Lawn tractor tire tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
Go to a bicycle shop and get Mr Tuffy. Its a puncture resistant lining. Since I lined the tires on the Garden Way cart,puncture have gone way down. No goatheads, cat briers that are natures version of barb wire are the hazard here
grin2.gif

Mr Tuffy website says their liners will not stay in place at pressures below 25 psi.

Anybody ever foam filled them? I used to work with telehandlers which had foam filled tires usually and I just thought of that.
I googled a bit and seen people using the foam that you usually use to seal homes, but that doesn't pass my sniff test because that always turns pretty hard and crumbly. I don't see it working long-term.
I need the type of foam than can squish and then return to its original shape, but a small quantity.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, it didn't fix it. I got home from my trip last month, parked in the garage and first thing I saw was it sitting on the left front wheel.
I was not amused.
I mowed yesterday and it was almost flat by the time I finished; about 45 minutes, so its a decent leak.

I'm surprised that you don't use urethane foam. It's what heavy construction equipment uses in that type of environment, and some densities are suitable for smaller garden tractor type tires. It's not the stuff you buy at the local hardware store (which probably won't cure inside a tire), instead it's designed for off road tire use in areas that have issues with punctures.

It's a bit expensive and adds some significant weight to the tire. It also is less forgiving than air; your ride will be rougher. But it's vastly better than fighting with constantly flat tires on lawn and garden equipment.

I had the fronts on my 8N that I use to field mow filled with urethane-probably 15+ years ago. Not a single flat in that entire time; before they were filled I'd have at least one front tire flat each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back