What kind of oil drain plug gasket is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find a new one of these. This came off my 1997 GMC Sierra's oil drain plug and is made of hard plastic. I used it for years and it always sealed up nice with out leaking ever. It cracked last oil change and I went to NAPA to get a new one and they don't have one like this and said they have never seen one like this. Does anyone know what this is and if maybe it was factory installed?
Like it said it is hard plastic and seems to be shaped to the hole in the pan on one side and more flat on the other. Thanks for the help!!!

Dorman sells those nylon drain washers.

Over time, they develop the indentions of the pan and bolt head, very much like the one you have pictured. They do work very well.

Last edited:
It's either a broken one, or a C O ring!

Don't reuse it, just visit the local stealer, as it looks like it was made in the far East and got stuck on the filter or sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
It's either a broken one, or a C O ring!

Don't reuse it, just visit the local stealer, as it looks like it was made in the far East and got stuck on the filter or sump.
Install the c o ring with the open part pointing up and oil doesn't run up hill so it will be ok?

the plug that was shown above is the stock plug on newer chevies. If your going to buy one, buy two instead and put it somewhere safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflop
the plug that was shown above is the stock plug on newer chevies. If your going to buy one, buy two instead and put it somewhere safe.

Two Chevies or drain plugs?

Even though this style is reported to work well (see above), I hate 'em.
The hard plastic gasket I've seen is pale blue and often comes with replacement drain plugs.
I'd automatically replace it with a combined metal/neoprene gasket. These are rubbery near the hole and metal at outside of the washer.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Originally Posted By: Superflop

Two Chevies or drain plugs?

BOTH!

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
I replace the one in my truck with aluminum

Copper if it's a diesel, matching alloy if it's a petrol (Flammable gas) job.
Never reuse a filter gasket or O ring, unless it's an OEM Copper one for the oil or fuel filter and you have sanded it 100% flat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back