Nut drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trav -- I have one of those in the garage. I think it came off my '78 Cadillac. If I'm not mistaken, I think those were OE back in the days before constant tension clamps came about. You don't have to worry about the screwdriver blade slipping out of the slot on that one.

Its possibly from an old GM, when I change them for constant tension ones I just throw them in a box. Your right it does prevent the blade from slipping out, someones idea of a better mousetrap.

I keep a couple nut drivers in my box , 8mm and 10mm. Like Trav said nothing a spinner cant take care of. I did lose my 10mm 1/4 socket the other day though doing a recall of a door latch. Socket fell off into the door , I was [censored] but a 10mm craftsman socket isnt worth taking a whole door apart. Especially turning on flat rate lol. My 10mm nut driver would have prevented that from happening , lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
A customer's car? Hope it doesn't rattle...

Yeah it was. I checked to see if it did , not a peep. The new Optima's doors are pretty tight fitting. Unfortunately these things happen , and most customers wont wait an extra 30 minutes so a mechanic can get their tool back. More trouble than its worth.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I never saw the need for nut drivers

I have two or three that have come with equipment or have been recommended for certain jobs. Pretty common sizes like 7/16 and 13mm, no sets.

I do like the 1/4" square drive with a socket, much more flexible.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I keep a couple nut drivers in my box , 8mm and 10mm. Like Trav said nothing a spinner cant take care of. I did lose my 10mm 1/4 socket the other day though doing a recall of a door latch. Socket fell off into the door , I was [censored] but a 10mm craftsman socket isnt worth taking a whole door apart. Especially turning on flat rate lol. My 10mm nut driver would have prevented that from happening , lesson learned.
lol speaking of doors I was replacing a few items in a express 3500 door the other day had my streamlight stinger led in the door shining on the nuts holding the outer door handle on and got a road side service call come in. Ran out rescued the rig and came back in and reassembled the door. The battery had died and I forgot about where the flashlight was... that was about two weeks ago. Just got the stinger back on Tuesday when I saw the guy again lol. Oh and as far as nut drivers on hose clamps I use a 1/4 drive adapter and sockets with my milwaukee 12volt rattle gun on most everything. I do keep a set of Klein nut drivers I the box just in case. But the gun some sockets and a flexible extension takes care of most everything.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: pcoxe
The real advantage of a true nut driver is the hollow shaft, which is necessary if you are tightening down a nut over a long terminal stud, which is very common in electrical work.

Which, again, is fulfilled by a 1/4" drive driver handle by putting a deep socket on it.
wink.gif

For electrical and other light-torque work, I also keep a power screwdriver-to-1/4" adaptor to put sockets on my power screwdriver. Makes life a lot easier when trying to work, with only 2 hands and your teeth when 4 hands are really necessary.

I would agree with the first poster, good for long studs, because I don't own nut drivers. I use the handle with sockets.. I do think the 1/4" deep socket is a great compromise, but it just seems once a year, somewhere, I find a stud is annoyingly too long for the deep socket.

On the other hand, I also often use a 1/4" breaker bar with sockets. This gives you the option of having the handle at 90 degrees for leverage breaking the bolt loose, followed by flipping the handle up and spinning it off like a nut driver.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
s. I use the handle with sockets.. I do think the 1/4" deep socket is a great compromise, but it just seems once a year, somewhere, I find a stud is annoyingly too long for the deep socket.

In that case I use a small drive pass through set. Some gas tank straps have really long bolts with nuts, perfect application for a pass through.

Far and away THE big use for nut drivers in my world is on small cable clips (aka Crosbys) used with 1/16" aircraft cable to hang things.
You're frequently on a ladder or platform and the smallness of a driver helps. Also, the thin wall of the driver is almost ALWAYS necessary as the 2 nuts are close together.

OK,...so this pirate walks into a bar with a ship's wheel ...and then what? Kira

As an electrician the nut drivers were much preferred for over head work and the little flanged screws on cover plates. Same with the flanged bolts used in the engine bay. Much easier to keep a finger on the flange and then locate the bolt where it needs to go one handed.

A small ratchet is just too unwieldy one handed.

I won't give up my nut drivers. I prefer them to using 1/4 in sockets. With the nut drivers there is no danger of the sockets falling off and I like the solid feel of the nut drivers.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
The real advantage of a true nut driver is the hollow shaft, which is necessary if you are tightening down a nut over a long terminal stud, which is very common in electrical work.

So what are the most common sizes used in electrical work?

The #10 x 32 stud uses an 11/32" nut. Always used a nut driver for that. The coarser thread is a 3/8" nut.

Still like them for the flanged bolts on car engines now. You can hold the bolt against the nut driver with one finger and lower it into places you can't reach easily to start the bolt.

I thought this was a thread about draymond green.

All kidding aside, I also have that tool you use with sockets.

and a small set of hex chuck ones for the impact driver.. makes quick work of disassembling small tractors.

Any appliance techs out there? What are the most common sized nut drivers used on major appliances?

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
Any appliance techs out there? What are the most common sized nut drivers used on major appliances?

1/4 in and 5/16in for taking off covers, consoles etc.

Depends a lot on what you work on most. For my use nut drivers are necessary,long studs, and lots of small nuts that get dropped. Which brings me to one of my biggest gripes. I like top quality tools, for the tools I use daily, so I bought two sets of Klein nut drivers, one with magnet inserts. Imagine my surprise when, first, the holes in the magnets are smaller than the regular nut drivers, and second, the magnets are simply pressed in, and will come out easily, thirdly, the magnets are fairly weak. For what you pay for them it's not really worth it.

Sorry I got side tracked, but nut drivers can be invaluable in certain situations, so, even if I had to store then somewhere, I'd keep them.

My first set were from Harbor Freight. I twisted the plastic handles off the first time I used them.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
Depends a lot on what you work on most. For my use nut drivers are necessary,long studs, and lots of small nuts that get dropped. Which brings me to one of my biggest gripes. I like top quality tools, for the tools I use daily, so I bought two sets of Klein nut drivers, one with magnet inserts. Imagine my surprise when, first, the holes in the magnets are smaller than the regular nut drivers, and second, the magnets are simply pressed in, and will come out easily, thirdly, the magnets are fairly weak. For what you pay for them it's not really worth it.

Sorry I got side tracked, but nut drivers can be invaluable in certain situations, so, even if I had to store then somewhere, I'd keep them.

Not getting rid of them - gonna find a new home for them - perhaps on my pegboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back