Juicers: anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't, as I love my Nutribullet. Maybe it's me but seems a juicer wastes the good stuff in fruits and vegetables maybe I am wrong. Let's discuss

Those are really nice as the girlfriend and I make homemade peanut butter with it
smile.gif

We have a juicer and a Blendtec blender. Juicing and blending have their own nutritional benefits and are typically done for different reasons. Making whole fruit and veggie smoothies is convenient and can be an easy meal replacement. Juicing fruits and vegetables is more involved and the removal of the fiber makes the juice less filling than a smoothie and therefore not as easy to use as a meal replacement.

Blending keeps the fiber but the heat generated during the process affects the nutritional value. Using the right kind of juicer, such as masticating/slow rather than centrifugal, limits the amount of heat generated and therefore results in less nutrient loss, but you also do not have the benefit of the fiber. However, that lower fiber content can also be a benefit because it allows you to pack in more juice, and the nutrients contained within, before becoming full. When we first got our juicer and would juice daily, most of the juice was made up of dark green vegetables, such as kale, with limited fruits or sugary vegetables to make it more palatable.

Juicing also eliminates the chunks of greens from leafy green vegetables that can stick around even with the best blenders. Over-blending to get rid of those chunks exacerbates the heat issue mentioned above.

We got into juicing because of the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, which you can stream on Netflix or watch in full on the movie's website: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/.

How do you make peanut butter? I have been using TJ's real crunchy. Peanuts and a little salt. A pound a week for 10 sandwiches with 12oz of marmalade on raisin bread baking in my Zojirushi bread machine. Its my version of the classic PBJ sandwich. Just better ingredients.
grin2.gif

We have a juicer and a vitamix. Our juicer (really just a giant USA made motor with some attachments, lets us change screens and very how much pulp is retained.

I do like some pulp with juice, when we juice, though typically we eat whole foods. That said, sometimes it's nice to have fresh vegetable and fruit juice, so it has its place.

I have a plastic juicer I bought in the mid to late 70's, it is working okay after 40 years. If it stops working someday I will buy a replacement. I like juicer better than anything else to extract juice from orange, grapefruit ...

Talking about juicer and fruit juice, to me no drink tastes better than fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice and it is very healthy too. One glass a day is much better than a can of soda.

Last edited:
JHZR2: thanks for the info on juicers as I did not know you could adjust the pulp amount.

HTSS_TR: yeah, I like fresh orange and grapefruit juice as well
smile.gif

The wife bought something called a "Super Angel Living Juice Extractor". We used it for a couple of months but it was clear that removing all the fiber was a bad thing to do (a complete waste of $1,300). She then bought a Vitamix and we use that one quite often for smoothies.

Still makes my blood boil whenever I see that juicer in the kitchen.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The wife bought something called a "Super Angel Living Juice Extractor". We used it for a couple of months but it was clear that removing all the fiber was a bad thing to do (a complete waste of $1,300). She then bought a Vitamix and we use that one quite often for smoothies.

Still makes my blood boil whenever I see that juicer in the kitchen.

You should ! I do too if my wife bought it.

We have a simple blender(costs about $30-50) to make smoothies, and cheap plastic juicer. Both appliances lasted more than 30 years, and still working as of now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A champion juicer, here. Works well, cleans up easily. It's about 20 years old and works like new.

We have a Champion too, and had it well over 30 years. We have a grain mill for it too. The Champion is a serious machine, it not only juices it grates and homogenises too. Runs slow and just squeezes the juice out. We have another good centrifical juicer too, and it puts the pulp into a seperate container so you can make large amounts. A couple of weeks ago we got given a non working Magic Bullet, got it working now. The juicer is useless, so we just use it like those other inverted Nutri things.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Have the Jack Lalanne juicer, still sitting in the pantry.
lol.gif

I sold mine on CL to a girl who was happy to have it. She paid in singles mostly since she was a waitress and she shorted me. I even carried it out to her car. I still remember the car, a Honda Fit that was in rough shape. I think I sold it for $40 and she gave $32.

I have a Breville juicer I bought about 8 years ago that stays in the box more than it's out just due to the inconvenience and clean up. These days, I think for the majority of people, a Nutribullet or Ninja product will probably work much better if you don't need the functions of something like a Vitamix. I can use my Nutribullet and clean it faster than I assemble the Breville while having it take up 1/8th of the space and be instantly portable. I would think the average person is more likely to use something like that more often as it's powerful enough to work as a combo blender / juicer. I'd rather cut the fruit / veg and throw it in the Nutribullet than put whole fruit in the Breville and have the additional time of assembly and cleaning several more parts. I need nutrition, I don't need the last word in extraction of juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back