A good read....The more things change....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That article was written 20 years ago. I would think that petroleum technology has evolved light years since that time. Heck, 5W-20 and 0W-20 weights oils were not even imaginable in 1996. Just sayin'...

from 82 to 87 I had a s10 5 sp manual 2.8V6. At that time Mobil did advertise 25 K oil changes. I used AC filters, changed at 12K miles. Oil Mobil 1 10W30 changed at 25K. Pulled bass boat 2700 lbs on trailer. Engine spent quite some time Wide open climbing Ozark hills. Probably 15% pulling boat.

At about 100K the crank shaft broke, trashing the engine.

The rest of the engine was pristine. No sludge, almost no varnish. The camshaft and lifters had almost no wear, still see honing marks in the cylinders, pistons tight. The engine was good for at least another 100K.

Unfortunate that GM undersized the mains a little and the cranks broke.

That engine was expensive, and the truck was pretty pristine otherwise. I sold the truck to someone wanting to V8 it. and used the money to buy a Monte Carlo SS that was a huge piece of [censored]. The last new GM I ever bought.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
That article was written 20 years ago. I would think that petroleum technology has evolved light years since that time. Heck, 5W-20 and 0W-20 weights oils were not even imaginable in 1996. Just sayin'...

Since Mobil introduced the original Mobil 1 5W20 in 1974 I would say 5W20 was very imaginable.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Since Mobil introduced the original Mobil 1 5W20 in 1974 I would say 5W20 was very imaginable.

Gene is correct. 5W20 has been around since 1974. My 1996 owner's manual even warns not to use 5W20 in my car.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Gene is correct. 5W20 has been around since 1974. My 1996 owner's manual even warns not to use 5W20 in my car.

Here's an old patent, and if you read it, it's the same discussion as we have here all the time...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3862053/1961_5W20_patent...

Think I lifted this from a Nissan 510 manual...
5106973.jpg

Yep, that's why I posted it. I figure if this were true even when there was more of a performance spread between conventional and synthetics, then now, the difference we discuss between syn and conventional and between brands is pretty much a wash....not that we shouldn't still discuss them. : )

+1. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back