Fram ph3657 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my parents suburban while I had it. It is a 2001 with a 5.3l 180000 miles. I don't know the mileage on the oci but it was saying change oil so whatever that might be. Maybe around 5k.

I replaced it with a Baldwin b31 since I could not get another ph3657 at Walmart in the middle of the night. Walmart book is saying that it takes the smaller ph3506 size that the 2003-06 use. The owners manual specs the ph3657 size though.

Jhellwig - are the pleats conforming to the core in your photos #1 and #3 or is this just reflection off the oil? Looks like the filter did the job. I would use the bigger filter too. No drama associated with this which is a good thing.

Fram's catalog lists both numbers but Fram properly identifies the OEM replacement.

Thanks for the cut & post.

Looks good here man. This does go to show that metal end caps don't have to be present in order for a filter to work well. My TG looked perfect without metal end caps.

Thanks for you work here. Well done.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Jhellwig - are the pleats conforming to the core in your photos #1 and #3 or is this just reflection off the oil? Looks like the filter did the job. I would use the bigger filter too. No drama associated with this which is a good thing.

Fram's catalog lists both numbers but Fram properly identifies the OEM replacement.

Thanks for the cut & post.

I will have to look later. The flash on my phone went off in those two pictures so that makes a big difference. It might be the waves made into the media like you see on the pleats a couple spaces away from it.

The book with the filters at Walmart only showed the smaller filter and the only options they had for the tall one were k&n and Bosch for way more money than they should cost. I bought the super tech one that was listed just in case I couldn't find the Baldwin one I had at home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Looks good here man. This does go to show that metal end caps don't have to be present in order for a filter to work well. My TG looked perfect without metal end caps.

Thanks for you work here. Well done.
Must be why more expensive Frams have metal endcaps, because they don't need them.

Well IF the ones without metal end caps are constructed right with the right material for the job then the answer CAN be no.

My Fram TG was without any defects. Look what Jay had to say about this as well. It was in response to what people had wanted to them to do. Nothing really functional gained by them.
Obviously nothing wrong with metal end caps. They do make for a nice presentation upon inspection.

Having stated this, if fiber ones are not the right material then problems certainly will arise. No doubt in that.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Must be why more expensive Frams have metal endcaps, because they don't need them.

Now, you know which Fram has metal endcaps, right? You also know that this filter that you're thinking of doesn't have cellulose media, right? And, you've read the filter forums long enough to know why there are metal endcaps in this particular Fram filter, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back