Yield & Stop Signs @ same intersection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
But for the most part, traffic circles are an improvement over a 4 way intersection.

Agree, but only IF people know how to properly use them. Those who've never seen them before tend to get confused and may cause the opposite effect. Having grown up in a place that uses traffic circles, I'm comfortable with them, but I can see how it can be a foreign concept to others and might take time to get used to.

Here in the States, drivers are for the most part "conditioned" by STOP signs. Now, all of a sudden you get to a traffic circle where there are no stop signs, and instead there are yield signs. Technically there are supposed to also be "right-of-way" signs, too, for those who are already on the circle, but now that I come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a "right-of-way" sign in the US. It must not exist here.

2346445-traffic-sign-right-of-way-with-clipping-path.jpg

Most road signs in the US are text based. I guess it's dumbed down so that people don't have to memorize what the different shapes/colors mean. Maybe that's also why many people don't have a clue what a "yield" sign actually means, unless it's spelled out for them.

561px-Canada_-_yield_sign.svg.png
R1-2-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, Ive seen that. Usually in shopping malls which it sounds like you are describing. And yeah, the purpose would be to keep the main feeder from backing up.
I always treat the stop signs in malls and parking lots as yields anyway so doesn't really bother me.

Around here they just don't put any sign incoming, which is confusing enough because people stop anyway. This sounds even more confusing.

I think they are trying to imply that you should slow down and watch for cross traffic, but that you have priority.
Doesn't meet the description of a yield sign, but like someone above pointed out, these are usually put in by developers and not the city or whoever controls the signage in the area.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe that's also why many people don't have a clue what a "yield" sign actually means, unless it's spelled out for them.

Most Californians don't even know or care what "yield" means. And some think it means other drivers should yield, not them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back