3,000 mile OCI/severe service/newspaper delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I just got a new vehicle to use delivering the paper and it's been 3000 miles since the last oil change so I'm debating whether to change it this week or continue to 4,000 miles. It's a 2003 Ford Focus with roughly 218,000 miles. I bought it from my mechanic and he tells me the previous owner always changed the oil between 3-4000 miles. The oil is Kendall synthetic blend from Goodyear here in town. My route is 80 miles every morning on mostly dirt roads which are pretty dusty this time of year plus any driving I do during the day. I consider this to be severe service so should I make sure to change it closer to 3000 or just go to 4? I'm probably being overly cautious because this car is still running extremely well despite the high mileage. No leaks or burning at all.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Replace oil every 5k miles and air filter every 10k.

Has the timing belt been changed?

Air filter every 10k?! that's ridiculous. 30k minimum.

Also there's a chance he has the lifetime filter on that year which is good until the restriction gauge says otherwise and is exceptional at dirt removal.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Also there's a chance he has the lifetime filter on that year which is good until the restriction gauge says otherwise and is exceptional at dirt removal.

In Phoenix it's not and OP said he is on rural dusty roads. But a 3k oci anywhere is ridiculous! 5k is the new 3k.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

80 miles a day of mostly dirt roads? I'd be changing my air filter pretty often. Fram air filters are $4.51 each on Amazon. My mom had an 03' Focus and it had a standard paper filter.

Thank you for all of your responses. I will ask my mechanic whether he changed the timing belt. He told me the air filter was changed 6 months ago, and it looks like the lady who owned it didn't drive very much, so I'll change it again in the fall. It's the poorly designed Focus air filter box with the four metal screws in plastic nuts. The ones that break inside and keep turning. Should the timing belt be replaced preemptively on this vehicle?

I had an '05 focus. It saw nothing but severe service just not in a particularly dusty enviroment. I changed at 5k with Motorcraft synthetic blend. The car w as s solid as the day is long when I got rid of it. In your case and given how cheap air filters are I would change it every 3rd oil change and of course every time you change an air filter, clean your maf.

Originally Posted By: Aurora09
Hi everyone, I just got a new vehicle to use delivering the paper and it's been 3000 miles since the last oil change so I'm debating whether to change it this week or continue to 4,000 miles. It's a 2003 Ford Focus with roughly 218,000 miles. I bought it from my mechanic and he tells me the previous owner always changed the oil between 3-4000 miles. The oil is Kendall synthetic blend from Goodyear here in town. My route is 80 miles every morning on mostly dirt roads which are pretty dusty this time of year plus any driving I do during the day. I consider this to be severe service so should I make sure to change it closer to 3000 or just go to 4? I'm probably being overly cautious because this car is still running extremely well despite the high mileage. No leaks or burning at all.

Don not change a THING

Originally Posted By: Aurora09

Do not change a THING, 218000 miles on the vehicle says a lot. We can learn from you.

In extreme conditions the 3000 OCI and 10000 miles for air filter are both fine.

Do not underestimate your own judgement or the previous owners advice.

No leaks no burning oil do not change a thing.

Last edited:
3k oil usage on mostly dirt roads sounds very reasonable. Owner's manuals would consider this severe service.

Keep the air filter changed too.

If money is an issue, use Supertech filters and oil.

Based on the age of the car and distance driven, I think you can safely extend the OCI to 4000 Miles.

It's not like this is a show car. As mentioned by others, keep an eye on the air filter.

Do one better... put a filter minder on the air box and change the air filter when the gauge shows. I use them on all my personal and commercial vehicles. Air filters actually filter better with time. No need to change until vacuum starts increasing, hence the gauge showing that. I drive down several miles of dusty gravel road every time I go to and from the house. If I changed filter every time it "looked" dirty, I would be changing it pretty frequently. I rarely change the air filter even annually. Regarding oil changes, I do 5000 mile intervals on my personal vehicles because of the dusty conditions. Otherwise, would go longer.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back