Permatex Silicone Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever use the Permatex Self-fusing Silicone Tape? How well does it work and what did you use it on? I saw it at the store and bought it thinking I would eventually use it for something.
lol.gif

There are several brands, I picket up two. I've used it to reinforce the ends of my notebook cord and a couple of chargers. I think I've used it if several other things.

good stuff

The self fusing tape I've used only sticks to itself. Great for electrical insulation, especially where it may need to be removed at a future time, but I don't think it will seal a pipe under pressure.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
The self fusing tape I've used only sticks to itself. Great for electrical insulation, especially where it may need to be removed at a future time, but I don't think it will seal a pipe under pressure.

It says it's good up to 700 psi. It shows it being used on radiator hoses, electrical cords and pvc pipe leaks.

I have many rolls of F-4 tape from my USAF days, same stuff as Permatex only uncle Sam pays 100 times more than we would. When it reached it's shelf life we'd have to dispose of it so it was free. Still works good 30 years after it expired. I keep it in my auto tool pouch for emergencies and have also used it to wrap my wooden garden tool handles when they splinter.

On my car cooling system, a rubber plug crack and was spilling coolant.
The silicone tape controlled the crack and is still holding up, while I'm getting a replacement.

Do keep one in your car for emergency, you never know when you need it.

I have used the Permatex & other brands of Self-fusing Silicone Tape for HAM radio antennas, sealed the coax connectors to the antenna and coax to connector. Stretched & wrapped a couple layers and years later when/if need to open found all connectors were well protected.
I know I've used it for a couple other applications but memory can't recall right now
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back