BMW Battery Solution News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Home Energy Storage Solution by BMW

BMW is copying another Tesla's invention. BMW copied the electric car utilizing Li-on batteries, and copied electric car with range over 100 miles.

What else BMW is going to copy from competitor(s) then bad mouthing about them ?

Quote:
Developed in partnership with Germany’s Beck Automation, the system is, on the surface, similar to battery back-up devices that have been developed by several other automakers, notably Daimler AG and Tesla Motors. The latter maker’s Powerwall system uses individual batteries similar to those in the Tesla Models S and X electric vehicles, but BMW actually is relying on an entire battery pack developed for the i3 EV.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

BMW is copying another Tesla's invention. BMW copied the electric car utilizing Li-on batteries, and copied electric car with range over 100 miles.

What else BMW is going to copy from competitor(s) then bad mouthing about them ?

Hardly.

Tesla has no exclusive rights to battery banks in the home and they existed long before Tesla came out with the idea of the PowerWall. What Tesla did was use Lithium Ion instead of traditional lead acid and make it look snazzy.

The same goes for the cars. BMW did not copy Tesla, they simply started using the (now mature) Lithium Ion battery technology that Tesla is using, and also didn't invent. I already pointed you to the example of GM's EV1, which had a range of well over 100 miles using older battery technology, so you most certainly can't credit Tesla with that idea either.

My question is why are you so quick to scream "COPYCAT!!!" every time somebody else does something in the electric market? It is like you think that Tesla owns this segment and that anybody else doing anything in it is copying them. If that were the case, that would mean everybody in the gas market is copying everybody else too.

At some point you need to realize that Tesla's biggest accomplishment here was showing traditional manufacturers that an electric car was not only viable, but if done correctly, could be profitable and appeal to the segment not of the Prius, but of the 5 and 7 series; of the S-class and its ilk. That you could build an electric car that appealed to the executive and could command that kind of price. Once that was demonstrated, traditional manufacturers; those who have been producing cars since before Elon Musk was born, have started to invest seriously in EV's and their related technology. This is NECESSARY in order for the EV to grow beyond where it currently stands and work to replace fossil fuel burning vehicles. This is what Elon Musk, and by extension, Tesla, WANTS!!! Because he is banking on making money through this adaptation and growth. So while you feign offence, he is dancing with glee.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Hardly.

Tesla has no exclusive rights to battery banks in the home and they existed long before Tesla came out with the idea of the PowerWall. What Tesla did was use Lithium Ion instead of traditional lead acid and make it look snazzy.

Did anybody marketing any home battery before Tesla ?

The same goes for the cars. BMW did not copy Tesla, they simply started using the (now mature) Lithium Ion battery technology that Tesla is using, and also didn't invent. I already pointed you to the example of GM's EV1, which had a range of well over 100 miles using older battery technology, so you most certainly can't credit Tesla with that idea either.

My question is why are you so quick to scream "COPYCAT!!!" every time somebody else does something in the electric market? It is like you think that Tesla owns this segment and that anybody else doing anything in it is copying them. If that were the case, that would mean everybody in the gas market is copying everybody else too.

Who invent the battery electric vehicle utilizing Li-on battery ? BMW or Porsche or Audi or another German company ? Yes, BMW invented battery EV utilizing lead acid battery they bought on clearance from Walmart. That was the best a German car company could do in the EV segment.

Who invented battery electric vehicle with more than 200 miles per charge ? A German company ?

As far as I know Tesla invented battery electric vehicle utilizing Li-on battery and it has capability of more than 200 miles between charges. All German companies from Audi to BMW to Porsche to MB were and are copying Tesla idea/design. Remember Tesla introduced Roaster in 2006 with more than 200 miles range utilizing Li-on battery. 10 years later even with just copying design from Tesla none of German company could do 200 miles range for BEV. Best was about 80 miles range after 10 years studying and copying bolt by bolt.

The only latest invention came from Germany was the cheating software used in Diesel engines. Instead of spent time design/engineer an actual zero emission that people can use everyday, all German executives and can engineers think of is writing cheating software.

Try to invent something good for the environment, if not capable then copying someone else and keep your mouth shut. Copying design(s) from them then bad mouth the one you are copying from is worse than low life.

Last edited:

Did anybody marketing any home battery before Tesla ?

YES!!! Tons of companies that sell (and some manufacture) off-grid power kits or kits to fit your house with solar panels. This has been going on for a very, VERY long time. Tesla made it snazzy and did it using Lithium Ion. Most of these kits still recommend using Lead-Acid, as it is a tried and true technology in this application.

Who invent the battery electric vehicle utilizing Li-on battery ? BMW or Porsche or Audi or another German company ?
Nobody "invented" using an existing battery technology, that seems to be the disconnect. Lithium Ion batteries were around before Tesla started using them, so were electric cars. They put them in (very expensive) electric cars, which gave them better range than lead acid or other previously used battery technologies, which were not incorporated in cars that were being sold at the price point of the Model S.

Yes, BMW invented battery EV utilizing lead acid battery they bought on clearance at Walmart. That was the best a German car company could do in the EV segment.

See, you can't even control yourself, you have to make fun because you've already got your conclusion stuck in your head. Those batteries, in the picture you showed berating BMW, were similar batteries to the stock battery in my M5, which are a BMW-style battery, and you aren't buying those on sale at Walmart. Yes, they are "old technology" using lead acid batteries, but then so is the Prius, why aren't you making fun of that? Oh, I know, because it doesn't fit in with your agenda
smirk.gif

Who invented battery electric vehicle with more than 200 miles per charge ? A German company ?

Nobody "invented" the range, I don't think you really understand the meaning of that word. Tesla's use of Lithium Ion batteries allowed for a better range than vehicles that came before it like GM's EV1, which had a range of about 150 miles using older battery technology.

As far as I know Tesla invented battery electric vehicle utilizing Li-on battery and it has capability of more than 200 miles between charges. All German companies from Audi to BMW to Porsche to MB were and are copying Tesla idea/design.

Is HP, using Lithium Ion batteries in their laptops, copying ASUS, who also uses Lithium Ion batteries in their laptops? How about Toshiba, Acer, Samsung, Apple....etc? They all adopted Lithium Ion when it proved to be safe and effective as a battery solution for laptops. Nobody "invented" it for laptop use, it was adopted, just like Telsa adopted it for use in the CAR they INVENTED. To be clear: Tesla didn't "invent" the 200 mile range. They didn't "invent" the use of Lithium Ion batteries. They didn't invent any of this stuff any more than they invented the electric car. What they DID invent was a car that INCORPORATES certain technologies that was able to sold into the Luxury segment and make a profit, that was revolutionary, and as I said before, has caused other marques to take a harder look at EV's and invest more in the technology.

The only latest invention came from Germany was the cheating software used in Diesel engines. Instead of spent time design/engineer an actual zero emission that people can use everyday, all German executives and can engineers think of is writing cheating software.

Try to invent something good for the environment, if not capable then copying someone else and keep your mouth shut. Copying design(s) from them then bad mouth the one you are copying from is worse than low life.

Nothing like slandering an entire nation/culture to pretty much negate any credibility that you might have had. Sounds a bit like a racist anti-German rambling, feeling a bit bigoted today are we?

Oh, and Elon Musk, whose mom is from Canada, her parents are Halderman on her dad's side, where do you reckon that name originally comes from?

Yeah, it is German.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
What's wrong with being German anything? This is a childish argument

That's what I'm wondering
21.gif

My only question is what did German invented in the automotive technologies lately ? The latest invention that German came up with the last 10-20 years was cheating software for diesel engines. They cheat emission testing of more than 100 countries.

Did German invented BEV with Li-on battery that can go more than 200 miles or they copied Tesla design ?

Did German invent Li-on battery for home use or they copied from Tesla ?

It is clearly German only know how to cheat and copy other designs and then bad mouthing the ones they are copying from.

Tesla did not invent any of the stuff that you keep mentioning. They utilize existing technology and existing ideas and put them together. People were talking about using Li ion and long range EV long long before Tesla was ever even an idea.

It seems you have forgotten that BMW is THE ONLY major automaker using carbon fiber as a PRIMARY construction material for two cars, as a MAJOR structural material in a third, and as a very common lightweight material in nearly all.

BMW is still very much at the forefront of automotive innovation.

Let's not forget VAG's dual-clutch gearbox, or their being (along with BMW) the primary driver of direct injection in the US market.

Tesla was a good proof of concept, which is always the most expensive part of any new technology. In a few years the big boys will catch up, BMW with its carbon fiber manufacturing and VAG with its new battery factory.

The fact remains that Tesla still cannot build a car with any sort of initial or enduring quality, and that they allowed all their technology to be open source.

Tesla as a name is on fire. Let's hope they can up their production and quality before they fall to the wayside.

My only question is what did German invented in the automotive technologies lately ? The latest invention that German came up with the last 10-20 years was cheating software for diesel engines. They cheat emission testing of more than 100 countries.

Did German invented BEV with Li-on battery that can go more than 200 miles or they copied Tesla design ?

It is clearly German only know how to cheat and copy other designs and then bad mouthing the ones they are copying from.

I'm not even going to bother to reply to you point-by-point here. You are obviously suffering from some form of xenophobia relative to the German people and a fundamental misunderstanding of the word "invent".

Congratulations, I'm done in this thread.

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

I'm not even going to bother to reply to you point-by-point here. You are obviously suffering from some for of xenophobia relative to the German people and a fundamental misunderstanding of the word "invent".

Congratulations, I'm done in this thread.

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously? Please remove yourself from discussion if you're going to make up such things that are way beyond reality.

Tesla is in no way the originator of any unique element here, and the concept of a smart grid leveraging connected vehicles to push and pull energy from the grid is a long standing concept. The concept of repurposing Li-ion batteries, due to their initial sizing being ~100% oversized and their condemnation point being ~80% of original capacity, is also long standing.

At least BMW actually allows repurposed batteries in their unit. The others apparently do not. Im not convinced Id want them in MY house, but if there were some safe, cooled structure that could use these for grid stabilization, Im all for it. (for the record, Im not convinced Id want a new battery in my house either, and I do battery system development as part of my day job).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back