Dents on spin-on / Champ Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Technical Service Bulletin 97-8

The Impact of Dents on Spin-on Filters
Filter manufacturers occasionally receive used filters involved in warranty investigations due to a crack in a spin-on filter. In many cases the crack is located within or near a dent in the can. This evidence predominantly indicates that the dent is the root cause of the crack and that the failure was not within the control of the filter manufacturer. Once the steel can is dented, a concentration of stress in the material is created, making the can more susceptible to fatigue.
Filters are designed with low carbon steel to resist fatigue and are formed so the pulses in the system are equalized over the surface area of the can. A dent provides an area of stress concentration from pressure pulses and can greatly shorten the fatigue life of the can.
The fatigue to the material results from the fluid pulsing within the system. For example, the pressure in an oil lubrication system is regulated by an integral pressure regulating valve. This valve is spring operated and intermittently opens and closes to regulate the pressure. Once the pressure exceeds the setting of the spring in the regulating valve, the valve will open and relieve pressure until the spring can expand and close the valve. This function is repeated continuously during the operation of the system, creating a pulsing effect. The can of the filter is subjected to the same pulsation. Likewise, fluid pumps incorporate some type of gear, rotor, or other device to circulate the fluid. As these pumps operate, they produce high speed cyclical fluid pulsations. The can of the filter is continuously subjected to these normal system pulsations. As a result of the continual flexing of the filter can in the dented area, the steel is susceptible to fatigue and eventual fracture.
Filters that are dented prior to or during installation should not be used. Filters dented after installation should be replaced immediately. The cost of replacing a dented filter is much less than the cost of the damages that could result from a dented filter that fails during service. If you receive filters that were dented prior to your receipt, you should contact your filter supplier for corrective action.

For additional information, contact:
Filter Manufacturers Council
P.O. Box 13966
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3966 Phone: 919-549-4800 Fax: 919-549-4824
www.filtercouncil.org
Administered by Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association
Revised May 2015

I put a dented Purolator on my Dodge. The debt was my fault, fell off the shelf. Thought I ll use it and watch it. Dent popped out under oil pressure and you couldn't even see. I think alot of this depends on the severity of the dent and common sense.

Pretty sure a good percentage of it is caused during shipment. Package handlers aren't exactly gentle when loading, unloading, and sorting parcels. We get a few dented filters in our boxes of 12 but those are sent back, wouldn't risk using them on a customer's car.

I got a dented Fram Ultra and cut it open. Glad I did as there was a hairline crack at the edge of the dent. Because of paint, couldn't see it from the outside, only inside. Good advice they gave. Need to use common sense as to type of dent, but still they have good points and all is true.

The last PH16 I bought looked to have been dropped.

Stupid me, I picked it up after work one night and was too tired and not thinking about checking it out.

It had a small, but deep dent near the base plate. I am certain it distorted the end cap.

Had I had an issue, I wonder if Fram would have honored that warranty?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I put a dented Purolator on my Dodge. The debt was my fault, fell off the shelf. Thought I ll use it and watch it. Dent popped out under oil pressure and you couldn't even see. I think alot of this depends on the severity of the dent and common sense.

Same here. I use a strap wrench on my oil filters to tighten them just a tad bit more since most of the time I can't get a good grip by hand due to the location and I noticed the last one I installed I dented a little bit. Well I went out and checked it a couple days ago and the dent was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back