The Top Dexos2 Oil Available in the USA is What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GuinnessGuy
Here is a link to the Dexos 2 approved oils in the US and everywhere else. http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Interesting list that looks like a VW one, as it approves any old company that applies.

Things went downhill after Acea A3/B4, although Brexit will mean the UK will dump the Acea game and go with API!

There is no cheap answer to reduced Zinc based additives causing higher wear metals (Mostly cylinders). Ceratec (DPF approved) is not cheap.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Best F100
Is there anyone who knows if Mobil 1 5W30 ESP will functionally work as well as any of the Dexos2 rated suggestions for this vehicle? It has a SA of only 0.6. If not, what are the drawbacks (other than lack of Dexos2 certifications)?

I do not see any drawbacks. Low SA, very high flash point (254c), very good pour pint, HTHS of 3.58.
I personally think among Low-SAPS oils this one is the best. As far as I know, according to some people here VW 504.00/507.00 is most stringent spec among 5W30 oils when it comes to wear, and M1 5W30 ESP and Pennzoil PP Euro are meeting that spec.

Most VW owners that have a TDI in particular ignore that approvals as they are for best fuel economy, not cam wear. They use mostly 5 or 10w40's, although the DPF afflicted use low Saps 0w40's as there are more of those oils with a DPF approval.

Is there anyone who knows if Mobil 1 5W30 ESP will functionally work as well as any of the Dexos2 rated suggestions for this vehicle? It has a SA of only 0.6. If not, what are the drawbacks (other than lack of Dexos2 certifications)?

Doesn't the owners manual say you can also use ACEA C3 oil, when DEXOS 2 is not available? Mobil 1 5W30 ESP is an ACEA C3 oil and therefore, there shouldn't be a problem using it and shouldn't void the warranty.

I'll go with what Tired trucker said on page 2, and add Mobil Elite 10w30 or Mobil 1300 10w30.
Expect to see a cross hatch on the cylinders at the 1 million mile mark.

I have seen some very good results with the Delvac Elite 10w30. Lots of folks in the commercial truck community are moving to it now. I am using a Schaeffer 10w30 syn blend in a Detroit and have very good results with it. But if I weren't, I would jump on the Delvac Elite pretty quickly myself.

I did not like Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 ( its was unbelievably loud in my 2.0 Diesel ). I am Running Castrol Euro 5w-30 right now and am running Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 next OCI.
I would stick with Pennzoil Euro L 5W30.

Dexos 1 and Dexos 2 are only marketing tools used by GM. Sure all the labeled oils must meet a minimum quality standard in order to be allowed to purchase the marketing rights to place the name on their bottles, but it is not a guarantee of a high quality oil.

Just another way for GM to extort a few more dollars from oil blenders. One of the first Dexos labeled oils was Turkey Hill or Turkey Creek. Never heard of them until last year when I saw they operate a chain of convenience stores/gas stations in Pennsylvania.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
but it is not a guarantee of a high quality oil.

giphy.gif

For folks who want actual information, and not absurd forum gossip, here's the rundown on 2nd generation dexos1, which goes live Janurary 1, 2017...

GM Stochastic Pre-Ignition Test
GM Aeration Test
GM Turbocharger Deposit Test
GM Oxidation and Deposit Test
The Sequence VID Test
New European Drive Cycle Fuel Economy Test
GM Valve Train Wear Test
GM Oil Release Test
Peugeot High Temp Deposits, Ring Sticking, Oil Thickening Test
Sequence VG Low Temperature Sludge Test
M271 Sludge Test
Sequence VIII Bearing Corrosion Test

DO NOT change your own oil and filter in your new Chevy Truck. Only have the Dealer do this seemingly simple service.

GM is having LOTS of problems with their engines lately and will use any excuse to deny warranty coverage for a failed engine. You MUST HAVE Dealer service records for any warranty claim. A failed engine is a very expensive out of pocket repair.

And I contain to support my statement that Dexos 1 and Dexos 2 are only marketing tools. Thirty five years in GM's Powertrain Division, until their lies became too much to endure.

Last edited:
Someone isn't familiar with Magnusson-Moss.

If you have proof of your oil changes with approved oil and filter, that is all you need for warranty.

DO NOT change your own oil and filter in your new Chevy Truck. Only have the Dealer do this seemingly simple service.

GM is having LOTS of problems with their engines lately and will use any excuse to deny warranty coverage for a failed engine. You MUST HAVE Dealer service records for any warranty claim. A failed engine is a very expensive out of pocket repair.

And I contain to support my statement that Dexos 1 and Dexos 2 are only marketing tools. Thirty five years in GM's Powertrain Division, until their lies became too much to endure.

Sorry man, as long as you used approved oil and filter, GM or any other company cannot deny claim by the law.

As said earlier, you are not familiar with the law. Make sure you use an approved oil and filter and change it according to when the owners manual says so, and by law, they have to honor the warranty. However, if its say you need to use Dexos1 or 2, do so. No matter how much its a marketing tool. After warranty, you can do what ever you want.

one thing i will say seeing you live in a warm area a 10W-30 would be better, less VI improvers required is GOOD!!

As a follow up, I was recently told by ExxonMobil that Mobil 1 5W30 ESP has been Dexos2 approved. That will make it my "go to" over the counter option.

To the "experts":
What ill effects (if any), will result if I use a Delo 5W30 in this Colorado Diesel pickup, which calls for Dexos2 certifications. This would be when out of warranty, of course. I believe Dexos2 approved motor oils have 0.80 sulfated ash levels. Most Delo products are around 1.0 sulfated ash levels.

As a follow up, I was recently told by ExxonMobil that Mobil 1 5W30 ESP has been Dexos2 approved. That will make it my "go to" over the counter option.

To the "experts":
What ill effects (if any), will result if I use a Delo 5W30 in this Colorado Diesel pickup, which calls for Dexos2 certifications. This would be when out of warranty, of course. I believe Dexos2 approved motor oils have 0.80 sulfated ash levels. Most Delo products are around 1.0 sulfated ash levels.

Last edited:
Just use what the dealer has. Dealers in my area have Delco and Mobil Super 3000. Both are on the Dexos 2 list

We have a bunch in the commercial fleet - please back "LOTS" with something grounded in reality ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back