Use a heavier oil or HM oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has a 98 Civic w/160K miles and it uses a quart every 1000 miles or so. No apparent leaks so it's likely burning. Changing the PCV valve hasn't helped. He goes to quick lube places so the car gets random bulk 5W30.

He going to get a pizza and I'm going to change the oil for him this weekend
smile.gif
. Should we use a HM 5W30 like MaxLife, a regular 10W30 or go up to a 40 weight?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I would first try...... MaxLife 5w30.

What part of the right coast are you located in (state)?

+1 on the Max life if it's readily available.

You could actually do either or both.
You could try Maxlife 5W-30. Maxlife does work in my experience.
You could also go up to Maxlife 10W-40. I used 10W-40 in a few Civics here for years and we see colder winter temperatures here than does most of the right coast, since we have no ocean to moderate our temperatures, although we do have a lake which helpfully freezes all the way to Canada in a really cold winter. You could walk there. It's been done routinely.
I'd try the 5W-30 first and see what happens. You can then move up a grade and see what that does.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
My buddy has a 98 Civic w/160K miles and it uses a quart every 1000 miles or so. No apparent leaks so it's likely burning. Changing the PCV valve hasn't helped. He goes to quick lube places so the car gets random bulk 5W30.

He going to get a pizza and I'm going to change the oil for him this weekend
smile.gif
. Should we use a HM 5W30 like MaxLife, a regular 10W30 or go up to a 40 weight?

Maxlife 10w40 if you can find it in Wallymarket, or use half a can of a major brand stop leak oil additive.
Make sure the thermostat is working correctly, as hot oil leaks faster.

Me, I'd do this in stages. Change the oil to ML 5W-30 AND add a 1/2 can of BG109. Run it out to the next oil change and see what happens... If the consumption has slowed, OK you are there
smile.gif

If it has not changed much (it will change some...), then I'd go to ML 10W-40 and the other 1/2 can of of BG109.

Sometimes it takes two treatments to knock loose the carbon/coke and free the rings... Does not always work, but seems to help about 2/3's of the time
smile.gif

It's a small sump and a small motor. Should not do a full can, a bit too much ...

The other treatment is a big shot of Break-Free gun solvent in each spark plug hole and let it sit overnight w/o starting (plugs back in). Break Free is used to soften carbon fouling in barrels. Works really good on rings
laugh.gif

Fire it up next day, take it for a short drive, then change the oil again. So you want to do this when it's due anyway
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have used 5w30 high mileage Pennzoil in my sons civic for a long time and just changed to the Max life last oil change with both oils it burned a quart around the 1200 mile mark.. My sons is a 2004

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd try a high mileage 10W30 first and see what happens.

+1 - or just a plain 10w30 - my old accord used to drink 5w30 (HM,conventional and synthetic) and using 10w30 has stopped consumption to almost nil. Just traveled a little under 900 miles to Atlanta from home and it didn't have to be topped off at all.

I'd try to clean first, including a good ol piston soak with a carb cleaner or kero, after that at least atf or flushing. Then a 10w40 semisyn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
My vote goes to the cheapest certified 15w40 CJ-4 you can find.

I second this idea. This oil resists burn offs and will be fine for cold starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back