Anton Yelchin, dead pinned by his own car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My stepfather has a 300 with the same shifter...he says that anyone needing more than 2 days to figure out the shifter should have his license revoked. (It took him about an hour.)

The primary control for an automobile should be simple enough for any trained driver to figure out in 2 seconds, not 2 days or an hour even. I once figured out how to drive a car in which the steering direction was reversed reasonably well in about a minute but that doesn't mean it would be an OK way to make a car!

The case study of the DC10 cargo door is illustrative - the latching handle could be closed and secured in the locked position, but due to a problem with the actual locking mechanism, the door might not be locked. So the operator would think the door was locked, but it really wasn't. The 747 had a similar problem though I don't believe it resulted in any crashes like the DC10's.

It appears these FCA trannys allow the operator to make a control motion that they believe puts the car in park, but it's really not, and since there's no physical or tactile feedback it's not necessarily obvious without checking a visual indicator, unlike just about every other design out there.

jeff

There is a tactile feel, there are detents you feel as you row through the gears. Each time I ended up in the wrong gear I knew it by feel and confirmed with the indicator.

It is overly complex, the knob on the Durango makes more sense but still has an unnatural feel to it. All of these electronic shifters require a little more thought than the traditional cable driven units that were the standard for decades.

The recall has been expanded:

"Fiat Chrysler announced Thursday the recall of 13,092 model year 2014 Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli sedans in the United States that feature the same transmissions and “Monostable electronic gear shift” included in the previous recall covering some Jeep Grand Cherokees, Dodge Chargers, and Chrysler 300 vehicles."

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/23/confu...dium=socialflow

What is so hard about setting the parking brake? My co-worker has a newer Chrysler 200 and his automatically applies the parking brake when the vehicle is put into park. You have to push the brake pedal and the button to take it off.

It is like a safety on a gun P works usually but sometimes it fails.

Sad he was young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back