First time changing oil what to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you're doing regular changes then there is no need for any sort of cleaner or flush product.
In a GDI engine, an FI cleaner might be of use once a year or so, but it won't do anything for the intake valves since they never see fuel.
Even the current formulation of Ultra is a good oil so you should have no problems with any deposits that any oil could control.
DIY is faster, easier and cheaper than using a shop for oil changes, so good for you.

Okay great to know !
Always had company cars so never bothered with the maintenance. I just wasn't sure if its worth using other stuff but good to know PUP is all I need.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi sshazam,

No flush, just use a good quality oil, changed at regular and reasonable intervals.

So you are talking Gumout, PP, PUP and you live in Australia ?
It's all Shell here mate, unless you know a man who knows a man who can who can hook you up....

Shell Helix ultra here is all brand specific and I can't find any suitable for my car. So I order it from Amazon and ship it over it, works out to be $75, so the same price as what Helix sells for. But at least i'm getting the right product

I should clarify, i'm not 100% if my mechanic runs an oil flush every change, I have seen him add some product and let the engine idle for a few minutes. So presume it is that.

Thanks heaps to everyone thats helped with the advice !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sshazam
Originally Posted By: virginoil

What grade do you use in the PUP.

5w30

Shell Helix Ultra full syn 5w-30 HX8 is this not suitable ?

Nothing wrong with the PUP 5W-30, and $75 is still a lot cheaper than M1 5W-30 here.

But there are a few other full synthetic 5W-30 that come to mind
- Shell Helix HX8, SN & A3/B4
- Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30, it's SN & A3/B4
- Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30, it's SN, GF-5, Dexos1, & MS-6395

All those are full synthetic name brands, that should cost less than $75 for 5L. For example last week the Magnatec was $35 on sale at SCA, and I've seen the Dexos SynPower on sale for $57.

Still nothing wrong with PUP if you are happy with the price.

BTW, good work on doing your own oil changes.

Originally Posted By: SR5

But there are a few other full synthetic 5W-30 that come to mind
- Shell Helix HX8, SN & A3/B4
- Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30, it's SN & A3/B4
- Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30, it's SN, GF-5, Dexos1, & MS-6395

Just to add a few more, since I'm not sure what spec you are chasing for your Kia Optima.

- Castrol Edge 5W-30 it's A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5
- Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30, it's A5/B5 & Ford M2C-913-A/B/C

I think that lot should cover most things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back