Vibration after rotating tires and painting wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation is either connected or a weird coincidence.

I took my wheels and tires off a few weeks ago and painted the wheels with the tires still on. When installing them back on the vehicle (1994 Corolla), I rotated them in the typical fwd patter where the fronts go the back and the back to the front criss cross. There was no balance issue prior, but after a few days of driving, I felt a shimmy in the steering wheel above 70 mph so I had them balanced. They said the balance was spot on but the steering vibration is still present. It comes and goes and seems more notable when it's hot out.

Is this something with the painted wheels???
confused2.gif
I can't fathom any issues with painted wheels and vibration. Either that or a suspension issue is showing itself at a coincidental time.

Thoughts? Thanks!

While no expert, I don`t think painting the wheels would make a difference . You say the tires are balanced , could you have a faulty tire?

PS , If you didn`t have this issue before the rotation then I wouldn`t suspect a suspension issue.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
While no expert, I don`t think painting the wheels would make a difference . You say the tires are balanced , could you have a faulty tire?

I agree. Also check to make sure you did not have a weight come off. I have had that happen before, actually right after having new tires installed.

First, do another rotation. If the vibration moves or disappears, then the problem is on one or more of the (now) rear tires. If it doesn't move, you'll know it has nothing to do with tires and wheels.

It is possible that the tire have developed an irregular wear pattern - not perceptible on the rear, but quite apparent on the front.

Did you paint the backside of the rims as well? If so, any chance the paint got a little thick and uneven where the rim meets the hub? This could result in the wheel rotation not being true and create a shimmy.

I just had the same thing happen to me, I rotated my tires left to right and now I have a shimmy, they were recently balanced. I'll take it back soon to get them balanced.

Got a rebalance at a different Discount Tire store and now the ride is smooth as butter.

This has happened multiple times and Discount Tire. Before, they wheels had no weights at all and they claimed the balance was perfect. After the rebalance, all the wheels have weights.

I'll be using the other store now on even though it's out of the way.

They probably need to calibrate their balancer. When I was a GS, I kept a 14" steel wheel with a tire mounted in the back of the shop specifically for calibrating the machine. No come backs for vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back