Fram TG 7317 6k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Fram 7317. This filter looks great overall. Really liked the media and ADBV. Absolutely stout and flawless.

[img:left]http://

images upload[/img]

Looks good son
smile.gif

Yeah Captain it sure does. Really a good ADBV and the media was very good too.

Yep. And this Fram TG proves it doesn't have to have metal end caps to hold up just fine. Nothing wrong with metal end caps. Just that this amongst others has been shown how that's done correctly.

Ill have to send mine to somone for cutting open, Im due at end of July. will be about 6k by then.

Last edited:
What is the difference between this silver fram filter and those cheaper orange ones? So far the ones ive seen inside look the same. Thanks

Hey Shellman. It's the .media for trapping containments. The orange can uses a conventional paper media that is 95% efficient @ 20 microns. The Tough Guard uses a synthetic blended media that 99% @ 20 microns. The Gray TG has a higher level of ability in holding capacity. Being perfectly honest I don't know those figures off hand. But if a car creates 1 gram of contaminants per 1k miles driven then the TG has well more than 10 grams. I bet it's closer to 20 grams of dirt/containment holding capacity. The orange can is likely around 10 grams. Now I am hypothesizing this based off of what Motorking aka Jay stated than the Fram Ultra has 31 grams of holding capacity. So, being rather conservative Fram recommends keeping the mileage to about half of maximum holding capacity. That's my hypothesis on this. I'm sure some of the good guys on here know the exact figures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey Shellman. It's the .media for trapping containments. The orange can uses a conventional paper media that is 95% efficient @ 20 microns. The Tough Guard uses a synthetic blended media that 99% @ 20 microns. The Gray TG has a higher level of ability in holding capacity. Being perfectly honest I don't know those figures off hand. But if a car creates 1 gram of contaminants per 1k miles driven then the TG has well more than 10 grams. I bet it's closer to 20 grams of dirt/containment holding capacity. The orange can is likely around 10 grams. Now I am hypothesizing this based off of what Motorking aka Jay stated than the Fram Ultra has 31 grams of holding capacity. So, being rather conservative Fram recommends keeping the mileage to about half of maximum holding capacity. That's my hypothesis on this. I'm sure some of the good guys on here know the exact figures.

This car is dying. Either the air filter or intake system is terribly failing of engine is shedding metals like crazy to produce 1 gram of debris in 1k mile.

I'm pretty doggone confident that's what Jay stated... I'm not saying it's good, bad or correct. That's what he stated was that on average a car has about that much containments are created per 1k miles.

That does seem high to me too though I have to say. I would have thought it would be more like 250-400 mg per 1k miles. But I'm sure Jay knows a WHOLE lot more than I do about this technical information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shellman
What is the difference between this silver fram filter and those cheaper orange ones? So far the ones ive seen inside look the same. Thanks

Actually, the orange FRAM Extra Guard filter has Cellulose and Glass Blended media (Efficiency = 95% @ 20 microns), and the silver FRAM Tough Guard filter has Cellulose/Synthetic Blended media (Efficiency = 99% @ 20 microns).

Yeah that's right tony10s... been awhile since I looked that info up. I had the percentages right but the media was wrong. So, yeah Shellguy Tony10s has it right there. Need to take my Airicept and Namenda now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shellman

The 7317 is a small filter, so I am not sure if the TG has more pleats or more media than an orange can. On larger filters say like a Fram 3980, the TG version has more pleats and more media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back