Going To Florida From The East Coast- Secret Route

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, except that airline travel these days is full of hassles.
On our last trip, we wouldn't have had the privilege of sitting in the back of an MD-90 having paid a ridiculous fare had we not had pre-check. We would have missed our flight despite having arrived at the airport two hours before scheduled departure.
If we had had to wait with the proles in the regular lines, we would have missed our flight.
Not everyone's idea of blissful travel and not everyone would be keen to fly on a 24 YO A320 like the aircraft you've shown.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
This is the secret route:

Flying was great before 9/11. After that, too much time stuck in the airport. I hate airports. I think around 2007 or so was the last time I flew. I have even driven from NC to VT/ME and back multiple times just to stay out of the airports.

I didn't know DC had gotten that bad though. I haven't made that trip in a few years. DC has always been bad, but I haven't really found it to be any more aggravating than say Atlanta, just lots of stop and go. Atlanta is a cluster**** all the time for no apparent reason. Plenty of road there, just too many people doing whatever they want on it, then crashing or causing bottlenecks. If it rains, you'll definitely be sitting. The "bypass" is no help and sometimes worse than just going straight through downtown.

I live in the DC area in the western suburbs. As mentioned above, there is no magic route to Florida, you just need to time your travel through the area correctly. I can't tell you about Baltimore, but if you're on 495 in the late morning (during the week at least) you should be fine. Then heading south to Fredericksburg should be easy, and 295 will take you around Richmond, so you're home free. It's all about timing. Do it wrong and you'll be screwed.

n321us-delta-air-lines-airbus-a320-211_PlanespottersNet_214495.jpg

I would rather hitch-hike...its less hassle.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Like I said 12306, that 1.5 hours will easily be.made up if you hit DC traffic. I have personally driven the 45 miles from Springfield to Fredericksburg on 95 and have taken 5 hours to do it. I will never drive that stretch of highway again. I'll take the slightly.longer route with a definite travel time over the shorter route with a huge potential for delay.

I'll have to disagree with you, but in the end it's all about the way the stars align on the given day at the given hour you are passing through. 81N and S through Virginia can be littered with semis and traffic as well.

I drove down to visit my parents a few times in SW Florida when I lived in DC. As mentioned, there really isn't a magic route. I had the most success leaving late (9-10PM) and using Waze.

Yep- I'm trying to dream....... But I think you could save a few hours. I never seem to hit that area at a good time. Like I got to the Florida line last time it great time and sat at two accidents right over the line for 2 hours. I don't speed either as it gives you no advantage.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I drove down to visit my parents a few times in SW Florida when I lived in DC. As mentioned, there really isn't a magic route. I had the most success leaving late (9-10PM) and using Waze.

Just outside of Baltimore I used to hit route 40 on the way home as I have a Hatem Bridge pass. It was 9PM on a Thursday and it was so bad I no longer think 40 is a secret. I used to use route 40 but noticed about 6 years ago its every bit as bad as I95

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just outside of Baltimore I used to hit route 40 on the way home as I have a Hatem Bridge pass. It was 9PM on a Thursday and it was so bad I no longer think 40 is a secret. I used to use route 40 but noticed about 6 years ago its every bit as bad as I95

Yeah, Rt 40 is nothing special anymore. When driving home, unless 95 is closed or backed up for miles there is nearly no advantage to hop off to Rt 1, 7 or 40 to get into Cecil Co.

I have the commuter plan, so I can cross the river on the Tydings for $2.80 rather than $6 or $8. Yes, using the Hatem pass is cheaper at $20/year, and hopping off at Havre de Grace and getting back on at Perryville isn't bad, but by then, I just want to get home and not spend the extra 10-15 minutes to make the bypass as I've already spent 40 minutes on the road.

n321us-delta-air-lines-airbus-a320-211_PlanespottersNet_214495.jpg

Also the much more expensive route! We are taking our family of five to Florida this Christmas and to fly there would cost us about $2500 CDN (quite possibly more) but to drive there will be considerably less (it's definitely not going to cost anywhere near $2500 in gas!)

Sometimes I just go over the Conowingo dam for free and go that way out to 40 when my pass is expired. Now all the trucks are coming this way on our route 273 because its like $65 to cross the Hatem bridge and free the other way. Noisy at night here!

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Yeah, Rt 40 is nothing special anymore. When driving home, unless 95 is closed or backed up for miles there is nearly no advantage to hop off to Rt 1, 7 or 40 to get into Cecil Co.

I have the commuter plan, so I can cross the river on the Tydings for $2.80 rather than $6 or $8. Yes, using the Hatem pass is cheaper at $20/year, and hopping off at Havre de Grace and getting back on at Perryville isn't bad, but by then, I just want to get home and not spend the extra 10-15 minutes to make the bypass as I've already spent 40 minutes on the road.

I'd rather drive then deal with the airport anxiety.
My gf was a nurse and she said just look at it as a 12 hr shift. I do but the last time it was over 15 hrs because if one person pulls over on I95 to look at their tires its now a 45 minute delay because everyone has to gawk as they drive by.

I did it several times but driving 15-16 hrs straight by yourself is a bit tough.

Sometimes I just go over the Conowingo dam for free and go that way out to 40 when my pass is expired. Now all the trucks are coming this way on our route 273 because its like $65 to cross the Hatem bridge and free the other way. Noisy at night here!

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Sure they aren't just trying to skate around the weigh station? lol

I agree, a 15hr stretch is rough.

No there is one in that area- half the time most are closed- good!

They do that on purpose. They have way more than can be normally staffed. Once one opens up, it gets reported so the guy who won't pass will avoid it. So they move around and hence most of the time they're closed.

In your situation the smart option is leave for Florida between 9:00 PM and 4:00 AM.

I make runs to the south west coast of Fl. to Naples from Pittsburgh. I always leave at around 7:00 pm and never see any traffic all the way down. I-77 through Charlotte is the worse at rush hour so I make sure I hit it before 6 AM or 4 PM to miss the rush hour traffic. I get off at Exit 1 in Fl and run 200W to 301 so I can avoid Jacksonville metro traffic.

From where you're starting out from you really don't have a reasonable alternative to I-95.

Thanks!
You ever take 301 all the way down?
Its real bad outside of Baltimore

Originally Posted By: ALS
In your situation the smart option is leave for Florida between 9:00 PM and 4:00 AM.

I make runs to the south west coast of Fl. to Naples from Pittsburgh. I always leave at around 7:00 pm and never see any traffic all the way down. I-77 through Charlotte is the worse at rush hour so I make sure I hit it before 6 AM or 4 PM to miss the rush hour traffic. I get off at Exit 1 in Fl and run 200W to 301 so I can avoid Jacksonville metro traffic.

From where you're starting out from you really don't have a reasonable alternative to I-95.

Yep. 301 between Rte 50 and the Potomac River Waldorf La Plata area is no fun at the wrong times.. I will tell ya that Rte 301 south of Richmond And Petersburg runs right along side the interstate for long stretches. IF you wanted to drive 150 mph ... it could be done on 301. It's straight as an arrow in one part for like 5 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back