UK Looks to be leaving the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The EU wants the UK to leave as quickly as possible.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016...oon-as-possible

Sour grapes. As soon as the next member starts leaving talks, the faeces is going to be streaking in those tighty-whities.

It is indeed sour grapes. The EU is a band of elitists that is only worried about their own future existence. It's unfortunate but that is what it has become.

Our federal government is far bigger and far more powerful than the EU. And yet we keep on voting for our federal government to do more.

Are the UK voters smarter than US voters? (Btw, I agree with what they've done).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
This is fantastic news! The EU is/was (hopefully) a complete sham of a governmental organization with unelected leaders in Brussels meddling in local affairs they have hardly any knowledge of or need to be in. Not to mention the hoards of Middle Eastern migrants they're shoveling in against the people's will.

This vote represents perfectly the concept of good fences make good neighbors. Hopefully this puts a huge dent in globalism.

strange... I vote for my EU representatives every 5 years....

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Our federal government is far bigger and far more powerful than the EU. And yet we keep on voting for our federal government to do more.

Are the UK voters smarter than US voters? (Btw, I agree with what they've done).

No - sheeple are still sheeple. They're just further "down the line" than we are. Their country is literally being transformed before there eyes. It isn't bad enough here...yet. It takes a proverbial frying pan over the head until your typical sheeple realizes what's happening. The Sheeple will stick their heads into the sand/iPhone until they literally start to feel threatened. Only then does their Medulla oblongata kick in and override their previous sheeple ways.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

+1+. Bravo! Well put sir
thumbsup2.gif

Diversity, political correctness, and open borders is simply a prelude to the concept of a One-World governing body.

One thing we have to consider is that a so-called one world government undermines Nationalism, self-identity, and especially a nation's sovereignty, the ability to govern one's self.

The politicos that would govern don't have any responsibility to answer to the governed and they don't have to live with the non-assimilated terrorists who would markedly change society.

are you talking about the USA?

As I posted in a related thread, to which I've added a bit:

"Oh oh, we're in trouble.
Someone's come along and they've burst our bubble."
The EU can ill afford to lose one of its rich nation members.
As one Englishman put it, the country has survived far worse during its many centuries of existence.
This will spark a huge negotiation among every EU state with the Brussels Eurocrats uninvited and ignored.
Problem is that most of the remaining EU nations are enslaved to the Euro and that will be very difficult to unwind. The Euro as administered by the ECB is arguably worse than the EU. At least the Brits had the good sense to retain their own currency. Incidentally, it isn't so much the EU propping up Greece as it is the ECB destroying the Greek economy and creating the need for Greece to be propped up.
I do look for a return to the era of the EC and a dismantling of the European regulatory regime. Sovereign states should not be expected to yield to an unelected and unaccountable Eurocracy.
This is what the Brits really wanted and most other members want it as well.
A free trade zone made huge sense then and now.
This is a harsh wake-up call and a huge embarrassment for Germany and France, especially France.

I'm not sure we'll ever see the day that the US government decides to shrink itself. It's so easy to increase taxes by 1% that the funding will always be there.

However, it would not surprise me if some states or regions try to secede. Logistically it'll be a nightmare to do but I can at least see it gaining enough traction to find its way into Congress. I'm not saying they will secede but that frustrations will grow to the point where everyone acknowledges it.

I keep hearing how northern CA and southern OR want to form a separate state. While I doubt it'll happen, this is the one event I hope I get to see in my lifetime.

The ironic thing is that the UK itself did invade scores of countries and then formed and maintained a relationship with those countries known as the "Commonwealth" with the Queen as it's head. It is something she is very fond of and citizens of the Commonwealth, mostly brown skinned, are higher in the pecking order for immigration. That has gone on for decades. But it was the opening up of the EU to white eastern Europe that allowed unlimited immigration that proved to be too much.

The elite/royality in the UK invaded those other countries not the general citizens, I'm sure if the ordinary Englishman, Scot, or Welsh would have been allowed to determine such related policies during those times they would have been COMPLETELY against such meddling, you see the commoners have far more common sense than the royalty and elites, and a lot less arrogance and belligerence.

UK leaves EU or stays with EU doesn't effect other countries outside Europe, then why stock market all over the world tanked ?

Personally, I think EK and EU relationship doesn't matter to most people outside Europe, why every new channel talks about it ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
UK leaves EU or stays with EU doesn't effect other countries outside Europe, then why stock market all over the world tanked ?

Personally, I think EK and EU relationship doesn't matter to most people outside Europe, why every new channel talks about it ?

per Garak's post...

Originally Posted By: Garak
If I had a dollar each time investors panicked about a non-event, I'd be able to afford Bill Gates as my butler.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm not sure we'll ever see the day that the US government decides to shrink itself. It's so easy to increase taxes by 1% that the funding will always be there.

You are so correct. This is the definition of tyranny. The UK is small enough to remove themselves from such a thing. Here in the US, the land of 'freedom' we're approaching the point where its nearly impossible to overcome. Our ruling class has the media on their side, which makes it more impossible because if you don't toe the line with their world view then you are ridiculed, talked down to, labeled as unintuectual, bigoted, racist, etc. This decision, made by the majority of the UK populace is such a story here because it didn't go the way the ruling class and the media expected it to go. They can't understand how anyone can have a different opinion than their own. I could ramble on...

To those before me who have said 'isn't this political? Why is this not locked?' Its not political. You only feel that way because you and your uniformed brothreren have made it that way. You don't agree, thus you throw you're arms in the air in protest. Dust of your uniform, throw your fist in the air and march onto your next contrived battle.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
per Garak's post...

Yep, it is just silly overreaction right now. Nothing changed overnight. It's not like the UK eliminated all gasoline powered vehicles with immediate effect, or did something insane with interest rates, like a 20% prime rate, or cancelled the pound and said all transactions effective tomorrow must take place with only the Chinese yuan and in cash. They didn't send the Royal Navy's attack subs to go sink every tanker in the Gulf.

Sure, some things will change over the next few years. We're not even sure of the timeline. However, as it stands, people still are going to work daily. They still need food, water, and shelter. They're still watching television and going to movies and buying clothes and gasoline. They're still sending their kids to school and living their lives just like they always did.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
The Sheeple will stick their heads into the sand/iPhone until they literally start to feel threatened. Only then does their Medulla oblongata kick in and override their previous sheeple ways.

Or until a charismatic outsider rallies them.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Problem is that most of the remaining EU nations are enslaved to the Euro and that will be very difficult to unwind. The Euro as administered by the ECB is arguably worse than the EU. At least the Brits had the good sense to retain their own currency. Incidentally, it isn't so much the EU propping up Greece as it is the ECB destroying the Greek economy and creating the need for Greece to be propped up.
I do look for a return to the era of the EC and a dismantling of the European regulatory regime. Sovereign states should not be expected to yield to an unelected and unaccountable Eurocracy.
This is what the Brits really wanted and most other members want it as well.
A free trade zone made huge sense then and now.
This is a harsh wake-up call and a huge embarrassment for Germany and France, especially France.

This is how I feel also. The Euro currency has been the biggest plague. UK was smart enough not to join this currency in the first place and thus their leave from the EU will be that much easier. I'm sure that it would be much more painful to leave from the Euro currency and the EU at the same time.

What went wrong with the Euro currency is that the "no bail-out" agreement between the Euro countries did not hold. At first it was agreed that every country handles their own debt. Then came the Greek crisis and all of a sudden every country in Euro was forced to shovel money to Greece (the few countries which still had their own currency didn't have to participate). So, it seems that today Euro debt is a shared debt.

Of course there have been other problems also in the past few years. There's been some talk that EU should have a right to tax EU citizens. And there's been also this refugee crisis, where we are forced to share equally the refugees that floods to Greece and Italy. What happened to the Dublin Regulation (the responsible Member State will be the state through which the asylum seeker first entered the EU)?

So, contracts and agreements are rewritten. That's just too much. EU was supposed to be mainly a free trade area where goods and EU citizens can travel without borders. This is a good thing as it increases the economic growth. But on top of that we have been pushed little by little to deeper integration. Towards the United States of Europe. This is not what was agreed 20 years ago.

Part of me is glad that UK did make this brave move, because now EU must rethink what its role really should be.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Shannow
per Garak's post...

Yep, it is just silly overreaction right now. Nothing changed overnight. It's not like the UK eliminated all gasoline powered vehicles with immediate effect, or did something insane with interest rates, like a 20% prime rate, or cancelled the pound and said all transactions effective tomorrow must take place with only the Chinese yuan and in cash. They didn't send the Royal Navy's attack subs to go sink every tanker in the Gulf.

Sure, some things will change over the next few years. We're not even sure of the timeline. However, as it stands, people still are going to work daily. They still need food, water, and shelter. They're still watching television and going to movies and buying clothes and gasoline. They're still sending their kids to school and living their lives just like they always did.

Many British millennials say their futures are screwed with this decision and will hurt job prospects.

Here's a true story from Britain.....I have an inlaw who purchased an expensive 'flat' (apartment) in a suburb of London.
One of her neighbors (a single white man) likes to cook a 'traditional' breakfast of rashers (bacon), bangers (sausages), eggs and brown bread on the weekends.

A muslim neighbor (this is a well to do area so this isn't an 'ignorant' jihadist type...at least I hope not)...rang his bell and complained asking that he no longer cook PORK products as it bothered his family....

How should this white man respond? I know how I would respond....

Can you imagine how bold and demanding muslims will become as their numbers grow...

PS: This is happening right here in the USA...Google "Texas Pig Farmer asked to move by muslim neighbor"....In classic Texas style, the pig farmer responded by staging pig races every Friday night...good for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back