Oil for Japanese 90's Turbo Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out what oil I should be using for a 3S-GTE in Australia with ~140,000km. The turbo is oil cooled by drip feed and the car does burn a bit of oil (the classic 90's toyota smell) but not enough that I've seen any great change on the dipstick over the last 6 months.

All I have on my engine lid is 10W-30 synthetic changed every 5000km, and the manual isn't the one that came with the car as the car is an import. This is a 26 year old recommendation and what I've gotten from a lot of googling is that oil was "different" back then. There are recommendations from 5W-20 to 15W-65...

I was thinking of using something like Penrite HPR 5W-40 synthetic as it is ~10 degrees warmer in Australia where I live on average than in tokyo (Was just trying to match climate data in Japan), but my concern is that using a thinner cold oil may burn faster. 10W-30 synthetics are not exactly easy to find these days either.

Without getting too much in to the hard science of it my question is along the lines of - should I be focusing on getting the same grade, or figuring out what the comparable grade is these days?

Hi Mate, Welcome !!

That is a Turbo Celica isn't it ?

A mate of mine had one of those back then, and he ran Castrol Edge 0W-40 in it without any problems. The full synthetic HPR 5 would be a very similar product.

I would use a full synthetic with an older turbo.

Yes, 10W-30 synthetic is hard to find here and when you do it's an ILSAC GF-5 (resource conserving) oil. Which wouldn't be my first choice.

If you wanted to run a 30 grade oil, I would consider full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4, which is a heavier and more performance orientated 30 grade oil. Castrol also make a full synthetic Stop-Start Magnatec 5W-30 which is SN and A3/B4 which is also a heavier 30 grade oil and I think suitable. Just don't confuse it with the ILSAC semi-synthetic Fuel Saver Magnatec 5W-30.

Around me, at SuperCheap Auto to 26 June (this Sunday), it's 35% off the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A3/B4 (Stop-Start), it's $34 for 5L. I know what I would be putting in it this weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks man, Comprehensive! It's actually an MR2, but same dealio (Just a different intercooler setup). Cheers for the heads up about the SCA sale too

If a 10W-30 synth was the factory recomedation, then I would suggest a decent synth 10W-40 because of the minor oil burning. I would think that in Oz a good 10W-40 would be easier to find than it is here in the states.

Hard to beat an A3/B4 LL-01 oil. The LL-01 certification means you can rest assured knowing the oil passed rigorous turbo-engine tests.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
If a 10W-30 synth was the factory recomedation, then I would suggest a decent synth 10W-40 because of the minor oil burning. I would think that in Oz a good 10W-40 would be easier to find than it is here in the states.

Good point, but unfortunately not many full synthetic 10W-40 oils in Australia. You can get Nulon and STP, but I personally consider these second tier brands, some people do like them though.

There are LOTS of 10W-40 Semi-Synthetics around, which would be OK, but I really prefer a full synthetic for older turbos that put a lot of heat stress on the oil.

The one full synthetic 10W-40 that is worth mentioning is Penrite 10-Tenths Racing 10W-40, which is a 100% PAO & Ester synthetic, fully shear stable, with high Zinc (1680ppm), high Boron (630ppm), good TBN (9.8), massive HTHS of 4.45 and real oil approvals (API SN & ACEA A3/B3). This oil is so good it will get you through a zombie apocalypse.

There are many good 5W-40 full synthetics worth considering.
- Valvoline SynPower 5W40 it's SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.3
- Castrol Edge 5W40 it's SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.3, Porsche A40
- Penrite HPR5 5W40 it's SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 it's SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40 and is a GTL based synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back