Oil reusablity

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats what oil filters are for....

Ok that changes what? I would never waste oil that has 50 miles on it. Yes, even if drained from another vehicle. ML oil is just fine and wont hurt anything. [/quote]

Do this.

Fill your car with fresh new oil. Then drain it thoroughly into a drain pan. Picture a beautiful summer day,slight breeze blowing. Unless you live in a surgically clean bubble,dirt,sand,dust,etc WILL end up in your freshly drained oil (plus what's in the bottom of your oil drain pan). Use your eyeballs and look closely at it. If you want that being poured into your car,that's your prerogative. Me,I'll happily pry open my wallet and visit my friendly neighborhood Walmart and spend $14-$15 bones on a shiny new jug of lubricating happiness
laugh.gif
[/quote] [/quote]

I would use it. If you drained it into a clean drain pan, no problems at all, just pour it in to another vehicle.
If there may have been a little dirt and such in the pan, filter it through a coffee filter or such to get larger particles out, then use it.
Or use it as a top off oil if needed in other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How does the Purolator compare?

Oh my, you really must actually be new to this forum. I'll explain it shortly.

Purolator oil filters have been tearing the past couple of years. Purolator doesn't really acknowledge it, and they have now released a new version for each of their filters. They tore very often, and I wouldn't use one for my car even if it were free.

You're safe with the Fram.
They "tore very often" What does that mean in numbers? "Very often" for me was about 300K on a Camry for me without a single tear.

To phillipp10,what the [censored] did you do to my post on page 2?? Haha
laugh.gif

Hey if you want those two jugs of aforementioned pp,they're all yours homey. Feel free to use them in your car,and hopefully your oil filter can "filter" out all the spiderwebs,dirt,moisture,dust,and all other [censored] from the past 4 or so oil changes that I've used them as drain jugs for. Are you sure you still wan to use that oil in your car?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My personal opinion would be a bad filter.
It ain't the oil.

I put fram tough guard...to restrictive?

She claims that even after changing its still louder. Must be the filter.

Last edited:
Any OTS filter will flow far more oil than the engine requires. No oil filter is a significant source of restriction to flow.
I just think that you happened to pick up a defective individual filter, which can happen with any product produced in the millions each year.
If the owner said that the car didn't sound right, she would know, having driven it daily for many years and miles.
I've never had any engine sound worse on any fresh oil, so the oil cannot have been the culprit.
That leaves only the likelihood of a defective oil filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Do this.

Fill your car with fresh new oil. Then drain it thoroughly into a drain pan. Picture a beautiful summer day,slight breeze blowing. Unless you live in a surgically clean bubble,dirt,sand,dust,etc WILL end up in your freshly drained oil (plus what's in the bottom of your oil drain pan). Use your eyeballs and look closely at it. If you want that being poured into your car,that's your prerogative. Me,I'll happily pry open my wallet and visit my friendly neighborhood Walmart and spend $14-$15 bones on a shiny new jug of lubricating happiness
laugh.gif

Been there done that buddy. Last week I had an issue with my Mag-Hytec tranny cover gasket leaking. Drained the 7 quarts out of the pan into my everyday catch pan that I wipe out after every use. Pulled the pan and used the trusty ol' Permatex "Right stuff" and let it sit overnight. I tossed cardboard over the drain bucket overnight and then poured it right back into the truck. There was no way I was going to ditch three week old ATF+4.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Been there done that buddy. Last week I had an issue with my Mag-Hytec tranny cover gasket leaking. Drained the 7 quarts out of the pan into my everyday catch pan that I wipe out after every use. Pulled the pan and used the trusty ol' Permatex "Right stuff" and let it sit overnight. I tossed cardboard over the drain bucket overnight and then poured it right back into the truck. There was no way I was going to ditch three week old ATF+4.

You're a much braver soul than I,especially when it comes to a transmission. I'm sure your transmission fluid was more than likely ok to reuse,but seeing that trannies can cost up to $4000+,I'd gladly buy fresh new fluid.

It's a little hard to see in the picture,but this is a 5 quart jug of Valvoline conventional that I sat on the ground for a few minutes after an oil change (I'd already poured in the spec'd 4.5 quarts,so I went inside for a few minutes,leaving the remaining half quart with the lid off sitting next to my car on the driveway). It was a little windy that day. If you look close,you can see a bunch of small specs on the bottom of the jug. That's dirt and sand that ended up in the oil from about 5-10 minutes sitting outside on a windy day. Needless to say I recycled that half quart at Autozone.

2aqqaf.jpg

I have no issue reusing any fluid, however you have to ensure the container you are draining it into is surgically clean.

If not I might try some sort of filtration.

FWIW, I have reused partially used up oil a number of times without incident. I take normal precautions, like whiping the catch pan down with a solvent before draining, then trying to avoid any specks of dirt or debris from falling in.

I think its only a minimal amount of contamination that results, and I believe most any "off the shelf" filter will easily catch anything that does work its way in. 20 microns (or so) of filtration should quickly clean contamination out.

Personally, I would reuse it in a beater car/truck that consumes oil. Or give it to a friend that has an oil consumption issue for top offs. Not just recycle it --- that would be a waste.

I went through a ton of used oil on a old work truck. There were no problems at all. Mind you this was well used oil not some super low mileage stuff. As for slightly used ATF I heard that you could use it on rocker panels to help prevent rust.

I changed my oil recently on my VW Jetta and re-used the drain plug washer one too many times. It was leaking, so I drained the oil out after only 1 day of driving (60 miles) and plan on re-using it next oil change. I bought a new drain pan specifically to make sure it was not contaminated. I moved the oil from the clean drain pan to the 5 gallon jug I just poured the new oil out of, so everything should be good.

In short, you will be fine as long as nothing got contaminated.

Little old mom is suffering from "Confirmation Bias" because something was changed, we are all susceptible to it, you'll soon it's 'better' 'worse' 'faster' 'smoother', whatever you think you're hoping for, in her case she's a worry wart.

"Confirmation Bias" is very real and a big deal, airline pilots have crashed planes because of it!

That's why clinical tests are 'double blind' so test administrators can't manipulate tests to suit their own bias!

As far as re-usability of old oil, last year I started taking QS full synthetic from my fav car and using it on oil changes on the winter beater! Oil analysis showed good additives, low wear metals and Total Base Number of 3.0 or more!

Oh yeah, I used 3 new paint strainer cones stacked in a funnel to filter the used oil as I transferred from the oil drain pan into a Jug! Worked great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back