move over esters...time for alkylated napthenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil has been using them for quite a while now, XOM Chemical makes them
smile.gif

Jim,
I'm thinking so...and some of the boutiques will be selling on old data rather than new.

Castrol has napthenes in some of their oils at this time. They are reserved for their highest level/best offerings. Which makes sense in a way.

I believe Mobil 1's Tri-Synthetic version had AN's.....and that was over 15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Jim,
I'm thinking so...and some of the boutiques will be selling on old data rather than new.

Same thinking here, it makes sense. The boutiques will be second in line to the latest technology. IMO they follow the leaders of industry [XOM, etc.], not lead them.
27.gif

What is the cost of this wondrous elixir compared to PAO esters? It beat PAOs in all the tests. It is a very simple hydro-carbon. Could you cook this up using fat and lye? Kinda like making soap in the olden days? I s'pose EM would be driving technology. Is it the mystery in MMO? What is the hitch?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Mobil has been using them for quite a while now, XOM Chemical makes them
smile.gif

I was going to say... These have been in M1 msds for some time now.

Jim,

Same as how group III is so horrible and should be equated to bilge sludge.

I you open a bottle of Mobil anything you will see some cloudiness.

That's due to AN's.

They have been around for quite some time.

I still have some in the lab.

Last edited:
Alkylated Naphthelene's are used as ester substitutes for solvency in PAO oils and is less hygroscopic than some esters (but not all).

The main reason for using AN's in a formulation is they are cheaper than esters.

AN's would not meet jet engine specifications in the bearing cells for many reasons.

I was never impressed with Alkylated Naphthelenes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I you open a bottle of Mobil anything you will see some cloudiness.

That's due to AN's.

They have been around for quite some time.

I still have some in the lab.

thumbsup2.gif

Alkylated Naphthelene's are used as ester substitutes for solvency in PAO oils and is less hygroscopic than some esters (but not all).

The main reason for using AN's in a formulation is they are cheaper than esters.

AN's would not meet jet engine specifications in the bearing cells for many reasons.

I was never impressed with Alkylated Naphthelenes.

Would there be an advantage to using both? I was under the impression that's what Tri-syn was: PAO/Esters/AN's
21.gif

http://www.oil-club.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/5.0_uts_synesstic.pdf

And notice the esters in which they are comparing are adipate esters, not the advanced polyol esters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/729151/Alkylated_Naphthalenes#Post729151

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nth#Post1252272

All right, then! So, they compare with a low quality of an ester, just to say:

" Well, it looks better than Esters, SEE?"

Marketing gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back