How trust worthy is olm

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dart is at 7% on the olm. I've gone 7400 miles. My car takes 0w20 so assuming i stick with the viscosity recommended I guess that pretty much only leaves synthetics. That being said could I go to 10,000 miles ? Or should I not go past the olm. I've never gone over 5000 or so on an oil change but the oil even at 7400 miles doesn't look bad and I realize going longer on good quality oil is possible. So opinions please. Also in regards to synthetics seems like you can't mention synthetic without Mobil 1 coming to mind. Why is it a lot of people experience noiser engines with it and higher iron wear? Is that not a huge deal I guess? Any rhyme or reason to it?

7400 aint too bad. Find a good synthetic that meets your vehicles spec and use a full syn 0w20. Its easier to change oil than motors. I would change at 7500, rotate tires and stick to a parameter in this range. I run Edge or Magnatec 0w20 in my Civic and it gets down there in the 8k-11k range. I DO change filter and top off between the 60-40% just for the warm fuzzy feeling. Run Pennzoil,Castrol, or Mobil1 and rest easy.

If this is a new car and you care about warranty, just change it when the OLM says to.
If warranty is out, well, I would still go by the OLM.
Now this is if the OLM is a smart one (hours run, mileage, idle time, temp, etc).
If it is a dumb one (kicks off every x,xxx miles regardless) then maybe not.

Last edited:
Quite trustworthy on modern cars. That's not a problem with modern engines and modern oil.

My car is known for being a sludge monster, engine is clean and I just ran 7,500 miles on PP and the UOA came back beautiful, I could have easily run to 10k miles.

I seem to recall the OM for my 2013 Dart saying to change the oil within 500 miles of the OLM going off. You probably have a margin of safety and I feel the OLM is based on using synthetic oil since 0W-20 is recommended. That being said, there are blend 0W-20s out there and I'd be less inclined to exceed the OLM with those. As always, keep the oil level topped off.

If it goes off at 8000 miles max I can't pretty much run any synthetic that long right ? I wonder which one I should run is pp still top dog ?

If you use something like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 0W-20 then you will have no issues running the full length of the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
If it goes off at 8000 miles max I can't pretty much run any synthetic that long right ? I wonder which one I should run is pp still top dog ?
What? You've been on this forum long enough that you should know synthetic oil is good for well over 10k miles.

My mom has a 2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L that has run 8-12k miles on conventional for the past 60k miles. It's running fine.

My sister-in-law had to do battle with GM over her failed timing chain & guides in her 2011 Equinox after the dealership admitted that the OLM had been programmed incorrectly, allowing people to drive far too long on old oil.

She followed the OLM religiously and even used Mobil1, but it wasn't enough to overcome the damage the OLM caused her to inflict. She did finally get a new timing chain on GM's dime.

Fast forward to late 2015 when, at 8700 miles, the OLM in my 2015 Canyon still read 79% oil life remaining. I had changed the oil at 500 miles and reset the OLM at that time, so it was really only 8200 miles on the oil. I figured there was no way 79% could be right, so I dumped the oil & reset it. It's now at 13,900 and is OLM reads 21%. Not sure what caused the hiccup on the first OCI, but it seems to have gotten itself back in line.

I don't trust an OLM 100% because of these occurrences, and keep tabs on time and mileage and take action if something seems amiss. I pay no mind to the OLM in my Focus ST. It gets changed at 5K.

With running a longer oci should I be concerned with shearing? Id hate for a 0w20 to shear. That's why I ran a 5w40 before probably over kill. But even a 0w30 would atleast give it some leeway right ? Or is shearing a none issue ?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
0W20 is supposed to be shear stable. From the UOAs I've seen it doesn't seem to be an issue.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back