Kendall GT-1 (w/titanium?) 20w-50 for airheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read online or talk to folks in person about the best oils for BMW airhead motorcycles, I never see the Kendall products mentioned. I always thought Kendall was a nasty sludge maker like Penz and Quaker, but I know that was the bad old days and all brand name oils are way past that. Also, Kendall has always been associated with Harley. When I look at the numbers and the additive package, this looks like a great oil for airheads, which are very similar to Harley in terms of poorly controlled temps.) Any airhead guys out there use this oil with long-term results?

I know Kendall GT1 along with Valvoline VR1 in 20w50 has returned excellent UOA numbers in the hot running Harley Twin Cam engines. I can see no reason why either would not perform equally well in an air cooled BMW boxer engine. I do believe VR1 to be the slightly better oil though for longer drain intervals.

Last edited:
Todays oils aren't like the 1970 oils. All oils can sludge up if run too long.

The Kendall BRAND of today is no relation to the Kendall company of old.

Kendall is the top tier oil in the ConnocoPhillips family, loaded with add packs.

It is very competitively priced, loaded with good stuff, and over 50% synthetic blend. A sleeper oil for sure!

I ran the Castrol GTX 20W-50 of yore for 300,000 miles in 2 /5 BMWs. I am sure they have no special need for the "best" oil. That Kendall would be fine.

Thr VR-1 Syn and Dino have been great in my R1200R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back