Battery bit the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the consensus on the best battery these days? My current one is a Die Hard Gold with 700cca. I found the receipt and it was bought 8-31-13. Seems it should've lasted more than three years,or is that a normal lifespan? I'm going to see if maybe Sears will prorate it towards a new one.

My batteries last 6-8 years.

Advance Auto has the better prices in my area. Just replaced the one in my Frontier last weekend. The battery had a bulge on the sides I did not see until removal and a positive post that leaked acid.

My recommendation is write down the battery dimensions and capacity and then find the largest, highest current battery that will fit within the battery space.

I've had the best luck with Diehard Gold batteries. I got over 13 years out of one in my van, and my son replaced a Diehard Gold in his 00 Century which was about 11 years old.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
My recommendation is write down the battery dimensions and capacity and then find the largest, highest current battery that will fit within the battery space.

That's what I was wondering,getting the biggest strongest one that will fit. Do you just go by cold cranking amps alone? I may even replace the terminals while I'm at it. Are there any differences in them or are they all basically the same?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What's the consensus on the best battery these days? My current one is a Die Hard Gold with 700cca. I found the receipt and it was bought 8-31-13. Seems it should've lasted more than three years,or is that a normal lifespan? I'm going to see if maybe Sears will prorate it towards a new one.

Under warranty take it back to Sears. 3 year FREE replacement.

Last edited:
Anything made by East Penn if you want the best. Unfortunately in hot states you should probably buy the longest warranty since 3 years is a good life there.

Batteries just don't last in the hot climate.

Back east they last forever.

That battery should have a 3 year free replacement. Take it back and get your free battery

Seems it should've lasted more than three years,or is that a normal lifespan?

Are you new to Texas? The heat will kill a battery quickly. I remember a member from Arizona saying batteries only last him about 3 years.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Are you new to Texas? The heat will kill a battery quickly. I remember a member from Arizona saying batteries only last him about 3 years.
You're extremely lucky to get 3 years. That's why I bought the $48 battery at Walmart. I figure if it lasts 2 years, that's better than a $150 O'Reilly's battery lasting 3 years.

I have lived in OH, TX,and TN. Most of my car batteries have failed in the hottest part of the summer - various brands. I do not know why, but I think someone on this site offered an explanation a few years ago. Anyway, I am glad they have failed in warm weather and not in the middle of the winter. Typically. my 'failure' is that it will not hold a charge, or 1 cell died, according to the folks that perform the failure diagnosis. Note that most of my driving is short, in-town driving. My charging systems are A-OK.

IMO, your South TX environment is stressful in itself...
I think that Sears should definitely support you.

I buy 'standard' brands from various popular auto stores, and I have reluctantly come to accept that any car battery lasting >3 years is reasonable, thought I have had some last >6 years (a Camry). As I understand it, there are only a few manufacturers of batteries, and the auto stores buy from various suppliers, so this year's great brand is not necessarily next year's sure-thing. I do believe that within each manufacturer there are distinct grades of battery quality (incl mechanical robustness) and service. Consumer Reports provides some guidance that I have found useful.

2 things I have read and believe - First, newer cars start-up pretty fast, so the strain on the battery is less, overall. Second, to save fuel, some cars turn-off the alternator field if the battery is fully charged, then turn it back on when the battery sags. I had an old Civic that did this, and there was a TSB to reprogram it due to too-aggressive 'off' time. And you know the Civic battery is very small to begin with - that car required more batteries than typical..

In recent years, I have purchased the top Walmart "Maxx" battery with good service success and also good warranty service. They always have fresh ones there, which I think is important, and I measure the open-circuit voltage to be sure. Due to battery chemistry, ideal open-circuit voltage 12.76V, indicating full charge.

Due to my typical short, in-town driving, when I install a new battery I drive it on the highway for about 30 minutes to ensure it gets a good initial charge. I admit this might not make any difference, but it is the best I can do for it.

I wonder if my car that is parked on a sideways slope hurts the battery due to potential for cells not being covered completely - nothing I can do about that, but something to mention if you have options of where to park...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
My batteries last 6-8 years.

Advance Auto has the better prices in my area. Just replaced the one in my Frontier last weekend. The battery had a bulge on the sides I did not see until removal and a positive post that leaked acid.

BTW, the battery was a Nissan OEM battery, about 4 years old so it lasted about a year longer than expected.

Another item to check is your charging system.

Make sure the alternator is producing the required power and the drive belts are properly tensioned and in good shape.

Also check all engine compartment electrical connections for corrosion.

Most chemical reaction rates will double for every 10 degrees Centigrade (18 degrees Fahrenheit) change in temperature. What this means is that if the AVERAGE temperature that you battery is exposed to is 18 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the same model of battery in a different location you can expect your battery to only last half as long.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Haha nope,born and raised
smile.gif
The Die Hard Gold that was in the car when I bought it lasted 7+ years. Gf's Die Hard Gold bit the dust in less than three years also. They replaced hers free,so it's off to Sears I go!

In very hot ambient temperatures like the Arizona desert, automotive batteries only last 24 months or less.

As the average ambient temperature becomes somewhat lower, you can expect automotive batteries to last longer.

When someone talks about an automotive battery lasting a long time such as 11, 12 or even 13 years you can expect that that battery on average is not exposed to hot temperatures.

A simple thing like normally keeping a vehicle in a cool garage, compared to exposing it to the hottest temperatures of the day, can make a big difference in the life expectancy of a battery.

24F 50523 appears to be the date code. Battery was bought in August 2013. How old does that make this battery and what is the oldest date code that would be acceptable on a new battery?

You don't need high cold cranking amps, you want high reserve capacity.

Also, you may want to seal the battery with some heat reflector, it is very hot under the hood after driving for 10 -15 minutes, if you can reduce the heat to battery by 10-20F it will increase battery life by few years.

I need to go, I will post what I did to protect my battery under the hood.

Quote:
The 25 Amp. Reserve Capacity Rating is more realistic than Amp-Hour or CCA as a measurement of capacity for deep cycle service.

...Reserve Capacity is difficult and costly to engineer into a battery and requires higher quality cell materials...

http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back