Second lawn mower blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a second blade for my Toro recycler mower. I don't bag the clippings. The Toro blade seems to do a good job mulching but I'm wondering if there is a better mulching blade availabe. I want 2 blades because I want a sharp blade ready to go so I can swap out and sharpen at my convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd blade is nice but I can sharpen it in 1min with an angle grinder. You still have to take a blade off and put one on.. even when you have a spare.

Now the farm mower that does 5acres a week. its nice to have a spare set.. because of lack of electricity hassle.

Many aftermarket blades have good marketing but are not as good as Oem steel etc.

Best 3 years of my life were spent in 2nd grade . Woops, sorry , You said second blade. :)

OEM Toro ONLY!!

Toro puts a lot of effort properly designing their decks, and when you change that with a different blade, the results are less than spectacular. An aftermarket blade will do "ok", but it wont be as good as the factory Toro blade.

Go to Harbor freight and buy one of their cheap grinders. Get a few spare wheels and when you need a new edge, just tip the mower up and sharpen the blade without even taking it off. Probably cheaper then buying a new blade.,,,

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
You can either get another Toro blade or check out the Oregon Gator blade.

L8R,
Matt

Agreed. Never look back after installing gators. Bought direct on Amazon.

Heavens to Betsy! No one mentioned addressing the balance of the blade.

You HAVE to remove the blade so you can lay it upon a nail (or other rod) and see if it's balanced.

No? Totally agree on a good quality of steel.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Heavens to Betsy! No one mentioned addressing the balance of the blade.

You HAVE to remove the blade so you can lay it upon a nail (or other rod) and see if it's balanced.

No? Totally agree on a good quality of steel.

I agree 100%! You need to remove the blade, i don't know how you can properly sharpen the edge on the mower.
You remove it, check it for cracks FIRST. Sharpen it and check the balance, i use a round shaft phillips screwdriver.

I recently bought a set of oregon gator blades for my toro zero turn. The Fusion gator blades are indeed hard, and hold the edge very well. I have not had to sharpen them yet. I am curious to see how they hold up with sharpening.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Go to Harbor freight and buy one of their cheap grinders. Get a few spare wheels and when you need a new edge, just tip the mower up and sharpen the blade without even taking it off. Probably cheaper then buying a new blade.,,,

Good way for a blade imbalance.What's the big deal pulling one bolt? I would avoid a shop that does as you suggest.

Last edited:
I must say the Toro blade seems to do a great job. I sharpen with a Dremel
and also balance. Not that quick of a job so that's why I want a spare.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Good way for a blade imbalance.What's the big deal pulling one bolt? I would avoid a shop that does as you suggest.
Your not taking 2 ounces of metal off the blade ,just putting an edge on it .Why waste time taking your mowers blade off when you REALLY don't have to?.I'd avoid a shop that tries to convince you that taking the blade off to put an sharp edge is the best way to do it. By me that's called a cash-ect-tomy.,,

The blades on my sit down were original. 40 yrs old. I replaced them. The new ones weigh a lot more. I took them off after a season to sharpen them. They did't need it. I peened a couple of rock divots back into place and put them back on. I use a bench grinder. I don't obsess about balance. I try to use 1 or 2 passes per side. What I do to one edge, I do to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back