Kudos to Ford and a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
The dealer also gets screwed on these repairs. Ford warranty usually pays half of what the job is normally worth.

That's my understanding and that's another reason that this store is where we'll place future parts business as well as where we'll send Ford vehicles that we have to shop, which our tech does have to do very occasionally.
If a business treats you right, you should return the favor.

The only good thing about warranty work like that is the dealer will now get paid twice. They will call the 2nd repair a Service Part Warranty repair.

Another thing that is cool on warranty repairs is you get to bill out all the parts required to do a job. We are replacing an engine in a CHP Explorer. I got to bill out all the hardware that is one time use only like all the exhaust, engine cradle, steering shaft, torque converter, and motor mount fasteners instead of on a customer pay job when the customer refuses to pay for them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The only good thing about warranty work like that is the dealer will now get paid twice. They will call the 2nd repair a Service Part Warranty repair.

Another thing that is cool on warranty repairs is you get to bill out all the parts required to do a job. We are replacing an engine in a CHP Explorer. I got to bill out all the hardware that is one time use only like all the exhaust, engine cradle, steering shaft, torque converter, and motor mount fasteners instead of on a customer pay job when the customer refuses to pay for them.

Yeah, I love warranty and recall ROs. I'm happy to bill parts at cost + 40%. I really love transmissions. That usually includes a $100 American Express gift card too, because another dealer in the area buys single part numbers by the truck load to wholesale to everyone else and has all kinds of discounts on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Yeah, I love warranty and recall ROs. I'm happy to bill parts at cost + 40%. I really love transmissions. That usually includes a $100 American Express gift card too, because another dealer in the area buys single part numbers by the truck load to wholesale to everyone else and has all kinds of discounts on them.

We get to do cost +40% on the warranty ROs also. Occasionally that is more than list price. The shop covered a Super Duty front chrome bumper under warranty. Normal list is around $787, but for warranty I got to bill it at $826. Best part was they get it all installed and one of the holes wasn't drilled correctly, so we got to do another one under Service Part Warranty. Powertrain we have to bill at cost + handling allowance. It ranges from like $300 on a trans to $830 on a modular 4.6, 5.0, 5.4, 6.8 engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You have the rare and unfortunate gift of finding the dark cloud surrounding every silver lining.
There may well be bad dealer service departments.
I've yet to encounter one and I don't think that my luck is extraordinary enough that I always chance upon the one porpoise in a sea full of sharks.

Lucky you....I bet you win the lottery multiple times a year too, I'd wager most folks see the kind of $tealership experience I do more than yours, and no they don't win the lottery often either.
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
smirk.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice. But what else needs replacing / worn out ?

If it's directly related to the transmission rebuild or R&R, Ford should cover it.

Either way, I wouldn't complain about a no charge trans at those miles.

Are they actually rebuilding it? Hopefully a rebuild totals it out and they put in a reman. I'm not a huge fan of building transmissions outside of a transmission shop that has a clean room. They do need to be built in a clean, careful environment which is often not what a dealer service department is. I work at a GM dealer and it seems like a lot of the transmissions we build fail in short order...and the guy that does them is very smart and very conscientious. I don't think it's him, I think it's trying to build a trans in a shop that's simply not clean enough to do it right. Thankfully they usually total out and we just get a GM reman, or in some cases a brand new transmission.

While building in a clean climate controlled build room is very nice. However....For most units, Especially GM ones, It is not absolutely necessary.

ATF soaked parts attract dirt & debris, They need to be blown off with CLEAN solvent, Then blown dry, Dipped in fresh ATF then immediately installed in the case.
We have to change our build techniques for different environments, In a clean room you can clean everything at one time, Lay in all out on a bench, Then start assembly.

In a dirty environment, You have to clean, Assemble, then Install each component separately while keeping the Case covered at all times, Always clean the Control Valve Body last using New Clean Solvent. If the Tech at your dealer has to share solvent & the part washing machine with everyone else in the shop.....That is a big issue!

It is a much supported myth that Frictions just wear out prematurely, This is 100% untrue, When you get a unit in with a Burnt Clutch.....Something caused it, Like Leaks in the apply circuit, Slow Apply/Release, Low/No Pressure rise, Low Pump Volume/Pressure etc.
Point is....Throwing Frictions at a problem is not a solution!

Wouldn't it be great if all Techs were as aware as Clinebarger?

"throwing parts at it" seems to be a major portion of the work I hear about going wrong. The Dealer just asks you to bring it back in!

I have had 3 week long experiences that would have been one day trips if the idjits had just diagnosed the vehicle correctly before working on it!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Wouldn't it be great if all Techs were as aware as Clinebarger?

"throwing parts at it" seems to be a major portion of the work I hear about going wrong. The Dealer just asks you to bring it back in!

I have had 3 week long experiences that would have been one day trips if the idjits had just diagnosed the vehicle correctly before working on it!

But I thought most folks has good experiences at the $tealership like fdgc27 said.

I guess that means you don't win the lottery every week either
SteveSRT8?
lol.gif

All I know for sure is what I actually experience and observe.
My experience with dealer service departments has been mostly warranty or recall and always good. I did have a Ford dealer put a set of tires on our '97 Aerostar when it was in for a recall. They were able to get what I wanted at a good price and did a good job on the mounting and balancing. Incidentally, Ford dealers can be the secret deal for tires for any car, so they'd be worth a phone call.
If I won the lottery every week, I could make a small fortune running an interesting import car store, but only because I'd start with a large one:)
What I would consider interesting and worthy of owning would not coincide with the tastes of most with money in their jeans.
Know what a Lancia Fulvia is, for example?
I didn't think so:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back