My ride in a B-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Father's Day my family got me a surprise ride in the Collings Foundation B-17. It was an awesome experience. I couldn't imagine being in that thing at high altitude, over Nazi Germany with them doing their best to kill you. It gave me a whole new respect for that generation. Thought some of you would appreciate some pics of my ride.

DSC_0048%20Medium%20Small_zpsndbtf7cg.jpg

IMG_1590%20Medium%20Small_zpsc8h7ceae.jpg

IMG_1586%20Medium%20Small_zpsueuci5xo.jpg

IMG_1583%20Medium%20Small_zpsn5iz6sia.jpg

IMG_1585%20Medium%20Small_zpsymxpkpcy.jpg

IMG_1608%20Medium%20Small_zpsmffozd9y.jpg

Awesome. That B-17 was in Fort Lauderdale, FL last year and wanted to go for a ride. Unfortunately I was too busy at work.

Nice photos of your flight.

Nice shots! A B-17 ride is on my bucket list. A CAF one, can't remember the name offhand, but it's a G model in natural metal finish, has been here three or four times in last 20 years as a fund-raiser for the aviation museum. I've done the tour but never sprung for the flight. $500 or so IIRC. Have been fortunate to be in the right field S of the airport to see the landings & takeoffs a couple of times. The sound of the four big radials is incredible.

Awesome; worth every penny. Liked it so much, I went again the next year with one of my sons who was enjoyed it as much as I. Thanks for the reminder.
Kevin

I'll bet that was fun. The sights would be great, but also the sounds.

I had one of the very few flyable Lancasters (followed closely by a Spitfire) do a low level pass over my house - while I was in the shower no less. There is no mistaking the sound of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

I recently had a flight in a mid 50's Beaver float-plane. Loved the chuff chuff chuff start. Another great sound out of the past.

I love the sound of those old radials.

One of my uncles was a B-17 pilot. I wish I had asked questions and paid more attention. I don't even know the name on his plane. He's been gone over 30 years now. What a great guy.

I rode the same plane in Dallas in 07. Looks like you also got to stick your head out of the canopy. What an experience. It's expensive but a once in a lifetime experience. I would like also fly their B25.

A ride in a B-17 would be nice, but my ultimate bucket list item is a ride in a P-51 Mustang, however, it's more difficult, and more expensive if you can find an owner willing to do it...

Originally Posted By: grampi
A ride in a B-17 would be nice, but my ultimate bucket list item is a ride in a P-51 Mustang, however, it's more difficult, and more expensive if you can find an owner willing to do it...

I was at the Quinte air show this weekend and the Quicksilver P-51 was there. It was pretty impressive and obviously had some good hp under the cowling, and the SC sounded nice!

They had their P-51B there. It has full dual controls and instrumentation. $2200 for 30 minutes or $3200 for an hour. For that you get to fly it. My wife said they didn't love me that much... Lol

DSC_0017%20Medium%20Small_zpsvvz6vquv.jpg

DSC_0060%20Medium%20Small_zpsstzjadxn.jpg

Originally Posted By: cb4017

They had their P-51B there. It has full dual controls and instrumentation. $2200 for 30 minutes or $3200 for an hour. For that you get to fly it. My wife said they didn't love me that much... Lol

I would guess the cost of operation per hour is sky high. Planes are expensive. 3 $1000.00 per ,,,professional women cost $3,000.00 for 15 minutes which is the better deal ? I would rather do an hour in the plane ! Though I would chose a plane with a bathroom .

Originally Posted By: cb4017

4 or 5 years ago I was offered a ride in a P-51 if I were to make a $1000 donation to the air museum in Valparaiso, IN. In hindsight, I now realize how stupid I was for not taking their offer. The museum is closed now and all of their planes were sold off...I'm still kicking myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back