It is HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
If it makes you guys feel any better, it only got to 15C here today, which is about 59F...oh, did I mention it's the middle of winter here? Shortest day (winter solstice) tomorrow, which means we're heading back towards the warmer weather at last
smile.gif
Then maybe you Northern Hemisphere guys can stop complaining about the heat...

59 sounds great. But what's it normally like in Tasmania on December 22?

My theory is that no sane humans moved willingly to the Gulf South or the desert Southwest before widespread A/C was available. Somewhere I read that J. Edgar Hoover considered assignment to the New Orleans FBI office to be a punishment -- and before cooled offices, cars, restaurants, and houses, having to wear even summer suits and shirts would have been torture for sure.

Anytime I get the urge to complain about how hot it is, I just think to myself, it could be snowing...no thanks, I'll take the heat...

High today will be 108F in Lake Forest, Orange County, Southern California. This 108F is probably new record for the month of June in this part of Southern California. Yesterday they predicted high today is 98F, but they added 10F today.

Inside the house the temperature was 76F at 6:30AM with all windows opened. My A/C will have a good work out today, even with thermostat set at 78F.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is so hot in So Cal today the temp was 80 at 9:00 AM and 96-97 at 12:00 PM. I walked the dog this morning as usual but he didn't want to go, within 15-20 seconds he went back to the house and stay indoor.

I have thermostat set at 78F and the A/C is running 10-15 minutes at a time, after 4-5 minutes break between running.

It's water under the bridge, but your unit is oversized for the load. A properly sized unit should run continuously at least 30 minutes, preferably 45 minutes with 5-10 minute breaks during the peak temperatures.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is so hot in So Cal today the temp was 80 at 9:00 AM and 96-97 at 12:00 PM. I walked the dog this morning as usual but he didn't want to go, within 15-20 seconds he went back to the house and stay indoor.

I have thermostat set at 78F and the A/C is running 10-15 minutes at a time, after 4-5 minutes break between running.

It's water under the bridge, but your unit is oversized for the load. A properly sized unit should run continuously at least 30 minutes, preferably 45 minutes with 5-10 minute breaks during the peak temperatures.

I have no idea which is the right size and which isn't.

We had an A/C in the first house in Santa Ana 28-30 years ago. Of the 8 years with that house we used A/C probably 10-20 times total, we had A/C on 3-5 days the first year, probably 2-3 times second year and 2-5 times the last 2 years.

Second house in Irvine didn't have A/C, and for 17 years living there I think we should have one for about 2-5 days a year.

This third house we bought 2 years ago already has A/C so I use use it. And to conserve energy(and pocket) I set thermostat to 78F during the day, 76F in the evening when everybody is home and back to 82F overnight.

For days like yesterday and today when temperature is above 85-90F and inside is above 75-76F I have all 5-6 fans running.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Contractors are notorious for oversizing A/C's. They don't want callbacks.

Bigger is not better (it is worse). The longer it runs the more it dehumidifies.

Last edited:
I'd have to sit in my car or office for a/c.
Fans are all we got at home and fine for all but a handful of days per year. Its actually staying cooler near the coast [up here], than they had predicted, I think.

It was 90 degrees when I left my house this morning, at 8:20AM. Peak was 118 and it's starting to cool down right now.. "only" 116 degrees. I WISH the high was only 97.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Anytime I get the urge to complain about how hot it is, I just think to myself, it could be snowing...no thanks, I'll take the heat...

You got that right.
91F here today with Lord knows how high a relative humidity. This part of the state is always very humid.
Still, the heat and humidity beat the conditions found in January or February.
Unlike most other parts of the country that see real heat and humidity, we also see real cold which is much worse.

115 here today. Drove the Trailblazer and pulled my trailer, it was not happy. Needs a fan clutch. It may have been over boiling the coolant too, radiator cap was leaking afterwards.

2r5uomp.jpg

Man, I feel a bit bad complaining about 90f with ~50% RH today. Still, we are running the window units today and tonight to stay comfortable to sleep lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back