What kind of oil drain plug gasket is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find a new one of these. This came off my 1997 GMC Sierra's oil drain plug and is made of hard plastic. I used it for years and it always sealed up nice with out leaking ever. It cracked last oil change and I went to NAPA to get a new one and they don't have one like this and said they have never seen one like this. Does anyone know what this is and if maybe it was factory installed?
Like it said it is hard plastic and seems to be shaped to the hole in the pan on one side and more flat on the other. Thanks for the help!!!

Get a copper drain plug washer ... they never wear out, or crack/break and can be reused forever. Auto parts stores should carry copper drain plug washers in every size.

I haven't seen one like that either.

1997 Sierra? You need an 11562588.

F65731013.jpg

I wonder if the plastic part detached itself from the drain bolt? Is there a recess in the bolt flange for it?

Somebody in the past put an old nylon washer on there that was popular in the seventies on back and that is why it broke the one in the picture with the gasket made to it is correct. Some places do sell just the rubber insert and some only sell drain plug with gasket made to it.

That was an improperly installed washer, likely from a quick lube. Throw it away and buy a new drain bolt with the proper rubber o-ring.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I'm trying to find a new one of these. This came off my 1997 GMC Sierra's oil drain plug and is made of hard plastic. I used it for years and it always sealed up nice with out leaking ever. It cracked last oil change and I went to NAPA to get a new one and they don't have one like this and said they have never seen one like this. Does anyone know what this is and if maybe it was factory installed?
Like it said it is hard plastic and seems to be shaped to the hole in the pan on one side and more flat on the other. Thanks for the help!!!

My 98 S-10 had a rubber gasket and a magnetic plug. It does have a profile to it, its not a flat plug.

The original did well for a long time. Replaced with a Fel Pro and they start to weep pretty fast.

Next Im going to go with a gold plug and a metal gasket. They seem to work well...

That's a nylon washer. Find one the right size at a parts store or at a local hardware store. Don't listen too much to the rest. I replaced the metal washer on my 89 Accord with a nylon washer and it sealed perfectly for well over ten years, until it cracked like yours. My 72 Pontiac used that type of washer from the factory and it was still not dripping after eighteen years of use.

You just can't crank down the bolt with all your strength with a nylon washer. Make it pretty snug and you're good to go.

They should be in the HELP! section and packaged by Dorman. usually in packs of 5. NAPA apparently doesn't know what they have.

I bought a pack of 5 from ebay for $6.

Dorman 65272 Oil Drain Plug Gasket 9/16" M14 Package of 5

Oil-drain-plug gaskets are nonresuable parts. They need to be replaced each time the oil-drain plug is removed.

Get a pack of ten or so from somewhere as others said. OEM gasket is probably only $1 a piece at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back