Motorcycle engine oil devolopment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
LoneRanger; Do you think there is much of a future for 2-stroke engines, or has technology stood still in their development?
Outboard marine engines and snowmobiles mostly.

I would guess that you bought a Ducati in part for it's unique DVT, yet to my knowledge never tried in an automotive engine..

Yes I think there is a future. There are applications where a 2 cycle just makes sense.

https://www.lubrizol.com/mceo/

My thoughts,its all just marketing.
With that said, nothing wrong with buying the product, but if you have a shared sump transmission any Jaso oil will be fine and most HEDOs.

For the other over 30% of the population who does not have a shared sump, just use the fluids recommended and you are good to go.

Its just oil, its just marketing, no one company is superior to the other and NEVER does a company prove otherwise except maybe Amsoil.

It seems that at this point in time, oils developed for motorcycle use are about as good as they need to be. The biggest percentage of Motorcycles are never used up to there full potential. And tend to live a good life based upon how many 20-50 year old bikes that available for sale thru any venue. Cars and trucks tend to get used up and worn out, in ways motorcycles will never be subject to. So it would be hard to find an oil produced today for use in a street bike, that won't do it's intended job.,,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Everything about current rice rockets is just amazing. On the basis of dollars to thrills a 100 horsepower motorcycle is tough to beat.

Motorcycle oil has a tough job and modern synthetic motorcycle oil is an amazing product.

It's difficult to imagine a faster bike than a current bike but next year's bike will be faster.

In 1960 there was a magazine article about the 650cc Triumph Bonneville. It weighed 380 pounds and had 40 horsepower. The article stated that 40 horsepower was all that anyone could possibly use and the bike was a rocket.

They're right...I am at the point where I would no longer oppose tiered licensing and/or a hard limit on MC power and displacement.

You said it all OneEyeJack;
Anything to do with music, sports and motorcycles is at the leading edge of technology, and the automotive sector is just beginning to catch up.
Yamaha, for example is the #2 brand in grand pianos, and has a 5 valve cylinder head motorcycle engine.

I wonder if the current generation know who to thank for all this technology?

5-valve isn't new...heck, VW/Audi has it 20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
The thing driving 2-strokes out is pollution regs. That is also the only reason to consider mass flow intake air sensors. MAP is simpler, cheaper, and IME more reliable, so bikes will stay with that until emissions regs force them to greater complexity. At present, motorcycles have more lax emissions requirements than cars. That seems to be changing, however.

Speed-density EFI can be just as clean...offhand, at least some ULEV engines use it.

But motorcycle EFI is generally pretty primitive...don't many of them STILL always run open-loop?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Everything about current rice rockets is just amazing. On the basis of dollars to thrills a 100 horsepower motorcycle is tough to beat.

Motorcycle oil has a tough job and modern synthetic motorcycle oil is an amazing product.

It's difficult to imagine a faster bike than a current bike but next year's bike will be faster.

In 1960 there was a magazine article about the 650cc Triumph Bonneville. It weighed 380 pounds and had 40 horsepower. The article stated that 40 horsepower was all that anyone could possibly use and the bike was a rocket.

They're right...I am at the point where I would no longer oppose tiered licensing and/or a hard limit on MC power and displacement.

smile.gif
Have to disagree Jarl, my Duc has 160hp/101 lb-ft torque and I still want more, power is addictive !!
laugh.gif

Why do you care about how much power bikes make? You have your approx. 24 rwhp, and nobody should be allowed to have more hp than you?

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Why do you care about how much power bikes make? You have your approx. 24 rwhp, and nobody should be allowed to have more hp than you?

Mostly? The twerp that takes a 2-day MSF class on a Rebel and buys a 1000+cc superbike the next day. The moron that buys a 950lb Road King as his first bike. The squidiots that stunt ride in traffic. (Saw one Saturday...lane splitting at 100+MPH-in 70+MPH traffic-on a CBR.)

I'd be fine with no more than 500cc for zoom-splats, 750 or 800 for standards & dual sports, 1050cc for liquid-cooled and 1450cc for air-cooled cruisers and tourers. All should be governed, attempting to remove the speed limiter should result in the ECM bricking and the bike being useless.

Mostly? The twerp that takes a 2-day MSF class on a Rebel and buys a 1000+cc superbike the next day. The moron that buys a 950lb Road King as his first bike. The squidiots that stunt ride in traffic. (Saw one Saturday...lane splitting at 100+MPH-in 70+MPH traffic-on a CBR.)

I'd be fine with no more than 500cc for zoom-splats, 750 or 800 for standards & dual sports, 1050cc for liquid-cooled and 1450cc for air-cooled cruisers and tourers. All should be governed, attempting to remove the speed limiter should result in the ECM bricking and the bike being useless.

I never realized you were so pro 'Big-Brother'.

If you want to have the freedom to live your life as you see fit, you'll have to accept the fact that others can too.

I didn't used to be...but I realized not long ago that yes, there are many people that REALLY ARE too stupid to tie their shoes unaided.

If you want to have the freedom to live your life as you see fit, you'll have to accept the fact that others can too.

^ X2 ^

I didn't used to be...but I realized not long ago that yes, there are many people that REALLY ARE too stupid to tie their shoes unaided.

The real "stupid" part is believing that laws/limits/regulations will somehow keep people safe and stop them from doing risky things.....

Jarlaxle said:

Yes, sadly, there, lately, seem to be many people who no longer believe people should be free. They believe government should regulate your life for your own good.
Thing is, it NEVER works, never worked in the history of mankind. People are free or not. Once government controls what you do, like taxes, it grows and grows (as is happening now) until the only ones who are free are the ones in power who are limiting and regulating your freedoms. They are also above the law.(think about it)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back