Who's running Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You like it ? What's the story ?
12.gif

Put some in a 12' E-250 van my landlord/contractor friend has owned for 3 years now and no complaints. It had EDGE 5w20 before. Story is its good oil; check out the UOA's on it
smile.gif

I am as I tried it over the previous 5w20 version I had in it in a newer 6.2L Ford V8.
Truth- I will get beaten for this but with the 5w20 in the same exact weather-actually it was a bit colder then, than now.
This is what I see- it now takes far longer for it to idle down to 550 rpm then the 5w20 version. How much longer? Really its like about 40% longer. That's what I noticed and its at every start. However I did not take a MPG hit once on the road. Its the same.

I think after this I will go back to the 5w20 brew.
The engine noise is the same at all times. Noticed no more or less smoothness- just longer idle times. Why? I have no idea.

I used all grades- I notice no smell- just like typical oil.
I however don't like how 0w20 and 10w30 sometimes costs a bunch more and I wait for sales on that.

I have switched to this on my zero turns- Exmark machines and use the 10w30 for those but waited for an Amazon sale. It was $8 more a jug over the 5w20 but got it on sale just under $18. Working very nicely here and very quiet in the 24 hp engines

Running it in my wife's 2016 Escape 2.0 Eco-Boost...the engine is very quiet (more so than with the factory Motorcraft Semi-Syn) with it in. Plan on 5k OCI's for now.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
How does it smell when you drain it?

Add a report on the sound and how much it sloshes around in a jug at room temperature, and you'll have all that Merk needs in an oil choice.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You like it ? What's the story ?
12.gif

Hi Merk,

You know my story, just switched to the Oz, Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 (SN, A3/B, semi-synthetic), and it's the smoothest oil I have ever used in this car, especially at warm idle when I have to look at the instruments to check the car is still running it's so smooth.

I also have some of the Oz, Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 (SN, A3/B4, full synthetic) to try next.

Got Magnatec 10W30 "stop start" in my 3.8 supercharged...seems good.

Will have the 5W30 stop start in next time.

As to stop start, my wife has a half mile commute, which has the thing using 14mpg...blotter test looks fine.

In the absence of documented respective Hthsv , I would speculate that Magnatec A3B4 10W30 >> 5W30 start stop >> 10W30 start stop , as my preference.
blush.gif

It would be nice to know the exact specs of Magnatec you are discussing here guys. In Europe we have a plenty of different specs which are labeled as Castrol Magnatec:

1. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 ACEA C3
2. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3
3. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 ACEA A1/A5

There is even Magnatec Start/Stop which is speced with MB 229.5. As you can imagine these will produce different UOAs and people will have different experience with those oils.

P.S. More info is available at:

1. http://www.castrol.com/de_de/germany/car...l-magnatec.html

2. http://www.castrol.com/de_de/germany/car...stop-start.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back