BW-44-44 Transfer Case special fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have experience with this transfer case & those who have done service to this transfer case.

Dealer is asking $26 a qt. I found a ebay seller that wants $20 a qt. Mopar # 68089195AA
I don't mind paying the $20 a qt since it only takes 2 qts to do a service.

Amsoil claims their Muti-Vehicle ATF meets the spec for this transfer case but the Mopar fluid is a much thicker viscoisty if feels like compared to the Amsoil MV ATF. This has me some what concerned.

My question is for those who know this Transfer Case and it's clutch type operation is there another fluid option out there that will service this transfer case. If not? I will stick with the expensive Mopar Fluid.

Thanks.

Most Transfer Case fluids are simply boosted ATF's and have a viscosity of 7.3 to 8.0 cST at 100C (with Toyota being one of the exceptions).

According to Amsoil's PDS for their MV ATF:

Quote:
Kinematic Viscosity @100C in cSt (ASTM D445) = 7.5 cSt

Just how thick is the fluid for the Borg_Warner TC?

Last edited:
Molakule: I can find nothing on this fluid except the expensive price! You can tell just be shaking the mopar fluid next to the amsoil. The mopar fluid feels way more heavier.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Amsoil claims their Muti-Vehicle ATF meets the spec for this transfer case but the Mopar fluid is a much thicker viscoisty if feels like compared to the Amsoil MV ATF. This has me some what concerned.
My question is for those who know this Transfer Case and it's clutch type operation is there another fluid option out there that will service this transfer case. If not? I will stick with the expensive Mopar Fluid.

The mopar fluid feels to have a much thicker viscosity compared to the amsoil.

Ever consider:
a)an UTTO 5W30; or
b)a TO-4 SAE30 transmission oils ...... covering the two issues above?
blush.gif

Last edited:
Miss worded that. The mopar fluid feels to have a much thicker viscosity compared to the amsoil.

If you have ANY reservations stick with the MOPAR fluid.

However, my experience is mineral-based fluids may appear thicker at room temp than do do synthetics, even though they may have similar specs.

Do not use a UTTO or other type of fluid simply because the viscosity may be in the neighborhood.

Many of the current TC fluids are modified with specific friction modifiers and just happen to be in the same range of ATF viscosities.

Another alternative is this:

Valvoline TC Fluid Product Specs

Last edited:
Thank You MolaKule for your opinion and advice.

Since I am already a Amsoil PC. I think I will give it a try. I already have 2 qts.

I have seen and read a few times via the net. This Mopar Special Fluid seems to be just Dexron III with a bit more friction modifiers added. Who really knows.
Also read a few observations on this TC-->A few reviews claim after draining the Mopar Fluid & refilling with ATF+4 the TC operated much smoother. Take that for all that is worth {Even though the ATF+4 is not the correct fluid}.

Thanks to All for your opinions. My Ram only has 19K miles on her so I have till around the 25K mile mark before I do this service. Maybe I can dig deeper and stumble upon some more info on this mystery fluid of Mopars.

I do feel comfortable making the switch to the MV Amsoil ATF. That will be my first choice for now.

Thanks again. If any of you just happen to stumble upon some more information on this subject feel free to add it here.

I emailed Valvoline and they informed me they did not produce a fluid cross for the Mopar BW44-44 fluid (including the AutoTrak II fluid they make). This thread has some discussion; at that time Amsoil had no recommended fluid for the BW44-44 transfer case, only the NV243 transfer case.

Transfer Case,BW 44-44......SLF [3]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

Prior Thread Link

I too have not found any informative details on this fluid. Some claim it's conventional Dexron III (see discussion by member Rendevous in the linked thread) but with a severe service interval of 64K miles and standard service interval of 128K miles from the OEM for a fluid change I doubt the OEM fluid is a conventional formulation.

I have 41K miles on my Ram and have not yet changed this fluid. I plan to do so around 64K miles when I next change the ATF as well and use the OEM fluid if there are still no aftermarket alternatives at that point.

Last edited:
Gee, as I posted before on Oct. 31, 2015 (see prior post thread link)

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Royal Purple all state they have no replacement fluid for the BW44-44 transfer case.

I contacted all those companies directly. Did you actually contact Valvoline about their perspective for suitability of their fluid for this application? Has it changed like Amsoil's?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Or did you just post that up without any discussion with Valvoline?

So whose "As I previously stated" wins?

I also stated in the thread you linked:

Originally Posted By: MolaKule from Post #3898065

I see your point but don't think one can necessarily draw that kind of conclusion.

This TC has need of specific friction modification. Now Valvoline may well have developed a TC fluid with a spread of friction coefficients that may work well in the three units they claim they cover.

For AT's there are only about 3 or 4 clutch material manufacturers. Many of these materials are similar.

The main differences are found in the programming (timing) of gear changes with engine speed and torque, and clutch/band pressures.

In terms of MaxLife ATF, I think they have done a good job of finding workable dynamic friction coefficients that cover most of the clutch materials, timing, and pressures used.

It is not a matter of who posts first or posts previously, I was simply reminding everyone, including the OP and other readers, not just you, that if one is not sure of a potential product's coverage, stick with the OEM fluid.

Last edited:
So I'll take that as you had zero discussion with Valvoline for this application. It's a very simple yes or no question and if it was yes you would have no reason not to show that.

If you look back at the thread you copied your post from, you'll seer your post in that thread was not in reference to the BW44-44 TC, but rather this post from the OP in that thread.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Is there an alternative to GM/AC Delco Auto-Trak II fluid?

I seen that RedLine claims their MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil is a "Popular replacement for and improvement over ... Auto-Trak II® (#12378508)"

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204

Has anyone tried it or heard of other fluids that might also work? I don't think Amsoil has a replacement.

My understanding is that GM AT2 fluid is super secret stuff.

So since you haven't done so yet, where did you get the info to recommend the Valvoline fluid for the BW44-44 TC?

As I asked before :

I contacted all those companies directly. Did you actually contact Valvoline about their perspective for suitability of their fluid for this application? Has it changed like Amsoil's?

I am asking, again, just you.

So I'll take that as you had zero discussion with Valvoline for this application. It's a very simple yes or no question and if it was yes you would have no reason not to show that.
If you look back at the thread you copied your post from, you'll seer your post in that thread was not in reference to the BW44-44 TC, but rather this post from the OP in that thread.
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Is there an alternative to GM/AC Delco Auto-Trak II fluid?
I seen that RedLine claims their MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil is a "Popular replacement for and improvement over ... Auto-Trak II® (#12378508)"
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204
Has anyone tried it or heard of other fluids that might also work? I don't think Amsoil has a replacement.
My understanding is that GM AT2 fluid is super secret stuff.

So since you haven't done so yet, where did you get the info to recommend the Valvoline fluid for the BW44-44 TC?
As I asked before :

I am asking, again, just you.

+1

...where did you get the info to recommend the Valvoline fluid for the BW44-44 TC?

I think i see your itch.

Did I speak with the techs at Valvoline, no. Why, because the front desk personel at most oil companies are populated by persons reading scripts - not formulators or chemists.

My suggestion came from my experience developing and formulating lubricants, discussions with mechanical engineers who design gearboxes, and material engineers who develop clutch materials, sensors, actuators, and other controls.

I do know that various TC internals have common metallurgy and materials, so when I suggested the Valvoline product, I saw it as the closest product to satisfy the TC requirements.

Again, my comment was a suggestion with the byline that if one is not comfortable with a suggested product, one should revert to the OEM fluid.

The OP has apparently decided to use a non-OEM fluid anyway.

Last edited:
Right now I actually have 2 qts of the Mopar fluid and 2 qts of the MV Amsoil ATF in my possession. I still have quite a few miles left before the first service of this TC. I'm sure I will go back and forth on my choice. I am still looking and researching the correct choice.

Thanks again for the Advice and Opinions.

I feel I will be ok either way. Just chatted with an owner of another Ram with this TC. He has done 2 services already both with Valvoline--->

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/automatic-transmission-products/maxlife-dex-merc-atf

He commented the TC operates so much smoother with the valvoline.

This might even be a better choice.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/au...sfer-case-fluid

Carl: Did mention on the first service and draining of the mopar fluid it was some what thick and gummy. He pulls a 2k-3Klb trailer during snow and ice and commented the TC before the first service was sluggish and didn't really want to do what it was supposed to do.

After the first service w/Valvoline Maxlife ATF-->The TC performed smooth and quiet like it was designed to do. With never another issue while in 4 Auto or 4 Loc.

This might even be a better choice.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/au...sfer-case-fluid

Carl: Did mention on the first service and draining of the mopar fluid it was some what thick and gummy. He pulls a 2k-3Klb trailer during snow and ice and commented the TC before the first service was sluggish and didn't really want to do what it was supposed to do.

After the first service w/Valvoline Maxlife ATF-->The TC performed smooth and quiet like it was designed to do. With never another issue while in 4 Auto or 4 Loc.

Yep, that is what I suggested a few posts up.

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/transfer_case_fluid.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back