Castrol Edge 10W-30 in Australia

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: SR5
OK, spotted in the wild (or close to it).

The latest Repco Catalogue has New Castrol Edge 10W-30 listed at the "introduction" price of $58- for 5L.

So if it making the catalogue sales, it should be everywhere.

I found it on the Repco and Supercheap Auto at $59.99 the back of container clearly states Not Suitable for use in A3 and B4 applications.

Looks like fuel economy focussed.

How it this the old OEM manual recommendation that 5w-30s should be used in climates where temperature is less than 25 deg C applied to this 10w-30.

Is the new wave of 5w-30s with A3 ratings superior to the 10w-30 despite climate conditions.

OK, spotted in the wild (or close to it).

The latest Repco Catalogue has New Castrol Edge 10W-30 listed at the "introduction" price of $58- for 5L.

So if it making the catalogue sales, it should be everywhere.

I found it on the Repco and Supercheap Auto at $59.99 the back of container clearly states Not Suitable for use in A3 and B4 applications.

Hey VO, yes thanks for that.
It's A5/B5 so I knew it couldn't be A3/B4 or A3/B3 which is what my car's OM states to use. I was just thinking given the low power output of my car (1.8L 4-cylinder) and my mild driving (family car) it might be OK.

But in the end I decided to use Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 A3/B4 semi-synthetic instead. I put it in a week ago, and it's running great. It's so smooth that sometimes at a red light I have to look down at my instruments to make sure the car is still running (it is) because it idles so smooth.

KJSmith is producing some stella Magnatec UOA's
BITOG Magnatec 5W30 UOA

Thanks again for looking out for me. Cheers !!

The specs for the Castrol Edge 10w-30 are comparable to the Mobil 1 10-30 EP available from GL Lubricants which is imported from the US at $70 for 5L plus $20 AUD delivery ie $90 AUD all up.

The link for Mobil 1 10-30 EP is below.

The Castrol Edge 10w-30 is 40% cheaper than the Mobil 1 10-30 EP, but probably will stick to the Helix Ultra 5w-40.

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

If it was A3 I would not hesitate to try it.

Last edited:
Unless one has an aversion to xx-40 grades of any description, I currently don't see any reason why one wouldn't simply go with the Shell Helix Ultra.
It pretty much ticks all the boxes from what I can see.

The Castrol 5w-30 stop-start Full Synthetic is on sale at $33.65 for 5L at Supercheap Auto approx $18 off regular price.

Thanks mate, yes got some at that price.

Pretty good value (in Oz) for a name brand, full synthetic 5W-30 (SN, A3/B4).

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Unless one has an aversion to xx-40 grades of any description, I currently don't see any reason why one wouldn't simply go with the Shell Helix Ultra.

The GTL Shell Helix Ultra, It's a great oil at a good price and I have used it before, but for my car and application, it seems a bit heavy and takes a long time to warm up. If I had more power or was doing more distance, it would probably be perfect.

To be fair on the oil, I think some of my issues were due to a restrictive Repco filter, and I will give it a go again with a less restrictive filter. The SHU 5W-40 did seem to nicely clean my engine up, looking through the fill hole, I was quite impressed with the improvement after the run on SHU.

The GTL Shell Helix Ultra, It's a great oil at a good price and I have used it before, but for my car and application, it seems a bit heavy and takes a long time to warm up. If I had more power or was doing more distance, it would probably be perfect.

To be fair on the oil, I think some of my issues were due to a restrictive Repco filter, and I will give it a go again with a less restrictive filter. The SHU 5W-40 did seem to nicely clean my engine up, looking through the fill hole, I was quite impressed with the improvement after the run on SHU.

Hardly a heavy 40 grade. IMO one can use this oil in any engine / application.

My sentiments exactly.

With it being widely available and at a generous discount at times as well as an impressive list of approvals I would say it's possibly the most versatile oil on the market.
As long as the performance of the oil is up there with the best of them, there's an awful lot to like about it unless one is strictly chasing fuel economy.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Yes I agree SHU 5W-40 is not a heavy 40 grade oil, more on the light side, like many of the 0W-40 oil.

Just saying my car prefers a light oil and a low restriction filter. When I use SHU in it, it sounds like I have a woodpecker under the hood, tap-tap-tap-tap, everywhere I drive until the oil is very warm. It's much quieter on Magnatec 10W-30 and warms up quicker.

It's a shame, because SHU is a great oil, and I can get it at a very good price. But, I want to try it again with a low restriction, synthetic filter. Should make a nice combination.

I've got it in 2 vehicles at the moment, but it's early days.

Thanks for the feedback.

Where I really noticed the noise, was when I did a few short trips in a row, like driving around to a few shops, where I might pop in for 15-20 minutes.

Jump back in the car and tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap as I drive out of the parking lot. It was so loud that people would stop packing their own car, raise their head and watch me as I drive past.

I felt like yelling at them "It's a good oil, pure GTL, stop staring at me!!"

Now I just drive past on Magnatec 10W30 and nobody cares or looks up.
Humph !!

It sounds(no pun intended) like the Magnatec is the way to go with that engine.
It's an interesting issue you have.
Have you tried any of the lighter grades of oil(Xw-20's) for a comparison.

I'm hearing you regarding the mechanical sounds.
Try a 4 valve Desmodromic Ducati with a clapped out dry clutch and an open clutch cover.
Then you'll have a new perspective on what's loud.

I haven't tried a 20 grade oil as my car's OM says to use an A3/B3 or A3/B4 oil. The Magnatec 10W-30 semi-synthetic and the Magnatec 5W-30 full synthetic are both SN & A3/B4, hence my interest in them.

I am tempted by the Castrol Edge 10W-30 A5/B5 and Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30 which is SN, GF-5 & Dexos1.

I'm embarrassed to say I have probably become a short tripper.

The loudest bike I had was a Yamaha RD350LC when the baffles blew out of the exhaust while going for a scratch through the mountains. That 2-stroke RD, it wasn't the fastest bike I ever had, but it sure felt like it was.

I'm old and deaf, wear ear plugs, and the Airhead has a Supertrapp - but 35 years ago when I had a stock R60/5 I would ride around town watching the pedestrians, pretty sure they were all turning to look at what was making all the tappet noise and clunking gearchanges. It was an embarassing bike to ride.

My daughter's '89 Subaru Omega has a really bad tap that comes on a minute or two after starting and stays until really hot, pretty embarassing too. It's better with thinner oil (10W40) but won't stay in for long if used daily. 10W-30 would probably cure it, but she'd need to carry a 20 litre in the boot.

That's me Silk, quiet for the first few minutes, then tap-tap-tap until fully hot, then smooth and quiet as a mouse.

The light stuff works better, and luckily my car uses no oil. I'm interested to see how a SAE 30 behaves.

Hi Guys,

Yes I agree SHU 5W-40 is not a heavy 40 grade oil, more on the light side, like many of the 0W-40 oil.

Just saying my car prefers a light oil and a low restriction filter. When I use SHU in it, it sounds like I have a woodpecker under the hood, tap-tap-tap-tap, everywhere I drive until the oil is very warm. It's much quieter on Magnatec 10W-30 and warms up quicker.

It's a shame, because SHU is a great oil, and I can get it at a very good price. But, I want to try it again with a low restriction, synthetic filter. Should make a nice combination.

If Magnatec works better in engine and type of use you see there's no point in experimenting. We don't get 10w30 here, but Castrol is expensive -on pair with Mobil. On other hand Valvoline and Shell are cheapish (full SAPS versions).

I've used SHU in 1.6 HDI(non DPF), 1.5 Dci, 1,9 Mjtd (8v), 1,2 16v Superfire, 1.4 16v Superfire, and friend use it in 2.O 16v TS.

I've also used old version in 1.8 16v TS and 2.5 24v Busso.

Obviously Alfas were tad noisier than with 10w60 (only tried on Alfas), but never had any unusual tappet noises. Take a look at your filter.

I like two products from Shell:
SHU and Rimula, rest isn't worth any attention.

Saw the titled product in the wild for the first time today...suggested to the kid with the soon to be supercharged Toyota 86 that it was a good thing.

Sitting next to it was Edge 25W50....hmmm....ideas.

You're not planning to mix up a batch of low VII semi-synthetic 20W40 are you ?

SR5 purchased Castrol Edge 10w30 today Repco $52 on sale for 5L if you press them you may ven get it at trade.

Going to try this oil next OCI instead of Shell Helix 5w30 HX8.

The Harman Index for Castrol Edge 10w30 0.96 v Harman Index Shell Helix 5w30 HX8 0.93

Still happy with HX8 oil just going to give this one a try now it on sale.

Edge 10w30 Rated A5 with HTHS of 3.2 its approx. 7% less than the A3 Shell HX8 with HTHS of 3.5
Probably doesn't mean much for my vehicle in the real world.

I DONT push the vehicle 1995 VS V6 Commodore 3800 hard so it should be OK.

May improve fuel consumption by 2%.

Last edited:
Back