toshiba 720p 28" TV hdmi to thinkpad vga cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IBM THINKPAD T60, has VGA female port on side. Bought new Toshiba 28" LCD monitor, 720p, USB port, 2 HDMI ports (male) and composite ports, TV was open box certified by Best Buy, $110 with tax, extended 2 year warranty, shipping, thought 28" would be a good size. NOW, I need appropriate cable, I think VGA male on Thinkpad to HDMI female, and power supply in cable.USB work? to USB on TV? WHAT REASONABLE PRICED ALTERNATIVES? Some cable units say 1080p, or one way (the only way is the wrong way). Anyway, just want to make sure I get the correct cable at economical price. A 720p 28" TV should be a good monitor as well, esp. as my nearby 19" TV (Emerson from Wal-Mart) is flaky and dying, so this could be two improvements for a modest amount. Thoughts?

Ideally the tv would have VGA in. Not sure if you can easily return it and get a similar priced one with VGA? Every time you adapt something from one standard to another you have the potential to ruin the picture and get headaches etc from staring at it.

Even more ideally the laptop would have HDMI-- it's all digital-- but that's a tougher upgrade path as I'm sure you're attached to the laptop.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is the native resolution? 720 seems kind of low for a 28" monitor.

I actually have a legally blind client with a 720p 32" TV as a monitor hooked up the the HDMI on their lappy. Works surprisingly well for her. It is really not as bad as you would think, but screen real estate runs out QUICK.

If you use this "monitor" for text /normal computer use it will be lacking and hard to read especially with vga.

If it is to extend your display and watch media it will work. Text is very difficult for a tv
To display well.

+1 if you're going to be doing text work on the computer you should return that 720 TV and get a 1080, one with a VGA input so it will plug and play to the laptop without converting.

720s are OK for watching movies, or as Punisher said, if you're not able to see small detail anyway and just need a big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back