging from 70- 100 degrees. Do you mean 15w-40 diesel motor oil like Rotella our Delo?

Originally Posted By: abycat
5w30 syn all day long! That engine was not back spec'd for 5w20. The gearing most likely will make the engine scream at highway speed so a xw30 would work great in my opinion.

Could putting a synthetic oil in an older engine cause damage to some of the gaskets and seals? I thought I've read that some where.

15w40. The WalMart Fleet is less than 10.00 a gallon, and better than anything available when the engine was built. That and an FL1A and roll on to the next campsite.

Originally Posted By: digler
Originally Posted By: abycat

Could putting a synthetic oil in an older engine cause damage to some of the gaskets and seals? I thought I've read that some where.
Synthetic doesn't damage seals or cause leaks, but it'll clean up an old leak and can make it leak more. If there's any existing leaks, I wouldn't switch to synthetic. If it has all new gaskets I'd go for it.

I live in western Washington, the motor will not be used all that often in the winter, our average winter temp is around 40 degrees, it will mostly be ran during the summer on flat freeway or going over passes in temps ranging from 70- 100 degrees. Do you mean 15w-40 diesel motor oil like Rotella our Delo?

Yes. Those oils are duel rated for gas and diesel. Another good oil is rotella T-5 10W-30. Very stout, also duel rated. Very good oil.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Yeah, but it's a Ford, 5w20 is all you need.

That's the Modulars.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30

giphy.gif

This is a flat-tappet, carbureted, nearly 30 year-old 460 in severe service.

Want another shot on making a recommendation?

I would use either 10w30 or even 10w40. 15w40 wouldn't hurt a thing either. People seem to think diesel oil is this thick molasses that wont pour above 32 degrees which is not the case. What do you think these big CAT machines do in the Northern states like PA in the winter. They dont plug in the loaders and dozers left out on the strip jobs, there is no electricity. They fire up fine. Thats right, that thick oil actually pumps in 0 degrees, been there, done that and its reality. I would never use 5w20 oil in anything I actually tow with. 5w20 is for better gas mileage and it will suffice in wear, but its not the best choice and it isnt going to provide any cushion if you overheat. Its on the edge of thermal breakdown with being a light oil. Go with people on here that have done it and seen it real world, not because a owners manual said that will work and they believe all that, well this is the guy that engineered the engine. I have seen some really dumb engineers in my time that never went past the classroom and what should hypothetically be the case.

Yes! It is actually a HDEO [heavy duty engine oil] Don't forget to service the driveline fluids.

Another reason, I would go with a thicker grade oil, is you said it is a carburetored engine. These have fuel dilution issues. The fuel isnt metered the way fuel injection is and you are going to get some fuel in the oil thinning the oil. Believe me you will feel better with a thicker robust oil like a diesel grade in a old workhorse like that. Anything you get now is better that was available in 1987.

A synthetic SAE 5w20 could be blended to this:

KV40C 53
KV100C 9.3
HTHS 3.0

The lighter 5w20 engine oil will produce less heat than 10w30 or 15w40.

A HTHS of 3.0 is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back