Prototype photo shows off Tesla Model 3 interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Although Tesla has officially launched the Model 3 (and hundreds of thousands of people have put down $1,000 to reserve one), we still don't know exactly what it looks like.

Helping to fill in the gaps are some new prototype photos, leaked yesterday on Reddit, which show off the interior surprisingly clearly.

As the pictures show, Tesla has really re-thought what the interior of a car should look like. There's no instrument cluster or central buttons. Instead, everything is controlled by a "floating" 15-inch display, placed between the driver and passenger. There's also speculation that the lack of an instrument cluster means the Model 3 will have a heads-up display to show speed, turn-by-turn navigation and battery charge.

The new interior photo shows a clean, all-black design with zero clutter. Some have speculated that the minimalist interior, with few physical driving controls, points to a self-driving capability for the Model 3.

Interior is truly uncluttered, nothing on the center console, nothing on the dash and nothing on steering wheel either.

Where is the gear selector ? The one you shift from P to D or R or N ? Is it on the 15" display ?

wenMG3e.jpg

Trunk opening looks fairly large, easy to load/unload stubs. Hard to say how deep and how large the trunk is.

0X2xwBB.jpg

The rear looks simple, probably too simple, no fancy crease anywhere and no oddly shape tail light.

I think the color is matte black. I think white is better.

This is my future car, I hope to get my hand on it sometime in 2018.

XrSRN9p.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/leaked-photos-show-off-tesla-model-3-beautiful-150502351.html

Last edited:
Gear selector looks to be in the same position as the model S, on the side of the steering column, no?

I think I'd probably buy an S over the 3, if they can get the interior quality up to par for the price point. The interior of the 3 is not appealing to me, and looks a lot cheaper than what is in the S, and I found that cheap, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Gear selector looks to be in the same position as the model S, on the side of the steering column, no?

I think I'd probably buy an S over the 3, if they can get the interior quality up to par for the price point. The interior of the 3 is not appealing to me, and looks a lot cheaper than what is in the S, and I found that cheap, LOL!
grin.gif

First thing, Model S is too expensive for us, secondly I like smaller size, something in the BMW 2 or 3 series or Audi A3 or A4 size, and Model 3 looks like that size.

To me, current Accord and Camry are too big, Civic and Corolla are better for me.

Model 3 interior doesn't look very high quality. Tesla spends most money on 60 KWh Li-on battery so they have very little left for interior, they don't want to sell every one of them at a lost, which they can't afford(they have no money). Remember, Fiat's CEO said that Tesla can't have any profit for selling Model 3 at $35k without option. He also said that he lost $14k for every 500E sold at $32k, and this car has a range of less than 100 miles.

One more thing, I said before and I am repeating it now: I was a little intimidated with all functions and gadgets in the base 2014 Accord. I know that it doesn't have as many functions as higher price cars.

Looking at picture of the interior of this Model 3 prototype I feel I can handle it, because there aren't many buttons, switches ... to mess up. To me, less buttons is better.

Don't you agree that the interior is uncluttered(cheap, but not cluttered with dozens buttons) ?

Last edited:
I think the interior will be their down fall. Looks cheap and touch screen instead of physical buttons is a mistake. That touch screen sure is going to be fun in the cold with gloves on.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Don't you agree that the interior is uncluttered(cheap, but not cluttered with dozens buttons) ?

Yes, I think it looks uncluttered but I think they did a better job of integrating the screen in the S, and probably should have taken the same approach here IMHO, as it just looks "cleaner"
smile.gif

At $30k-range price point, if that's the price, interior doesn't come into play. Look at what other 30k cars are out there... That includes accord and Camry v6 models.

This car isn't necessarily a true high end segment, and some wannabe high end cars (Acura ilx, Audi A3) actually have some elements that are nicer in their low end form because it's not trying too hard to please the poser wannabe segment.

That 15" tablet looks goofy.

What happens when the screen freezes?

I'm am so very happy that I have real buttons and controls in my 2016 Sportwagen. Much easier to turn a knob, without even casting your eyes down. I'm sure in the Telsa, you'd just speak to it, though. It'll be self driving by the time they're actually for sale!

I figured my 2016 could be the last manual and driver'd car I buy!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
At $30k-range price point, if that's the price, interior doesn't come into play. Look at what other 30k cars are out there... That includes accord and Camry v6 models.

This car isn't necessarily a true high end segment, and some wannabe high end cars (Acura ilx, Audi A3) actually have some elements that are nicer in their low end form because it's not trying too hard to please the poser wannabe segment.

That 15" tablet looks goofy.

Pure electric vehicle with range more than 200 miles is more than $10-15k more than compatible ICE vehicle(in size). Look at Fiat 500E, MSRP is $32,xxx and Fiat CEO said he lost $14k for each one sold, he didn't want to sell even 1 more than he needed to satisfy California regulation.

That has to be fake picture, the interior looks like a golf cart with an iPad stuck in the middle of the dash. No way that is the final design.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Pure electric vehicle with range more than 200 miles is more than $10-15k more than compatible ICE vehicle(in size). Look at Fiat 500E, MSRP is $32,xxx and Fiat CEO said he lost $14k for each one sold, he didn't want to sell even 1 more than he needed to satisfy California regulation.

Take a look at the Bolt. http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That has to be fake picture, the interior looks like a golf cart with an iPad stuck in the middle of the dash. No way that is the final design.

X2. Looks like a Club Car.

Where are the vents?

Bolt has MSRP of $37.5k. But we don't know if GM make any money on Bolt, or they may loose some but gain market share ?

Tesla needs to earn some profit for selling base Model 3 at $35k, because they don't have ICE vehicles to cover EV lost.

Remember, when GM did the EV1, they leased few thousands for few years, they lost 1 billion doing it.

Originally Posted By: reuters.com
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker's Fiat 500e electric car: Don't buy it. He's tired of losing money.

Speaking at a conference in Washington on Wednesday, Marchionne said Tesla Motors Inc was the only company making money on electric cars and that was because of the higher price point for its Model S sedan. Decrying the federal and state mandates that push manufacturers to build electric cars, Marchionne said he hoped to sell the minimum number of 500e cars possible.

"I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000," he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. "I'm honest enough to tell you that."

Originally Posted By: reuters.com
"I will sell the (minimum) of what I need to sell and not one more," Marchionne said of the 500e.

Chrysler filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and received a U.S taxpayer-funded bailout. Italy's Fiat took over the U.S. automaker at the time and completed the buyout earlier this year.

"If we just build those vehicles, we'll be back asking ... in Washington for a second bailout because we'll be bankrupt," Marchionne said of electric cars.

The state of California's zero-emission vehicle mandates and federal fuel efficiency requirements for 2025 were pushing the need for electric cars, but Marchionne said he would prefer the U.S. Department of Energy simply set targets and let the automakers achieve them in their own way.

http://www.reuters.com/article/chrsyelr-ceo-evs-idUSL1N0O71MS20140521

Originally Posted By: digitaltrends.com
Marchionne, who once asked people not to buy the Fiat 500e because the company lost money on every unit, doesn’t see how Tesla can possibly plan to make money on the Model 3 with its starting price of $35,000. Considering the huge number of Model 3 reservations and the resultant increase in stock price, the FCA CEO drew an analogy to a market bubble. He doesn’t see the long-term profitability.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/fiat-chrysler-ceo-marchionne-electric-cars/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back