Best offline navigation for Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be doing some driving in Canada soon. I think wife's truck has Canada maps installed, so we should be all set, but just as backup, I wanted to have something installed on my phone that could be used without a need for a data plan.

Some time back I used Osmand and it worked OK, although a bit complicated. Anything better out there that I should consider?

Thanks!

Be wary on Canada maps. I found mine (Honda Acura) only work just over border about 100 miles. They did include places further up that were urban centers.

Another alternative if you cell and data service is buy a prepaid SIM card for a Canadian provider. My office located in NS does this for me when I go up.

Here used to let you download maps and work offline, at least for windows phone.

I presume it would for android.

If it's just a backup... This.

0528013203_midsize_easyfinder_ra.png

Originally Posted By: Subdued
the default google maps app allows you to download maps for offline use

Yes, but then I've read somewhere that while the maps are stored locally, you still need data plan for the app to calculate routing directions. Not sure if that's true or not.

Trying MapFactor GPS right now. For now it seems fairly straightforward. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
If it's just a backup... This.

0528013203_midsize_easyfinder_ra.png

That should be standard for any trip.

I'm interested in this as well for a Nexus tablet I was given. I don't have a dataplan or cell to use with it.

I still rely on paper maps, but they're getting really hard to read in dim light and at night.

Here maps on Windows phone allowed you to download the states and provinces you wanted to the phone. Worked in areas without cell coverage just fine.

I have not downloaded it to my android phone, but I'd assume it has the same capability on other platforms.

Interested, I tried Navigator GPS which had one very annoying feature: It wouldn't allow me to completely remove the last two "data windows" from the screen. Further, they took up considerable screen area when the tablet was turned sideways.

So next I installed Osmand. Preserves the whole screen area, nice OpenSource maps, plenty of features, and overlays available (for extra cost I believe) and works fine offline, which is essential to me since the Nexus tablet I have has no GPS and I don't have a roaming data plan.

You have to dwnld the "world map" first, else it might crash. Works fine now.

What did you decide to go with?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
What did you decide to go with?

Right now I have MapFactor GPS installed. Interface is fairly simple and there are no limitations to how many map regions you can download for free like there is with the free version of Osmand.

However, I also pulled out my old Garmin unit and updated the maps on it. I will probably just take it with me and keep it in the car as backup. But when I'm outside of the car and just walking around, and need directions, I'll pull up MapFactor on my phone.

I'm always leery when an app wants a ton of access permissions. MapFactor isn't too bad in that regard and I'm grabbing it. Good find Quattro!!

Osmand free does have that limitation. For my current use, it's not a concern however. It does save on memory use though as you can just download those areas of interest.

Cricket includes Canada call/text/data on the 50$ a month or higher plans(45$ with autopay includes taxes and fees)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back