'15 Ecodiesel, Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30, 8,330mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and gals,

It's been a while since I've been around. I've been enjoying our new truck (well, at least it was new, now it has almost 26k on it!) since last year. As with most of my vehicles, I decided to send in for a UOA on it. I'm a little concerned about the aluminum and iron. What do you think?

15%2BRAM%2BECODIESEL-042516.jpg

Last edited:
I just did a quick search for previous UOAs on Ecodiesels on this forum. Every single one that I found, except one that has a 3-OCI trend, has similar iron and aluminum readings to what yours does. The one with a 3-OCI trend showed what yours does on the first OCI then trended down pretty nicely, but still enough that B-blackstone boldfaced the iron and aluminum as being above their "universal average."

I think that means their "universal average" is just wrong for this engine, it kinda looks like it is normal for it to show iron and aluminum at those percentages, at least below 30k miles. Granted, I also didn't find a report for anything other than Pennzoil Euro, so it would be nice to see how a different low-SAPS (or even standard HDEO- the horror!) fares in that engine.

And you have to remember ALL engines shed wear metals, but the $30 UOA only tracks a fairly narrow window of particle sizes. Its entirely possible that the Ecodiesel doesn't shed any more mass of iron/aluminum than anything else, but just happens to shed right in the particle size window where the UOA sees it all.

Where's the magnesium and sodium? Low moly and ZDDP. Looking at additives and wear metals and the fact this is a diesel, I would switch oils. There are better Xw30 oils for this engine. Delo comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Where's the magnesium and sodium? Low moly and ZDDP. Looking at additives and wear metals and the fact this is a diesel, I would switch oils. There are better Xw30 oils for this engine. Delo comes to mind.

Low SAPS ACEA C3 oils are like that. MS-11106 spec oils are few and far between and DELO isn't one.

I think the diesel fuel in Western Australia must have either lower sulphur content or better lubricity than diesel fuel here in America. I have noticed diesel oil analysis from Austraila and other countries generates lower wear metals compared to usa.

My bad. Delo 400 5W30 is low SAPS, but I thought it was MS-11106 spec. Its not even ACEA C3. Minus a DPF delete, I wouldn't use it either.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What oil filter are you using and does the Eco list 5w30 as the preferred oil?
Mopar filter and yes, Euro L is on meets FCA standards for this engine.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Are you towing?

UD
As matter of fact, yes. And when I tow, I notice that my oil temps go up to 240°F. However, this OCI included very little towing (maybe less than 200 miles worth) as this was a winter OCI. There was idling (maybe a couple hours worth).

With that said, it still bothers me that there is this much metal in there. I would love to go to T-6, but 1. It's not listed as an approved oil and 2. I still have ~75k miles until the engine and emmissions equip is out of warranty...

FWIW, I'm running M1 5W30 ESP now to see if it'll yield a better result.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

I took a look at that link and the first half dozen or so UOA's and it looks like this engine puts out more metal than arcelormittal for a while then settles down.

A filtermag would probably trap a bunch of that iron.

UD

Yes. the OLM indicates 10k intervals and FCA says 7500 for B20 use. I don't use B20 but still do changes at that schedule.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What oil filter are you using and does the Eco list 5w30 as the preferred oil?

Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 are the only two oils approved for the EcoDiesel at the moment. Options are pretty limited for the time being. Both oils are expensive and hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back