Oil in coolant? Deathcool sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Dexcool is fine, you just need to check it and do drain and fills... Main issue were gaskets and people not checking and maintaining their coolant system.

Yup, the DexCool sludge hype is way overblown. When I bought my '99 in 2012 it still had the original DexCool in it...13 yrs old. While it was an icky brown color there was no sludge. Once drained out, the radiator internals were perfectly clean. Another 4 yrs on fresh DexCool and still looks new with a nice vibrant orange color. I will probably change it this year. Tend to your leaks, keep out excess air, and the DexCool will do just fine.

Yes it was overblown to the tune of a class action lawsuit that GM settled because they knew that Dexcool contained a known plasticizer, and it was slowly eating the plastic intake gaskets that GM was using on their engines. This had nothing to do with maintenance. GM freaked up, and it's that simple. That's all water under the bridge now, but don't act like it did not happen because it did, and that's a fact.

As I have Dex Cool in my 2007 Impala that I just flushed and put in over the memorial weekend I have noticed a wax like sludge forming so I am going to flush it all out again but would like to use something other than Dexcool what is a good alternative Peak Global Lifetime, Zerex G-05 , do I need silicate free and phosphate free?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Yes it was overblown to the tune of a class action lawsuit that GM settled because they knew that Dexcool contained a known plasticizer, and it was slowly eating the plastic intake gaskets that GM was using on their engines. This had nothing to do with maintenance. GM freaked up, and it's that simple. That's all water under the bridge now, but don't act like it did not happen because it did, and that's a fact.

Lots of stupid stuff goes to court because it benefits the lawyers. The DexCool case was filed in California...surprise. GM decided to settle with $24 MILL rather than letting this drag on. It doesn't mean the plaintiffs were right, did proper maintenance, etc. All it proves is that GM felt it was best to settle. Just because there's a class action lawsuit doesn't mean it has merit or any basis in reality. Hysteria seems to be the primary driver of many of them. And then everyone piles on to get some free money.

Class action lawsuits have become a feeding frenzy for lawyers against the auto makers. All it takes is 5-10 people out of 2,000,000 car owners with a perceived "problem" and all 2,000,000 cars are recalled. No one ever intended for cars to be 100% flawless and without risk of any sort. If you don't want to be hurt in a privately owned automobile, then don't drive one. Walk to work or take the bus. Owner/operator error is probably the real cause of most automobile issues.

68,000 people filed DexCool claims. And I wonder what high percentage of them just did shoddy maintenance on their cars and blamed GM? (ie mixing different coolants, allowing leaks to fester, never changing their coolant and keeping it full, allowing coolant to overheat by not keeping up on other systems, keeping on old worn out radiator caps/seals, etc.). Even if all 68K complaints were legit that's still out of 47 MILLION cars built by GM from 1995-2004. Clearly, DexCool was working for 99.86% of GM car owners. My '99 is in that group. It hasn't had any problems with DexCool. I read hundreds of DexCool threads in 2012 deciding if I should stay with it in my '99 SS. And after weighing all the evidence and eliminating the hype, I decided it was best to stay with it. 17 years on DexCool without a leak of any kind. You can review the LS1Tech site DexCool threads below. For the higher mileage V6 engines that had coolant issues years down the road, I suspect they'd have had those same issues using regular old green coolant. But, why not blame the DexCool for all the failures?

LS1 Tech Dex Cool threads

This is one of the posts in those threads:

The problem with dexcool is the owners of the cars. dexcool only corrodes things when mixed with plain water or green stuff. if you mix dex with distilled water, it will last 100k miles like its supposed to. the reason for the class action lawsuit is because joe down the street takes his 2000 GM vehicle with dex to valvoline to get the oil changed, and they notice the level in the radiator is a little low so they top it off with their finest green [censored] and thats where the problems begin.

unfortunately, not everyone knows this and that is where most of the problems with dexcool come from. my car has never had anything but 50/50 prestone dex put in it and distilled water if it gets a tad low, and my radiator as well as inside my engine look brand new.

Another interesting thread on DexCool and different coolants

Recommended to stay with one coolant type for the life of the vehicle. You stand a better chance of messing things up when you switch. That's the primary reason I stuck with DEX. My car was not sludged up even with 13 year old coolant. And who could say if I could get out every last couple of ounces from the system before switching to plain old green?

Properly maintain your cooling system with whatever coolant it was designed for, and it should serve you well. Note the second link in that first post suggests that DexCool was later found out not to be the root cause of all the sludging....other influences were the source.

Wiki:

According to internal GM documents, the ultimate culprit appears to be operating vehicles for long periods of time with low coolant levels. The low coolant is caused by pressure caps that fail in the open position. (The new caps and recovery bottles were introduced at the same time as DEX-COOL). This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles, which in turn can aggravate the pressure cap problem as contamination holds the caps open permanently.

Blame whatever you like....just don't blame the coolant because it was found at the scene of every crime. Low coolant levels or some other coolant contamination was also found at every scene.

I have owned a 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo SS and also a 2004 Impala SS and both with the 3.8 V6. I flushed both coolant systems and also made sure the overflow coolant recovery bottles were alway filled to the max line. Doing this and also replacing the radiator cap every few years will help prevent coolant related issues.

Last edited:
We run our GM fleet trucks to component failure, usually at least 200k-250k before changing any coolant.

Our 3500 vans have open coolant tanks and the Silverados all have pressurized ones.

Never a hint of sludge or corrosion, despite the fact that we run a heat exchanger setup that doubles the coolant volume and virtually guarantees air in the system...

Flush thoroughly and move to another coolant.

My 2001 3.1L Chevy succumbed to the Dexcool gasket problem.

They recalled as a part of the class action suit but I was outside the window due to my mileage.

Yes, it did happen.

Other coolants don't detonate vehicles when regular changes aren't observed.

Why should GM and Dexcool get a pass?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Why should GM and Dexcool get a pass?

Simple. Because the coolant was not the problem. It was gaskets that could not withstand it.

Dex is so good that even Ford is using it. I have run GM vehicles in my business for decades now and never had a Dex problem.

OP, considering all that this is strange. What about this? Some shops have a "top it off" policy with oil changes, inspections, or service in general. They will pour universal coolant in if it's not at the full mark.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We run our GM fleet trucks to component failure, usually at least 200k-250k before changing any coolant.

Our 3500 vans have open coolant tanks and the Silverados all have pressurized ones.

Never a hint of sludge or corrosion, despite the fact that we run a heat exchanger setup that doubles the coolant volume and virtually guarantees air in the system...

It has to have enough air to expose iron parts in order to generate the sludge.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
OP, considering all that this is strange. What about this? Some shops have a "top it off" policy with oil changes, inspections, or service in general. They will pour universal coolant in if it's not at the full mark.

Most universal coolants that Ive seen are Dexcool anyway.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

The only time it has been in a shop since I did the coolant flush was for an alignment and I doubt they popped the hood. I am thinking it was air in the system. I am going to do a full flush, make sure I bleed all of the air out of the system and keep the coolant reservoir topped up.

Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
This is exactly the same problem I had with my 2001 Mustang GT. I flushed the system an switched to G-05; problem solved.

Why did you have Dexcool in your Mustang?

That's Dexcool sludge, just dealt with it myself. I took off all the hoses, flushed out every opening with a garden hose until the water ran clear, refilled, drove for a while, and repeated that process 3 more times. No more sludge comes out when I flush with the hose, so I must have got it all.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Le_bow_ski
This is exactly the same problem I had with my 2001 Mustang GT. I flushed the system an switched to G-05; problem solved.

Why did you have Dexcool in your Mustang?
It came that way from the previous owner. I don't know whether it was factory filled that way, or had been changed by the PO. My understanding is that Mustangs of that year came from the factory with either a Dexcool type or G05 type coolant, though I could be wrong.

Last edited:
A sign of a poorly maintaied cooling system. This doesn't develop overnight. I would bet that radiator cap wasn't taken off in those two years,. My Dexcool system still looks good with a little TLC.

Last edited:
We need "sludge analysis". Seriously, the top of this thread was a "What's this?" question and many "Looks like ____ to me" answers.

My Dex-Cool applications (flush, rinse, use distilled) are just fine.
My friends who use mineral laden well water (real Americans who won't be pushed around) have cloudy Dex-Cool in their expansion tanks.

Therefore, I am a better person.

That looks more like corrosion to me.

Pull your tstat, put it back together. Openot the drain on your radiator and keep adding water from a garden hose or something with the car running as it drains.

Do this until it runs clear. Then disconnect yyour radiator hoses and back flush with a garden hose. Do the same with the heater core.

Put it all back together, install a new tstayear, and install a coolant filter. Fill/bleed and change your coolant at reasonable intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back